Should I count calories burned from my daily walking??

Options
my phone has a very accurate pedometer (new samsung s5) and using my age, weight and height, it tells me how many calories I burned daily from walking. Should I count this in to my calorie count??

Replies

• khakstol
    khakstol Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think thats a great idea especially if it motivates you and helps you reach your goal. Not sure how accurately the app translates the exercise into calories.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have an s5, they aren't that accurate.

I wouldn't suggest it, up to you though. That's what you consider daily activity. At worst, you do it, and it takes you further from your goal.
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I wouldn't. The calorie goal you are using probably already compensates for normal physical activity (i.e., walking around).
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    alecno wrote: »
    I wouldn't. The calorie goal you are using probably already compensates for normal physical activity (i.e., walking around).

you ADD the EXERCISE you do during the day.

He interpreted "daily walking" as the walking you do during your day-to-day tasks.

You interpreted "daily walking" as an exercise done outside of normal day-to-day tasks.

OP needs to clarify which one is meant.

If it's the first, it shouldn't be logged. If it's the second, it should.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It depends. Do you want to eat more or lose weight faster?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I have an S5 and I also use the pedoneter. I do not count ot as exercise. If you are taking more than 10,000 steps daily, then just change your activity level. If not then I wouldn't IMO.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It depends. I do, but my base calorie goal is low as I am set as sedentary with a goal of 2lbs a week.

If I were to use another method - TDE, then probably not.

I use it as incentive to walk/exercise more. If I do more I get to eat more. If I am feeling lazy, I don't get to eat as much.
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    btc1987 wrote: »

you ADD the EXERCISE you do during the day.

He interpreted "daily walking" as the walking you do during your day-to-day tasks.

You interpreted "daily walking" as an exercise done outside of normal day-to-day tasks.

OP needs to clarify which one is meant.

If it's the first, it shouldn't be logged. If it's the second, it should.

This is correct. OPs phrasing to me implies she now wants to add in the daily activity (i.e. walking around) she already did into MFP, which I would not do.

• LaurenJB2014
    LaurenJB2014 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    btc1987 wrote: »

This is correct. OPs phrasing to me implies she now wants to add in the daily activity (i.e. walking around) she already did into MFP, which I would not do.

I have the same question - am set as sedentary but i'm about to walk for 40 minutes which I wouldn't normally do (external meeting :) ). I'm thinking I should log it as exercise - I won't necessarily eat back the calories.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    depends.

if it doesnt challenge you, it won't change you.

going for a 45 minute walk twice a day? That's cool.

Doing it twice a day 5 times a week for a year - that's a challenge that will change you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you have your activity level set...it also depends on whether or not this is going on deliberate walks (as exercise) or you're just normal walking around during the day.

Even set to sedentary, your calorie goal is going to include some element of general, day to day moving around, to include some walking.

I personally wouldn't bother unless it was a deliberate 3-5 mile walk or something...
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I only count walking I do extra the other is averaged in to your status here on myfitnesspal. Good luck

29509743.png