I'm obese, where do I start?

Options
2»

Replies

• justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Wii? You might try Walk It Out. Basically, you earn points by walking to the beat of the music. You use the points to build the town/countryside/city, make rainbows, get more songs, etc. If you are of a competitive nature (even against yourself) it might be a great start for you.
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As everyone mentioned, the calorie deficit is the first thing to work on. As someone who also has anxiety (and depression) working out does help. I bought a Weight Watcher walk at home DVD and love it !
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just started 2 months ago, but down 28lbs. There are several obstacles I had to overcome. First wanting to change. Now this doesn't mean "oh I want to be a normal weight" because obviously I always wanted that, but I didn't want to make the sacrifices.
    Going to have to put mind over matter and just eat less.
    I also think it is important to not change too much at once. For the first 2-3 weeks I didn't do any exercise as I wanted to 100% focus on diet and making sure I am eating right (believe me it takes a while to figure this out. I made a lot of mistakes my first couple weeks)
    Once I got that sorted out, I started adding in light exercise... Just 25 minutes of walking 2-3 times a week. This was more to get used to setting aside some time of the week for exercising more than the actual exercising. I quickly increased the frequency and time over the course of the next month. I am now doing 50-70 minutes 4-5 times per week. Again this goal isn't so much for the actual exercise as it is for setting aside time out of my day for actual exercise as the eventual goal in the near future (probably once snow and ice start making it hard to walk outside) is to join the gym.

Also try various things if what you start out with doesn't work for you. I tried pure calorie counting in the past, and while it works for many people it didn't work for me since I was always starving. Did I lose weight? Sure.. but hated every second of it due to my hunger. So I researched different things and went with low carb which works for me. Anyways this isn't to say you should try low carb, this is just to say if you find what you are doing isn't working for you (and put in an honest effort of 2 weeks) try something else. I went through 2-3 different things before settling on keto which I have stuck with.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Get some therapy and try to remember that most people are too wrapped up in themselves to care about you and your fat. You're blowing that way out of proportion.

Also, remember that the very few people who might think or say something mean are doing that because they have their own mental problems. They're struggling and miserable and the nastiness is way more about them than you. So, go outside and enjoy. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Get some therapy and try to remember that most people are too wrapped up in themselves to care about you and your fat. You're blowing that way out of proportion.

Also, remember that the very few people who might think or say something mean are doing that because they have their own mental problems. They're struggling and miserable and the nastiness is way more about them than you. So, go outside and enjoy. :)

When anxiety is a problem, just going out and "enjoying", is not always that easy.

OP- I don't have anxiety (thankfully because I see how hard it is on people who do) but I also struggle with being self conscious if I'm exercising in public. I am also bipolar which plays into that a bit.I always thought that people would think "oh, she's fat what good is the exercise going to do?" Or that they would make fun of how out of shape I am. What helped me, and might be somewhat helpful to you, is before I went out side I kept telling myself "everyone starts somewhere" and that down the road I will be glad I started when I did.

I also am taking things in baby steps. I started out only being able to walk 8 minutes before my back and ankles killed. So I stayed with the 7 minutes until I could do it with no pain. I then went to 10 and did that until no pain/shortness of breath. Everytime I felt comfortable I added a few minutes. It didnt seem like much at first but it has certainly made progress. Went I started my new job 2 months ago, I was ready to collapse if I had to climb 4 floors (I work in ems and not all buildings have elevators). Today I was able to go up 5 flights with no pain. I was slightly short of breath but it is a marked improvement. I take each day as it comes and not punish myself for slip ups.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I love sharing tips Ive found helpful as well as learn what other people find helpful.

You can do this!
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would suggest beach body workouts from home. I have done them and lI've them. If you like a lot of music and something to get you pumped up try Turbo Fire. They have doffered people doing different moves during the workout for beginners and people that don't need the modifications.
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    *different
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When anxiety is a problem, just going out and "enjoying", is not always that easy.

Agreed. When I started out, I was so scared to try that I just "knew" everyone was going to laugh at me, because, well... hey, everyone already was, right?

I was diagnosed with general anxiety PLUS social anxiety (I still have a touch of the latter, but I deal with it), so I know what that's like!

One thing that might help is to lose yourself in music. I put on the headphones (and I make sure they're GOOD ones so I can't hear a damned thing), a pair of sunglasses, and I'm ready. You can't see how scared I am and I can't hear you complain - win-win! :smiley:

Anyway, you don't have to start out with exercise, but walking is good if you're just beginning. I started out at 343 pounds - now down to 233 (struggling a bit, but hey, it's not an overnight process) and I've elevated from puffing my way up a hill (and feeling like I'm dying) to 60 minutes of hard exercise, 3 times a week. It takes time, but it's completely doable.

Baby steps. :smile:

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    There are so many workouts on DVD, youtube, gaming consoles that you can do at home...whatever you think you'd enjoy, you'll be able to find it out there :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    +1 for exercise and weight loss helping with the anxiety. It's been very effective for me. I haven't taken an Ativan in months.

Walking is great. If you get a couple of blocks and have to turn around and go home because you're freaking out and about to have an attack, that's okay. Try to make it further the next day. Set small goals such as making it to the end of the block, then another block the next day, etc. You'll feel great when you reach those mini-goals. At some point you will go for days without even thinking about your anxiety. It's unbelievably freeing.

There are a ton of at-home workout DVDs. Your local library should have some for you to try if you're not yet sure what you would like.

Good luck!
  • kimd2090
    kimd2090 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I struggled with anxiety as well (socially). This may sound a bit weird but I actually got a lot of relief from volunteering at an animal shelter to help play and walk the dogs. I got a little exercise and felt that no one judged me since I was there to help them! In the end I have now rescued 2 dogs and they have to be walked daily so it I was able to gain confidence in that it wasn't for me, but them! The volunteer work was great though since it was a double boost of confidence since i got some exercise in and got gushed over for helping (by the dogs and the staff!!). There has been a lot of great advice given, but I thought I'd share what initally helped me, even if it is a bit different! Good Luck to you - you can ROCK this! As Les Brown says - "You Have GREATNESS in You"!