Steps tracker question

Options
So I just started using the steps feature with my iPhone , we'll my phone recorded 5906 steps that burned 84 calories, question is when I went to the gym today I did 25 minutes on the treadmill, and 25 minutes on the stationary bike ---are those steps recorded part of what I did in the treadmill and should I subtract the 84 calories from what I burned on that machine?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well.....was the iPhone on your person while you were on the treadmill? Like, in your hand or pocket or was it in the cupholder?

Either way, it's 84 calories. I wouldn't log them anywhere.
  • hyoung38
    hyoung38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It was on me I took them off I just don't see how the phone calculates that if your technically walking/running in place
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's tracking movement that feels like human steps, not using gps to determine how far you've moved.
  • hyoung38
    hyoung38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gottcha
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It'll record the treadmill as long as it's somewhere on your person that can "feel" the movement. It more than likely won't count any movement on the stationary bike, or even a regular bike. You can just add those biking calories into MFP manually, if you like.
  • nicpic57
    nicpic57 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So if I add my run in it will double my activity, correct? How can I turn this on/off easily so I can log my run not part of my normal steps each day..
  • david112014
    Options
    nicpic57 wrote: »
    So if I add my run in it will double my activity, correct? How can I turn this on/off easily so I can log my run not part of my normal steps each day..

I believe it automatically adjusts itself whenever you add a run.

For example, I added a 40 minute run today w/ 515 calories burned.

And including that run, I walked a total of 11k steps but it's only giving me an additional 31 calories burned under "MFP iOS calorie adjustment".