Best lifting program for women?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I see folks saying start with 5x5. But as someone who's lifted for 20ish years, I wouldn't start there. If you haven't lifted before, find something else. New Rules of weight lifting for women, starting strength, something.

Why, out of curiosity?
    I've seen a number of people (not working with a trainer, or someone seasoned) hurt their backs on the deads. I like 5x5, just not sure it's the best "first timer" program.
    If she works with someone a few times on form for all the moves, sure.
    ermagerds, da deads are breakin' ever'body
    I didn't say that, now did I?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    JTick wrote: »
    I see folks saying start with 5x5. But as someone who's lifted for 20ish years, I wouldn't start there. If you haven't lifted before, find something else. New Rules of weight lifting for women, starting strength, something.

Why, out of curiosity?
    I've seen a number of people (not working with a trainer, or someone seasoned) hurt their backs on the deads. I like 5x5, just not sure it's the best "first timer" program.

The program doesn't call for 5x5 on the deads though. Someone who doesn't understand that and bangs them out as a beginner - yeah, that's gonna lead to injury.

I also think there is a tendency to go too heavy too soon rather than following the program as prescribed. People do the same thing with Starting Strength, which is basically the same program in a 3x5 format.

Regardless of the program, you're going to want someone to check your form, particularly on deads and squats.
    And if you use the 5x5 app, as a woman, it's easy to go too heavy too soon. I've seen it. The OP says she's pretty much a noob at lifting. I'm gonna go with: get with someone good the first few times.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda stuck on the "as a woman". Please explain.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

The program doesn't call for 5x5 on the deads though. Someone who doesn't understand that and bangs them out as a beginner - yeah, that's gonna lead to injury.

I also think there is a tendency to go too heavy too soon rather than following the program as prescribed. People do the same thing with Starting Strength, which is basically the same program in a 3x5 format.

Regardless of the program, you're going to want someone to check your form, particularly on deads and squats.
    And if you use the 5x5 app, as a woman, it's easy to go too heavy too soon. I've seen it. The OP says she's pretty much a noob at lifting. I'm gonna go with: get with someone good the first few times.

Ya know... nothing heavier than pink dumbbells.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

Well, when *I* used the app there was a disclaimer saying the increases were based on men and that women should adjust, but that the app didn't have an adjustment. Have they changed that? I dunno. That was, what 3 years ago maybe.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

Well, when *I* used the app there was a disclaimer saying the increases were based on men and that women should adjust, but that the app didn't have an adjustment. Have they changed that? I dunno. That was, what 3 years ago maybe.

You're making 5 lb jumps in between sessions
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

You're making 5 lb jumps in between sessions

I am? Or it is?
    I'm just telling you what the app said. It had a disclaimer.
  • JTick
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

That just means that a man's lifting weight will probably increase faster than a woman. That has nothing to do with going too heavy too soon. If I pull a bodyweight deadlift at 175 lbs, and the guy next to me pulls a bodyweight deadlift at 225, theoretically we're both applying the same effort to that life. He just weighs more than me, therefore has to move more weight. He'll be able to add 10 lbs to that lift, whereas I might only be able to add 5 lbs at a time. It's proportionate.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol.

but it says for women.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

That just means that a man's lifting weight will probably increase faster than a woman. That has nothing to do with going too heavy too soon. If I pull a bodyweight deadlift at 175 lbs, and the guy next to me pulls a bodyweight deadlift at 225, theoretically we're both applying the same effort to that life. He just weighs more than me, therefore has to move more weight. He'll be able to add 10 lbs to that lift, whereas I might only be able to add 5 lbs at a time. It's proportionate.
    And when I used the app there was no ability to do that adjustment. *IT* decided the increases. Is it better now? great.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Why, out of curiosity?

Ya know... nothing heavier than pink dumbbells.

ok, I'm out. It's getting silly now.
    OP: Please get some assistance on proper form as you begin your weight training. Best of luck. You'll like the changes you see in your body. Cheers.
  • dbmata
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

And when I used the app there was no ability to do that adjustment. *IT* decided the increases. Is it better now? great.

You're just making things up as you go. You've always been able to adjust weight for the day, both in app, and out of app.
  • JTick
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

Um, so use pen and paper? Just because you can't follow the program correctly doesn't mean you should prevent someone else from using a good program.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    OP, read this, might be interesting to you.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/women-shouldnt-train-like-men

I generally train 'like a man' hitting major muscle groups hard once a week, have been for years now. I did not develop the body the author is describing, in fact, I won overall in figure. My body responded well and I developed a feminine 'V' shape. I think this article makes a generalization that all women are built the same and our muscles all react the same. Based on the variety of body types and categories at body building shows, specifically women, I would have to disagree with this article.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

Um, so use pen and paper? Just because you can't follow the program correctly doesn't mean you should prevent someone else from using a good program.

This.
  • rebeckylynn54
    rebeckylynn54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing a weight lifting program by Chalene Johnson called Chalean Extreme, You can get it through Beachbody. I love it, I has help me a lot and I am 60 years old. You should go on tp Beachbody websight and check her out. I am also doing her Piyo which I also love
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    dlvuyovich wrote: »
    OP, read this, might be interesting to you.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/women-shouldnt-train-like-men

I generally train 'like a man' hitting major muscle groups hard once a week, have been for years now. I did not develop the body the author is describing, in fact, I won overall in figure. My body responded well and I developed a feminine 'V' shape. I think this article makes a generalization that all women are built the same and our muscles all react the same. Based on the variety of body types and categories at body building shows, specifically women, I would have to disagree with this article.

I read the article yesterday and with the majority of the articles on Tnation, thought it was pretty poorly written with a bunch of sweeping generalizations as well..
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hah, I'll give you that, but the CF + PEDs one was good.

I was just throwing gas on the fire. ;) Women fought for, and won the right to train like a man back when they got the vote.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Men and women can and should train the same way.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    I started with 5x5 with great results. Never lifted before.
    Same here. Download the application and It would tell you that the program starts with the bar only (45 pounds). also it tells you how much you have to add each time. I love it because it takes only 45 minutes, I feel stronger and look tone.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

Yes it has an adjustment, just have to press where the weight is and just decrease. Also if you missed workouts, you have to decrease the weight too.