New to this

Options
I am Marlene and I am needing help in weight loss. I am obese and can't seem to shed the pounds by myself. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Replies

• cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Read and reread the announcements at the top of the Getting Started and Diet and Weight Loss Help forums. Make changes slowly and remember it takes time to form new habits. Good Luck!
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to add me. ankdworak
  • dsgamboa
    Options
    Need some motivation please!! Anyone else that's in her mid 40's and trying to lose about 30? Or have already done it and have some suggestions?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Start simple. I'd suggest the following:

1. If you're not already, start drinking more water.
    2. Start tracking/logging what you eat. This will get you in the habit of thinking about what you eat. (This was big for me.)
    3. Make an effort to move more. More than you do now, that is. Which means this goal is customizable to you & your life. If you're normally sitting for something, see if you can be up for it. Watch tv? Walk in place while watching. Park at the back of the lot (when you safely can) and walk further to run errands. If you have a desk job, make a point to get up stretch and walk around occasionally.

Once you have those things going well, you can adjust and fine tune for other goals. Such as increasing your fruits, veggies. Walking more. Doing strength exercises. etc.

For food, to cut calories the simple ways are 1) portion control and 2) simple subsitutions. For portion control, eat less per meal. Same foods but not as much of them. Take your time, enjoy your meal. If still hungry use low cal fillers like salad greens & light dressing. For simple subs, swap things out. If you use mayo on sandwiches, use light mayo or mustard instead. Have a lot of fried meat? Replace some with grilled, baked meat. Have a smaller starchy side, and larger side of lower cal veggies.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me a lot is that I tend to be an emotional eater. So I started by writing down what I was feeling before I ate anything. Was I sad? Upset? Hurt? Bored? Or was I actually hungry? It was very revealing and helped me to do a lot less, "mindless" eating. I did that way before I found MFP and I honestly think it gave me the push I needed to get me going. Maybe it will work for you too. Lots of great suggestions in this thread. Good luck! Feel free to add me if you like.