Really worried about thanksgiving

Options
I've been paleo for about 5 months. It's working well for me, and I don't want to stop, even for one meal. I'm not crazy about turkey, and certainly not without gravy.

I'm going to a big in-law family dinner, and I don't want to make a big deal about what I don't eat, but I'm really worried about it (and I have anxiety disorder so I can't stop). I'm going to try to bring a paleo friendly side and dessert. Any other suggestions? My mother will be beside herself if I don't eat, so that isn't an option.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My suggestion is to eat a couple bites of turkey (that is, if you really don't like it) and smile.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I have severe food allergies so I can't eat what other people bring to thanksgiving. What I do is I make my own prepackaged meal and just tell people no thanks, I brought my own when asked if I'd like something.
  • arditarose
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I have severe food allergies so I can't eat what other people bring to thanksgiving. What I do is I make my own prepackaged meal and just tell people no thanks, I brought my own when asked if I'd like something.

Oh, if it's allergies then, do it. Just tell them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just hit up some turkey, some sweet taters, and them salads. Go for it.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well I think it is the anxiety speaking... you've been at paleo a long time and one day off will not get in the way of your overall progress. I think you have a couple good routes - one would be to problem-solve how to eat paleo that day and talk with your mom ahead of time to let her know your plan (and be assertive if needed), the other would be to use it as a chance to practice being more flexible with your eating on special occasions and getting right back to paleo the next day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Oh and if turkey really isn't your thing.

Bring a steak and make it up in time for dinner?
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid also, the dinner I'm going to goes BIG. I will probably have some salmon and skip all unnecessary fat, all high carbs (bread), all the chocolates (save them for later date), put more salad with no dressing on plate, and watch the sodium/ then secretly go to the restroom just to track myfitnesspal. I want to not eat until the dinner to eat in nice portions. ( I'll plan to serve everything size less than my fist)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I get the anxiety, but really... it's one day. My brother eats Paleo, too, but he joins in at family meals and just picks and chooses the things he wants to eat. No one makes a big deal about it. If you don't really like turkey, take a small piece, no gravy. Then eat plenty of the side you're bringing and anything else on the table that fits your normal diet. If you aren't comfortable explaining your diet to your family, if anyone asks, just tell them jokingly that "you're watching your girlish figure". Really, if your plate looks full of food I can't imagine that anyone is going to be watching exactly what's on there.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Even with a typically restrictive paleo diet, I don't see the issue with the majority of foods there?

And remember, that it isn't the type of food which makes you gain or lose weight but the quantity so even if you do eat something not "paleo" then as long as your don't over consume by a lot then it doesn't matter.

And remember that it is only one meal. Unless you can eat A LOT, then there will be minimal change.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally do, as its Thanksgiving the selection should be large. It's going to be pretty obvious that you've lost 35 pounds, if anyone asks tell them its part of your diet.
  • Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm anxious about the holiday season as well. This time last year was the beginning of the end for me, I gained 20lbs.. But I'm determined to go into this season with a plan. I'm a vegetarian so I understand restrictions. I plan to practice portion control and allow myself to enjoy my family. Plus I think I'll go workout before dinner so I'm more prone to using self control for the remainder of the day.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It depends if you plan to eat paleo forever. If not, this might be an opportunity to practice restraint, or else as soon as you stop paleo you run the risk of eating too much of what you couldn't have before. It's one meal, I would take small portions and maybe exercise beforehand, you won't ruin your progress. If you really don't want to stop paleo then bringing some of your own stuff is a good idea :)
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've been paleo for about 5 months. It's working well for me, and I don't want to stop, even for one meal. I'm not crazy about turkey, and certainly not without gravy.

I'm going to a big in-law family dinner, and I don't want to make a big deal about what I don't eat, but I'm really worried about it (and I have anxiety disorder so I can't stop). I'm going to try to bring a paleo friendly side and dessert. Any other suggestions? My mother will be beside herself if I don't eat, so that isn't an option.
    OUCH!
    This is a tough one!
    Thanksgiving is one of those few times where I allow myself to wallow in an orgy of food like a rooting hog in slop. I am going to eat everything and anything until I just hurt.
    And after a short nap, I'll do it again...and again...and finally one final time before bed. And the following day this cycle repeats all over with leftovers.
    It will take 2 weeks to recover, and just when I am feeling right, it's x-mas...
    It's on again!
    48vbf0dfua7n.jpg

• markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    Why don't you just make a steak or fish dish as well? If you make a side, a dessert, and a main course, you'll have enough of your food to eat. It will be expensive to basically cook enough of multiple things you'll eat for everyone, but if you really want to, you'll be able to make a Thanksgiving meal out of just the items you brought. Plus, it'll make you look good for being so helpful with the cooking. Take little portion of others' foods to be polite and only eat a little or mash them around so it looks like you've eaten them.

One day in your diet isn't worth making a whole side of your family resent you, so do your best to be polite about it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    And this is why I'm personally against restrictive diets.

Just eat what you can eat, don't eat what you can't, or yeah, bring a couple paleo dishes with you. Or just have some food before going, so you're not hungry anyway.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's one meal and no one probably pays much attention to what you eat, unless you yourself make a big deal of it.

You can't have any gravy while eating paleo because... the little bit of flour in it? That seems unnecessarily restrictive.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Lie and say you're getting over a stomach bug.
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 mile run scheduled for Thanksgiving and the day after because I want turkey and dressing and gravy over everything LOL
  • arditarose
    Options
    BaltarVK wrote: »
    I have a 5 mile run scheduled for Thanksgiving and the day after because I want turkey and dressing and gravy over everything LOL

Right? I'm so excited for something meat, something bready, something mashed, something green, and something pecan and pumpkin. I will work that goodness off...or not :)