Self Sabotage

Options
I know there are posts about self sabotage but I was curious what solutions people have found for this issue. My problem is I make notable progress and then I just get into a weird headspace, eat enough calories to end world hunger and end up feeling horrible. In most other ways, I consider myself to be a very logical person but I seem to keep screwing this up. I have treated different types of counseling (CBT, hypnosis, overeaters anonymous) but nothing seems to fit the bill. I do have low self-esteem but I do think it is reality based. I don't know. The more I type the crazier I am starting to think I am.

I know how to exercise, how to eat properly - the problem isn't knowing what to do but rather getting past this self sabotaging pattern. Meh.

Replies

• Ruedora
    Ruedora Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I found this article really helpful when I started asking myself some of the hard questions about self sabotage.
    I followed the advice of the article and have finally started to consistently lose weight again. For me, the biggest thing was admitting that I focus more on my failures than my successes. Since starting to change that, I feel better all around. When I do slip, I find it easier to move past it and am no longer beating myself up about it for days. It allows me to focus on moving forward.

Best of luck to you :)
    http://www.peertrainer.com/how_to_stop_self_sabotage.aspx?page=5
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ah! we are the same, Whenever I make a lot of progress (see that i've lost a few lbs) it makes me almost feel like I'm invincible to food sometimes and it can trigger a sort of binge mode which is crazy. Do you weigh yourself often? I know from experience that when I weigh every day, and one day I might have an unexpectedly large loss for a one day period, I'll think , hmm, maybe I'm losing too fast, a treat obviously won't hurt *eats all the food* *gains 2lbs* , so I've cut back to weighing myself once a week or every 2 weeks
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    What happens next? Do you keep logging through it? Or do you give up for a while?

There are a lot of mental tricks to losing weight. First is to realize that it's very mental but not very biological. Your body isn't on a diet -- your body doesn't know. It's your mind.

I've got two rather goof-proof rules:
    1) Log everything accurately always.
    2) Walk 3x a week for 30 minutes

That's it. It's really hard to screw that up or sabotage it. The logging gives me the better control -- before, during, and after the eating. But what it doesn't give me is any guilt, any sense of deprivation or prohibition. I am aware of the calorie goal, and I sometimes pass it but most of the time my control is good. I've never had a two week period where I failed to lose weight. (Day 115, lost 65 lbs. -- M 51 5'11" started at 298.)

My body has only known one diet and I've been on it since before birth. It's the brain that thinks in terms of diets -- starting and quitting. Helping separate brain tricks from nutrition helps me understand that whatever I do that successfully manages my earthly being, I'm planning on doing it for life. The accounting may change -- Am I at a deficit, or maintenance, or surplus (trying to gain)? -- but it's still something that I have to conscientiously track if I want to be in control.

Logging is the key to better control. This is my fourth major weight loss. The other three worked until they stopped working and I quit after they stopped working. As I started this effort, I realized that all four featured logging food and it was during that part that I always lost the best. Previously, I'd feel like I was getting the hang of the diet and quit logging. It wasn't soon after that where I'd quit the weight-loss effort altogether.

So logging is now the plan -- logging now during weight loss, and still logging into maintenance, and never entirely stopping. If I do ever cut back on logging, it'll be to do it for the first week of every month. But it's easy enough just to do it (take 5 minutes a day). If I can log it, I can eat it. If I have a disaster and keep logging, I haven't quit. I am back in control much more quickly than if I quit.

So logging is the plan. The rest of it are just minor details.

I'm glad to see you're a former OA'er. Keep going back if you liked it. If you're USA/Canada-based, there's also TOPS as a different option.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm what I like to call a "mini-sabotager" because I'll only have the occasional binge session or a few days of very limited calories. I'm in maintenance with my weight right now, but those are still struggles I deal with. When they were more frequent and much harder to handle, it really helped me to re-imagine what I was doing with my body. Like yes, I wanted to lose a certain amount of weight, but sometimes, losing 5lbs for example psyched me out, I guess I got overconfident and then would overeat. Thinking about weight and healthy choices as a life long process and a life long commitment really helped me put things into perspective. And just trying to keep reminding myself that every little bit I do to help myself today, will show in the future. It is really hard to overcome. Honestly, so much of it is mental. Learning to forgive myself for eating poorly, and to accept that its okay to eat cookie also helped me. When I first started, I was way to restrictive and i think that's why i often slipped up..
    I really hope you get through this and find a way to love and cherish yourself!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it is not entirely mental. Body chemistry plays a large role. Certain substances in food that don't affect most people could be causing this behavior. Take for example alcohol - an alcoholic does not usually start out suffering from low self esteem, moral turpitude, desires for self destruction, etc., but their body chemistry does not allow moderate use of alcohol like 'normal' people and many of those feelings follow.
    -
    Another example is depression. Medication works well in many cases because once again brain chemistry is causing certain kinds of depression, not actual life events.
    -
    With the advent of processed foods, there could be chemicals or substances that play a similar role in your body chemistry. Personally, I would read package labels closely and try reducing this or that and see if you notice any change for the better. I'm not saying you should eliminate food groups; just colorings, flavors, sugars, and additives of different sorts. Think of it as an allergy test.
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    I'm glad to see you're a former OA'er. Keep going back if you liked it. If you're USA/Canada-based, there's also TOPS as a different option.

I didn't find OA to be helpful at all and the religious aspects which are so inherently ingrained put me off even more. I did see there is a humanist alternative. Is that what TOPS is?

• redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    r5d5 wrote: »
    Learning to forgive myself for eating poorly, and to accept that its okay to eat cookie also helped me. When I first started, I was way to restrictive and i think that's why i often slipped up..
    I really hope you get through this and find a way to love and cherish yourself!

It seems I need to work on this. Thank you for responding so beautiful. Thanks to all the previous posters. I will check out the link Ruedora, thank you!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    redsk wrote: »
    I did see there is a humanist alternative. Is that what TOPS is?
    No religious component to TOPS at all. I wouldn't call it humanist -- I wouldn't label it at all, philosophically.