How to get a flat stomach?

Options
I didn't know where this discussion would belong, so I just chose exercise.
My stomach, even after being below my goal weight, is still rather 'bloated' and a bit podgy. I don't know whether its because I'm eating fruit too late in the day (I just had 20 grapes haha). Right now I feel uncomfortably bloated and I don't know why! I haven't even reached my 1270 calorie goal yet :/

Anyway I was wondering whether anyone knows how to get a flat stomach? Do I need to cut down on anything? I've noticed I'm frequently over my sugar goal. And also I'm on my 3rd day of the Blogilates beginners calendar so maybe that will help me?

Hope you can help! :)

Replies

• jorbjorb
    Options
    you could try limiting the carbs (fruit)
    carbs are great though and fruit is good for you

i do look leaner being dehydrated and hungry though...that's not really a great thing lol
  • guitarhero23
    guitarhero23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Height/weight? Lower body fat % helps greatly. Do you work out?
  • sarahrachel90
    sarahrachel90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    my height is 5'4 and weight is 108 pounds. Yes I've only just started pilates. Am thinking of adding an hour of cardio in the week though
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What is your bodyfat %?

That's the only thing that really matters right here. Lose bodyfat, and expose abs. There is also the fact that your body may not be one that ever has a flat stomach.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What is your bodyfat %?

That's the only thing that really matters right here. Lose bodyfat, and expose abs. There is also the fact that your body may not be one that ever has a flat stomach.

^^Yep

and

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    my height is 5'4 and weight is 108 pounds. Yes I've only just started pilates. Am thinking of adding an hour of cardio in the week though

At these stats, I'm going to suggest a bulk and cut cycle. If you cut anymore bodyfat, you'd be in dangerous territory.
  • dbmata
    Options

At these stats, I'm going to suggest a bulk and cut cycle. If you cut anymore bodyfat, you'd be in dangerous territory.

Hard to tell, she doesn't know her bodyfat%.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It isn't actually possible for all people, even with low body fat and good fitness. Give it a try, but don't assume there's something wrong with you if it doesn't happen. Long as you don't have actual rolls or a pot belly, a little roundness in the area is pretty normal.
  • dbmata
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It isn't actually possible for all people, even with low body fat and good fitness. Give it a try, but don't assume there's something wrong with you if it doesn't happen. Long as you don't have actual rolls or a pot belly, a little roundness in the area is pretty normal.

and awesome.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My only comment is about the bloating, maybe you have an allergy or intolerance to certain foods?
  • dbmata
    Options
    That's distinctly possible.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    You stated that you feel bloated. Where are you in your cycle. Also, I had this problem and when I realized it was all the time and not just at that time of my monthly cycle I started keeping a journal of everything (and by everything I mean you need to figure out how often you are pooping). I was NOT regular, added a daily probiotic, started getting regular and now pooch is gone, bloated feeling is also gone! BAM! Yay for pooping :wink:
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm commenting specifically because of the bloating issue you describe. I have gastritis and lack a gallbladder. Both of those things cause me to bloat progressively during the day. In the morning, I wake up with a flat tummy and by late afternoon, I can look 6 months pregnant.

Food choices are number 1. That time of the month will cause some mild bloating but in general, if I have my morning smoothie with yogurt and fiber rich fruits, have a healthy digestive tract and stay away from fried, fatty and greasy foods - my bloating is under control.

It literally takes one wrong thing (fries, a burger, too much broccoli, pop, etc) to wreck my tummy for the whole day. I would recommend cutting out some of the foods I mentioned above to learn if they are triggering your bloating.
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailyhiit.com/…/ab-wor…/best-exercise-tummy-type