Daunting.

Options
13»

Replies

• Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You have started your journey and we wish you success. I always think of the following:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Like you, I will end up losing 50 to 60 pounds. At the six month mark, I'm down about 38 pounds. I knew when I started this move towards fitness that I would have a tough time since I'm a bit older (53). As you have no doubt found, fitness is a long-term goal at which you have to work every day.

"Even the longest and most difficult ventures have a starting point.

You have gotten past the most difficult part. You have started. Now that you have found the path, stay on the path. Log your food, work out, and over time you will feel better.

• jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake is to think that you will lose the weight and be done with "eating healthy" - this has to be something you'll do forever or you will lose and gain over and over. So if it takes two years for you to figure out how to change your eating habits but that lasts forever - it's a win and time well spent!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You know what everyone with huge success knows, but that everyone starting out doesnt listen to?

It isn't about motivation, it's about doing it even when you don't want to. It's about wanting it enough and being determined enough to make it happen for yourself - whether you have a rush of magic motivation.... or absolutely nothing in the tank.

Doing it when it isn't fun it what counts most. It's what changes you most.

It's what changes a before pic into a success story.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    also - dont aim for 75 pounds in 6 months. Aim for 30 pounds in 6 months and hope you surprise yourself by beating that goal by a bit more. But not 75, you want this to be sustainable or you will most likely either a) gain it all back and then some or 2) end up with crazy body/brain issues because you lost weight too fast and your brain panics and is uncomfortable and feels exposed and makes you put it all back on like a winter coat.
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I was told "read the success stories, it'll motivate you!", so I did. Now I only find this process even more daunting. For two reasons:

1. I'll admit it. I'm jealous. I'm jealous that all of these people have finished losing weight and look great. I'm jealous that I didn't start a long time ago and that I could be where they are now, but I'm not. I don't feel motivation, I feel jealousy. Wrong emotion, here.
    2. When I read a story and look at the pics and start to feel slightly motivated i.e "Oh, look! They lost 75, 100 lbs! I can too. I got this!", I then read the part where they say "When I started my journey TWO years ago"..... and find myself wanting to melt into a puddle and cry. A year, I think I can do, but I'm not even sure of that! After all, my son is almost a year old now and the time has flown by so fast, it's unbelievable, so maybe. Two years, I can't even comprehend and find quite daunting. If anything could make me run from this lifestyle change, it's probably the word "years".

I understand that two years of my life spent getting healthy is nothing compared to the increased quality of life and additional possible years added on to my life. I understand it took me a hell of a lot longer than a year or two to put on this weight. I also understand that this is a lifestyle change and, therefore, shouldn't be looked at as "Two years of eating healthy" and be quite so daunting. Yet, it is. I think I can handle this lifestyle long term. I am not starving, I eat plenty and whatnot, so that part is okay. But the feeling that I am going to have to function in this fat body, just waiting patiently for the pounds to shed and reveal my nicer body is just.......... ugh.

I want to say "Show me all of the success stories where you lost 75 pounds in six months so I feel better about the road ahead and can be super motivated", but instead I'm going to request some support from those of you who have made it that far. Did you ever feel this way? Did you ever find this process daunting? How in the world were you okay with your "body under construction" for the months, year, years it took to get there??

When I began about 105 days ago I had the same suggestion come to me as far as looking at others success stories. It was pretty daunting seeing others accomplishing great goals, but then seeing how long it takes made my heart sink at first. But what I've come to realize is, I didn't gain 100 pounds overnight, or even over the course of 2 years. It took me around 5 years of bad habits to gain the weight, so I knew it could take me equally as long to try to make it come off. Right now I'm quite happy at the rate I'm progressing, in 100 days time I was down 48 pounds. Half way to my goal weight. This past month I've not lost much but more so yoyoed between 5 pounds. But I'm hopeful to be down another 10 by Christmas. I think it took me to realize that this is not going to be a quick fix, this has to be a lifestyle change. Something sustainable. If it isn't something you can commit yourself to for the rest of your life then I believe I will gain everything back and then some. But also losing slowly is a great way to actually keep the weight off. I think at first everyone just wants to the scale to move, so they go through the "starvation" stage (2 pounds per week, low calorie intake) at first and learn that your body needs food to burn calories. So they slow it down and make it comfortable to them(1.5 per week, or even less). That's why a lot of the journeys here span for years, because slow and steady will always give you the best results in my opinion.

As far as the body under construction period, of course I would love to wake up tomorrow and have the flattest stomach with chiseled abs and biceps that everyone stares at... but that's never been me and probably won't ever be me. I'm just slowly enjoying watching my body change. Even if I don't reach those types of goals I'll at least know that I've tried my best to make myself a healthier and happier person. I'm taking it a day at a time, and I suggest you take progress photos during your journey just so you can see just how far you've come from day 1.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    So, these past 45 days, you could have been sitting around doing nothing, or you could have been putting on weight. Instead, what have you done? Gotten up and taken care of yourself to the tune of 20 pounds. Great job!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this forum and all of the support I am getting. I really have taken everything to heart and after a few more days and fitting into yet another pair of pre-pregnancy work pants (no elastic waist!), I am feeling great again. I am no longer looking at this as something with and end in sight, but going to view the weight loss as a very welcome side effect of the other lifestyle changes.
    When I started 46 days ago, I remember looking at others' tickers and seeing "10 pounds down" and thinking "Ugh, I wish I could just be 10 pounds down". And now I'm 25 pounds down and seeing others' tickers that say "50 pounds down". I realize that before I know it, I'll be looking at the "75 pounds down" and wishing to be there, because I already hit my 50 pound loss goal.
    Every time I start to feel down, which I am sure I will, I am heading straight back to these forums. You guys totally pulled my head out of my butt! :)
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. The long process was part of what made me fail so many times in the past. I just couldn't maintain a change. I like instant results and this is not an instant process. I would get frustrated when I saw other's losing so much and wish I was at that point. But then something snapped in me this summer and I decided I had to change. I started eating better, learning about food and what it does for me, going for walks, doing workouts, lifting.... all the things I need to do to get healthy. I've lost 58 lbs and am so close to getting below 200 I can feel it!

I look at things in 10 lb intervals. I celebrate the moment I go from the 280's to the 270's then the 260's and so on. I'm now in the 220's, and have had to buy all new clothes because nothing in my closet fit! There are upcoming milestones that I use as goals. I want to be below 200 by my Birthday, which is the end of January. I know I can do it and it'll be another celebration. Using the small goals makes it go by faster. Instead of it being 1 year for 100 lbs, it's 1 month for 10 or 15. Hang in there, it's totally worth it and you can do this!
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I think you're forgetting how happy you'll be as you lose weight along the way. Yes, two years is a long time, but as you get smaller and start looking and feeling better, you'll be more and more motivated to continue with your new way of eating and exercising. You might learn new recipes, take up an activity you had never tried (or never been able to), the possibilities are endless!

Start today! You'll wish you had. As someone else said, those two years are going to pass either way...

This is so true. I'm about 127 days in, lost about 25 lbs (maybe halfway there?) and even though it's only halfway...EVERYTHING is so much easier. Exercising...so much easier with 25 less lbs. And thinking about how it's just going to get easier and easier.

Like you said, the days pass by like they're nothing. And having a small deficit and taking it slowly makes it not that difficult. It just takes time.

And I certainly don't want to be looking back in a year and saying wow wish I'd started THEN.

• mawkishstoic
    mawkishstoic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's hard being fat and it's hard getting fit. Pick your hard.

My new mantra. Thank you.

• mlyn627
    mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    When I started 46 days ago, I remember looking at others' tickers and seeing "10 pounds down" and thinking "Ugh, I wish I could just be 10 pounds down". And now I'm 25 pounds down and seeing others' tickers that say "50 pounds down". I realize that before I know it, I'll be looking at the "75 pounds down" and wishing to be there, because I already hit my 50 pound loss goal.
    I couldn't agree more! I just thought that same thing yesterday! I remember 43 days ago I couldn't imagine a loss on my ticker now mine is down 10lbs and I couldn't be happier!

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    After two years of slow weight loss, you can look back and know it was the right thing and have your own success story. After two years of no weight loss, you would just regret not starting sooner and be right where you are today, minus two years.

Yes, it takes time. Yes it isn't always easy. But doing it the slow and steady way makes for a more sustainable lifestyle. In 7 months I've lost 50 pounds, I have well over 100 to go yet, and I'm okay with it. Each pound lost is a celebration and a step toward a better me.

Good luck!
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah it's daunting! It was daunting when I started, I've lost over 100 lbs. and it's daunting now that I have 95 left to lose! It's daunting, scary, and the best thing you will ever do for yourself and your loved ones. So be encouraged that we're all here with you, facing the same crap, making the same changes, and in the end, we'll all be better for it.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Success stories are motivating for me, but cautionary tales on obesity are a lot more motivating. You know how juvenile delinquents will be taken to visit hardcore criminals serving life sentences in a prison for a day to show them the path they are headed towards if they don't change their ways?
    Documentaries on Obesity, super obesity, etc, which feature very obese persons can be very motivating in a cautionary tale sort of way. Sometimes listening to destructive mentalities and seeing destructive behaviors and the culmination of both in a very obese person can be very motivating. Esp if you notice any similarities in their thinking and your own, and their behaviors and your own. Sometimes seeing a very bad situation from the outside can be helpful.

It took less than a year of working in hospice for me to figure out I was well on my way to an early death. That is what finally kicked my butt into gear, it might be a daunting task, but it will be worth it.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Your lifestyle change should last your whole lifetime. Two years, like you said, will be over before you know it. And you can look forward to, hopefully, many many years of healthy living to come.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!