Is clean eating or restrictive dieting worth it?

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    This is why I eat ice cream frequently. And it's not always Breyers, with their three ingredient vanilla.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Of course some people run the risk of taking anything too far, but one can't take an extreme, obsessive case and use it to label everyone who eats clean or paleo or vegan or however they feel best or imply that these diets are a gateway to an eating disorder.

Eating well (whatever your definition of well is) is definitely 'worth it'. There's no need to judge what other people put into their bodies, whether that's free-range organic everything or cupcakes and donuts. You do you, they'll do them, and if anybody needs help with anything, that's between the individual and their healthcare professionals.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Clean eating isn't the problem. Eating too few calories is the problem. She could have the same problem eating Doritos.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Clean eating isn't the problem. Eating too few calories is the problem. She could have the same problem eating Doritos.

^This. Orthorexia nervosa is a mental disorder. The weight loss this woman experienced is due to extremely dangerous restricitive dieting, not just eating clean.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "Clean" is a subjective thing.

Eating healthy is good for you. Not everyone who adopts a healthy lifestyle has an eating disorder, lol.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    You know what something about the word clean eating and restrictive diet just screams BORING to me. I hate being bored with food. That's why I always failed with diets in the past. They usually make you eat the same stuff over and over.

I mean, I know there's good variation to a "clean" diet, but I don't know. My mind still perceives it as boring. :smile:
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Eating healthy is good for you. Not everyone who adopts a healthy lifestyle has an eating disorder, lol.

I agree. Cleaning eating/healthy eating does not equal eating disorder so I'm not sure what the OP is trying to state.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    You know what something about the word clean eating and restrictive diet just screams BORING to me. I hate being bored with food. That's why I always failed with diets in the past. They usually make you eat the same stuff over and over.

I mean, I know there's good variation to a "clean" diet, but I don't know. My mind still perceives it as boring. :smile:

To me, clean(er) eating 90% of the time, allows me to enjoy the things I enjoy more 10% of the time. While still meeting my macros. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I agree. Cleaning eating/healthy eating does not equal eating disorder so I'm not sure what the OP is trying to state.

As Kalikel noted, "clean" doesn't really mean anything. The use of that term always does suggest to me a confusion between nutrition and religious-like purity laws--the idea of unclean food is silly and there's obviously no agreement on what it means. If I didn't know that many people use the term without even thinking about it I'd be more inclined to think it indicates an, uh, orthorexic kind of approach. Instead, I just find it kind of silly.

I'm all for eating healthy and don't think concern with health is inherently problematic at all, although like everything else people can become compulsive about it if they are inclined to that. I just object to the notion that "eating clean" as usually used is a synonym for eating healthy, because it is not.

• dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah there has to be reasonable limits but eating food that is not covered in pesticides and that has nutritional value is my goal for 80% my meals. Like my mom always says, you can spend it at the grocery store or at the doctor... It's up to you!
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options

To me, clean(er) eating 90% of the time, allows me to enjoy the things I enjoy more 10% of the time. While still meeting my macros. :)

Whatever works for you. :) like I said I know there is good variety to a clean diet, but for some reason that "boring" just always pops up in my mind when I hear it Lol. I don't eat clean really, I'm just more aware of my macros. I still eat processed food once or twice a week. Because I need their sodium and fat. (It tastes better in them than in my own food I cook)

• JeffseekingV
    Options

Whatever works for you. :) like I said I know there is good variety to a clean diet, but for some reason that "boring" just always pops up in my mind when I hear it Lol. I don't eat clean really, I'm just more aware of my macros. I still eat processed food once or twice a week. Because I need their sodium and fat. (It tastes better in them than in my own food I cook)

Sure I'm exactly the same way. I probably eat worse than you right now. But I think I need to clean up my diet a bit to lose a bit more. Then find a way to balance this all out to something reasonable.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Yeah there has to be reasonable limits but eating food that is not covered in pesticides and that has nutritional value is my goal for 80% my meals. Like my mom always says, you can spend it at the grocery store or at the doctor... It's up to you!

...alrighty then....
  • Sarah_HA81
    Options
    I'm a food addict. I have mental breakdowns over not getting certain food. I have tried the "everything in moderation" method but I can't do it. I have to eat "clean" 100% because a single cookie leads to a dozen cookies, a pint of ice cream, and whatever else I can find. For me, staying away from those foods is hard the first week, but then I don't crave it much, until I have a bite of something sugary or salty... So I'm an all or nothing person I guess.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    You do you, they'll do them.

No. My job is to judge others and mock their choices so I can maintain my internal feeling of superiority.

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    You do you, they'll do them.

No. My job is to judge others and mock their choices so I can maintain my internal feeling of superiority.

I already know I'm better than you :wink:

Jk jk.... I'll go back to my hole
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hell no.

All food is friend, when consumed in moderation.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options

The OP was trying to share an article that shows that SOME people can't handle it and become obsessive to the point of it becoming a disorder.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Happymelz wrote: »

The OP was trying to share an article that shows that SOME people can't handle it and become obsessive to the point of it becoming a disorder.

Then THOSE people shouldn't be doing it? For the rest of us, it's not a problem to try to eat cleaner