fav way to cook butternut squash?

Options

Replies

• kirili5
    kirili5 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I cut it up into cubes and boil it with a little salt. Then get rid of the water, mash it, add into a pan with tomato-based pasta sauce (olive from Barillia works great), then enjoy. Butternut squash also works great with tuna.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cut into chips and roast with salt and olive oil until crispy on outside ...great with fish

Make squash and lentil soup

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Roasted with onions, salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil, then blended with some vegetable stock. So good.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like to make the butternut squash, with black bean enchiladas on Skinnytaste....very yummy
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash rissoto: just cube it, roast, boil or pan-fry it. Cook some arborio rice (or sub another short-grain rice, I prefer jade rice, which is scented with bamboo) Add plenty of liquid (water, stock, broth, whatever) and stir until rice is tender (you should have a bit of liquid still, but it should be a creamy, thick consistency) and add the butternut squash along with any herb/spice mixture you'd like. Ginger, sage or nutmeg work great.

Wish I could give you exact quantities, but I usually just put it together until it looks "right."
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I roast it and make it into soup. Delish
  • hope4change24
    Options
    I JUST tried butternut squash like 2 weeks ago for the first time! The grandma of the little girls I care for brought it over a lasagna and it smelled SO good, but looked so weird. I don't know the exact recipe but it was stuffed with butternut squash and spinach and it was delicious. :D
  • perkgd
    perkgd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love Butternut squash. :) Most of the time we make it into a velvety soup. I also add it to most stews instead of potato. This past weekend I cubed it and added it to my chili. Turned out to be delicious and an excellent way to get additional nutrients and fiber.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Diced and thrown in the crockpot with other fall ingredients:
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/213042/savory-slow-cooker-squash-and-apple-dish?evt19=1

I use that recipe CONSTATLY and modify based on what I have in the fridge. No onion? No problem, still tastes great. Once I added pureed pumpkin that was about to go off.

I have been meaning to try this recipe, so I can't vouch for it yet:

http://theliveinkitchen.com/2014/01/22/butternut-squash-kale-risotto/
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Baked with butter and salt is really delicious.

However, it makes an amazing soup. Cook it in chicken broth with some ginger and a bit of honey (not much, because it's already sweet) and puree. Marvelous! If you eat bread, this is a good one for a bread bowl for a great meal.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    My mom has an amazing butternut squash and apple soup recipe that I just love:

2 butternut squashes
    2 green apples
    1 large onion, chopped
    8 cups vegetable broth (powder stuff)
    1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp. medium curry powder
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cut squashes in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Microwave them for 7-10 min...until soft enough to remove skins. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and cut into chunks. (Note: I usually cheat with this part and buy them pre-cut up from the supermarket... costs more but takes less time. Either works.)

Fry the onion until translucent. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Then simmer gently for 12-15 minutes.

Puree the soup when cool.

Makes 8-10 servings.

That soup looks wonderful!

• jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    1. Roasted in the oven with other veggies and/or potatoes. It goes really well with roasted pork loin (roast everything in one pan - delish!)

2. Butternut squash and potato soup - roast yellow potatoes; roast butternut squash; caramelize a couple of onions. Put all those in a pot with chicken stock, sage, and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and once it's boiled a little bit, puree the soup. Then add a little bit of cream and salt and pepper to taste.
  • JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks for sharing.
    I also use butternut squash in place of pumpkin for pie baking. Of course, this was before MFP, so this year I will have to be very mindful on my calories when making this pie.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you that peel and dice the squash: do you cook it a little bit beforehand, or are all of you Hulks that just smash through it?
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you that peel and dice the squash: do you cook it a little bit beforehand, or are all of you Hulks that just smash through it?

I've Hulked through many squash (butternut squash isn't too bad - not as bad as spaghetti squash), but if I can, I buy it already cleaned and cut into cubes. A little bit more money but it saves a lot of prep time and hassle.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Cut hash marks into it and fill with pancake syrup!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later reference...Have a butternut squash on my kitchen counter that needs to be cooked and enjoyed.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I had it a couple of nights ago in a risotto, pretty easy (except cutting the squash, that takes some time, but you can buy it cubed in a lot of places)