5:2 fasting

Options
allisonjohnson112
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there, I need some advice about the 5:2 diet.

I am relatively new to intermittent fasting. I started back in August on the 16:8 window diet and found it worked great, but that was before I started collage in September. Since I became a student money has been tight and because of that, I have only been able to eat what I can and when I can. Since September I have tried sticking to the 16:8 window but when you can't afford food all day until you get home at 10, then it's better to eat than not eat at all (right?). This also means at times I haven't been able to eat 100% healthy. I am trying my best to eat healthy but at times there are no resources in my house so I end up eating 2 tortilla wraps with a bit of dipping sauce at 10 Pm (past the eating window) and feeling dreadfully guilty the next day because compared to how I normally eat when I do have groceries (LOTS of fruits and veggies with lean fish and little grains) it feels like i'm going way off to the deep end. I also find myself eating around 330 calories a day because I'm trying my best to eat only what is remotely healthy in my house but again that ends up being steamed cauliflower, 2 eggs, and some toast.

Because of all of this, my hormones have gone all out of whack. My period was late in September by 10 days and then in October, my period was late by another 10 days, I'm scared if I keep this up I won't get it at all in November and on top of that, my digestion has been completely haywire. I still want to continue to loose weight, I have about 10-15 more pounds to loose before I reach my goal weight and my boyfriend is a PFT so I start my weight training program today and I want to be able to be fully fueled for our sessions. I was doing some research and it was mentioned that the 5:2 intermittent diet works best for people who have my type of situation but still want to loose weight, that way they get the calorie deflect but don't have to worry about it each day. I am trying to eat 1500-2000 calories on my normal days and then stick to 500 calories on my fasting day. Does anyone have any great results from the 5:2 diet and if so, any tips on how I should go about this?

I would really appreciate any advice given, I find myself feeling a lot more guilty than I should on most days because I don't have the opportunity to eat 100% clean and I'd like to get over that feeling.

Thank you all in advance :)

Edit: I accidentally stated 1200 calories on the normal days but that was a mistake. I meant to say 1500-2000 a day.

Replies

• z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That isn't enough calories for you.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Umm, no that is not how it works. On your normal intake days you are supposed to be eating at or near maintenance. the idea for weight loss with the 5:2 IF is that you are at a deficit over 7 days.

That is way to few calories for anyone.
  • allisonjohnson112
    Options
    Sorry I meant to put 1500 calories, not 1200 :)
  • mrsdenno82
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    Umm, no that is not how it works. On your normal intake days you are supposed to be eating at or near maintenance. the idea for weight loss with the 5:2 IF is that you are at a deficit over 7 days.

That is way to few calories for anyone.

• allisonjohnson112
    Options
    Can anyone help me with this? Again, i'm brand new to any of this. Usually I don't even count calories but I'm at that "last 10 pounds" plateau. I would really like some advice on how much calories is recommended for me, because the 1500 is what the MFP app is telling me to eat because like I stated before, I am well aware I am under my calorie intake, that is why i'm posting here. I am not looking for people just telling me something I already know.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    From what I understand of 5:2 diet you should not be eating 1200 calories on your "normal days" you should be eating closer to maintenance. The deficit is created with your "fasting days" by eating 500-600 cals on those days. I would imagine a small deficit is ok on the normal days but 1200 would likely be too drastic. You can join the Intermittent Fasting board or google 5:2 diet if you need more clarification. I haven't tried it myself but there is no reason for you to feel "dreadful guilt" with whatever eating plan you choose. You need to pick something that works for you and that you can maintain as a lifestyle change if you want to lose the weight and keep it off.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

At 22 years old, there is no way your maintenance is 1,500. 5:2 is 5 days at maintenance and 2 days at 500. You seem to be on a diet plus a fast.

To find your maintenance .....look your stats up here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Here's a link to the group....http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

You'll find lots of information there. It's not about eating clean. It's about getting enough nutrition. Work on getting protein & fats in your diet. These are filling.
  • allisonjohnson112
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

At 22 years old, there is no way your maintenance is 1,500. 5:2 is 5 days at maintenance and 2 days at 500. You seem to be on a diet plus a fast.

To find your maintenance .....look your stats up here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Here's a link to the group....http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

You'll find lots of information there. It's not about eating clean. It's about getting enough nutrition. Work on getting protein & fats in your diet. These are filling.

Thank you very much, I'll ask for advice in those forums :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any great results from the 5:2 diet and if so, any tips on how I should go about this?
    I do the predecessor to 5:2, alternate day modified fasting. I'm on my last 10 lbs. It's working ok for me.

My tip would be to read one of the books on it. The 5:2 one is called The Fast Diet by Michael Mosley, or google up the documentary show about it. Your college library might have the book. Eat to satisfaction 5 days and to 500 calories two days is the gist of it.

Good luck!

• Hbhappygirl
    Hbhappygirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think your plan is a good one in general; I have been able to stay on 5:2 for over a year, and there are times when I can be super healthy and times when I'm on the go and just need to do what I can to stick to 500 (even if it's an El Pollo Loco 500 calorie salad!). The important thing is that you are being very conscious about sticking to the plan and eating the healthy stuff whenever possible. You don't need to be perfect, just being conscious and day by day sticking with it, you will do great! BTW I stick to about 1700 calories a day on my non fast days, and this keeps me right on track. Right now I am at my ideal weight (I lost over 40 pounds), I am 5'8" and 132 pounds, and 43 years old. I am switching to 6:1 now that I am right where I want to be (my athletic "high school weight"). The 5:2 will work, as long as you don't over indulge in the non fast days - but if you DO happen to over indulge, don't worry too much because at least with the 5:2 you will be able to maintain your weight and not gain. Bottom line: you're doing GREAT and keep up the good work!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon is a good book on IF, too.