Skipping Meals to Stay Within Calorie Goal

Options
What should you do if you've already reached your daily calorie intake by the afternoon? Is it advisable to go significantly over your goal or to skip eating dinner even if you are hungry? If I were already hungry by around 6pm, I would find it hard to go 16 or more hours without eating until breakfast the next day, but I suppose I could tough it out if I had to.

Replies

• nessab70
    nessab70 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would eat dinner tomorrow is a new day :)
  • wldrose75
    Options
    ^This. If I was hungry but didn't eat dinner, I'd be in the cabinets at midnight scrounging for anything I could lay hands on and end up doing way more damage than dinner would do.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'd eat dinner. I usually have a 750 calorie deficit. So if I were at my goal at dinner, as long as it wasn't over 750, I'd still be in a deficit, just a smaller one. YMMV
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I would eat dinner. But I would also then look at my log and see what I can do to do a better job tomorrow to better nourish my body on this journey.

Be sure you're eating ENOUGH. Be sure you're eating as many calories as MFP tells you if not MORE if you exercise strenuously.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'd eat at maintenance for the day and just get back to my deficit the next day. If it happens to often, then you might want to take a look at your log and see how you can improve the distrabution of your calories.

edit: I should add that this only applies if I was really hungry. There are times lunch is the last meal of my day and I'm good until breakfast the next day.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i would look at my diary and figure out why I went over my calories so early in the day and make adjustments so that doesn't happen again. Then I would eat dinner
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Well, looking at your food diary, you're under-eating by over 1000 calories every day, so I'd say you can afford to eat dinner. I'd also recommend you try to eat more protein - your intake is pretty low for a young man. Hit your macros if you can. Good luck!
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would skip dinner if I wasn't hungry but if I was, I'd eat something light. Also, if it is difficult for you to skip dinner then pre-plan your food so you don't end up eating all your calories early on during the day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get to dinner and have used all my calories, but if I did AND I was hungry, I'd have something low-cal.
  • ht1211
    ht1211 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eat a light dinner, and do a workout after so you don't feel too guilty. Unlike some people I actually like to work out in the evening. So I would put on a workout from fitness blender, or any 30 min cardio workout on youtube. If you're up for it, you could also hit the GYM. Many Gym open 24 hrs now.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner if you are hungry.
    If this happens often start logging your food for the whole day in advance so you know you have enough. It requires some planning but better than skipping meals or eating too much.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Skip dinner. What's the incentive for planning better tomorrow if you're going to give yourself a pass when you hit your TDEE min-afternoon? Unless you're skipping every meal skipping meals isn't going to kill you.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Skip dinner. What's the incentive for planning better tomorrow if you're going to give yourself a pass when you hit your TDEE min-afternoon? Unless you're skipping every meal skipping meals isn't going to kill you.

I think he is talking about his goal to lose weight, which would be less than his TDEE. For some people skipping dinner, just so they can stick to a calorie deficit, would cause them to binge later. A binge later vs a small dinner that may put you at maintenance, which do you think would be worse? Personally, I think the binge would.

For me, it's very easy to go over one day and get back on track the next. I'm currently roughly 2lbs away from 90lbs lost. I probably would have given up long ago, if I skipped meals due to poor planning/family event/holiday/ect. Not saying I don't skip meals from time to time, I do. If I'm really hungry however, I'm going to eat something (even if it puts me at maintenance or slightly over).

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'd eat something low calorie - like a spinach salad with cherry tomatoes tossed in lemon juice and 2 oz chicken for protein. Some low calorie fruit, such as watermelon, would be a good dessert and additional filler.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

This is just silly. We don't need to be punished for screwing up. And he didn't say he hit his TDEE, he said he hit his calorie goal.
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

This is just silly. We don't need to be punished for screwing up. And he didn't say he hit his TDEE, he said he hit his calorie goal.

Sorry, not TDEE then... calorie goal. You think skipping meals is punishment? How bout dieting in general? Is that punishment? You need to think about caloric restriction a little more objectively. No one is being punished - reducing caloric intake is a thing you do when you want to lose weight.
  • fluffyasacat
    Options

I think he is talking about his goal to lose weight, which would be less than his TDEE. For some people skipping dinner, just so they can stick to a calorie deficit, would cause them to binge later. A binge later vs a small dinner that may put you at maintenance, which do you think would be worse? Personally, I think the binge would.

For me, it's very easy to go over one day and get back on track the next. I'm currently roughly 2lbs away from 90lbs lost. I probably would have given up long ago, if I skipped meals due to poor planning/family event/holiday/ect. Not saying I don't skip meals from time to time, I do. If I'm really hungry however, I'm going to eat something (even if it puts me at maintenance or slightly over).

I think many could stand to reevaluate their definition of "really hungry".
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree that skipping meals outright is a good idea, but on the other hand, consistently eating above calorie goals is not either. More careful planning is probably the best solution for anyone. I also agree that some people's idea of hunger is different that others. There also seems to be an obsession on this site with never being in any, even momentary, discomfort.

Skipping meals, especially dinner or to a lesser extent, lunch, and not eating anything again for more than 12 hours probably results in real hunger--not merely a craving for some specific, but the physiological symptom of needing nourishment.

I generally do not have problems with binges, but I know many people do because after several hours, my hunger cues start to diminish.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    Yes, I agree that skipping meals outright is a good idea, but on the other hand, consistently eating above calorie goals is not either. More careful planning is probably the best solution for anyone. I also agree that some people's idea of hunger is different that others. There also seems to be an obsession on this site with never being in any, even momentary, discomfort.

Skipping meals, especially dinner or to a lesser extent, lunch, and not eating anything again for more than 12 hours probably results in real hunger--not merely a craving for some specific, but the physiological symptom of needing nourishment.

I generally do not have problems with binges, but I know many people do because after several hours, my hunger cues start to diminish.

You're constantly like 1000+ below calorie goal. For a male you are undereating by a butt-ton. In fact, I'm eating more than you most days, if not every day.

You're also still not weighing your food - you had posted about your plateau. Is this still a problem? Combo of being so inconsistent, regularly below goals, and not weighing, you might do well do re-evalulate your goals and recalculate your TDEE (or your net intake since you seem to be logging exercise... but not eating it back. So if you are NOT doing TDEE, then I suggest you either start doing TDEE or start eating back 50%+ of the exercise calories.), which will possibly help you figure out how to divvy up your daily calories.

• fluffyasacat
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »

I absolutely agree that people are scared of hunger. Hunger comes in waves, and it often goes away completely with a drink of water. I am absolutely not advocating habitual hunger-inducing periods of complete abstinence, but if you've hit your calorie goals before dinner then how hungry can you really be with 2000 or so calories in your system?