How much weight did you lose before...

Options
CJsf1t
CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
I am 15 pounds down from my highest weight 235 lbs. Not many people around me are noticing my loss. How much weight did you guys lose before other people (not family) started noticing your loss?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    15 lbs on someone larger would be less noticeable than on someone at a smaller starting weight. I'm down 12.5% (20 lbs) and a few people (but not most) have noticed on their own.
  • jennyhoon
    jennyhoon Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    From 242lbs to 189lbs. Thanks to this website
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 90lbs and no one outside of my family has said a thing. Hard to say when other people actually noticed.

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Most people have been trained not to comment on weight because it's perceived as rude. So, it might take a while... :\
  • jennyhoon
    jennyhoon Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 90lbs and no one outside of my family has said a thing. Hard to say when other people actually noticed.

They don't mention a single thing because they afraid you may stop your healthy eating habit. Behind your back, they are gladly to tell all their friends and acquaintances. My family did the same too as well as my ex-colleagues. U know how I feel when my clothes getting so loose that I have to change a whole wardrobe slowly with new,slimmer blouse,shirts..
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options

That's awful :(.

• Ginger046
    Ginger046 Posts: 204 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My mum and grandparents tell me I look great every time I see them.. but I dont count that as they know I'm trying. My boyfriends gran the other week said I looked like I've lost weight so she is now my new favourite person! I was 16-17lbs lighter than the last time I saw her and his family never knew I was trying to lose weight :)

My friends dont really say anything, but again they know I'm trying and I see them every day in lectures.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    49 pounds before someone outside the family said anything.
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    70 out of the 200 pounds I need to lose.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ajay355 wrote: »
    My mum and grandparents tell me I look great every time I see them.. but I dont count that as they know I'm trying.

Hahaha. My Nan is the exact same. She said she thought it looked like I'd lost weight when I'd actually gained the 28lb that made me stop and decide to change my life!

I've lost 10lb so far (maybe more - weigh in tomorrow!) and my family have said that they are starting to see it. I have a friend who is also on MFP, so she announced my weight loss to my other friends, who then were all like "Ohhh yeaaahhh - you can totally tell!" Haha.

I think people notice the change in me - I am more positive, I'm happier and I am more careful with my food when before, I was reckless! People will notice in good time. But you need to remember - you are not losing weight for them, you're losing it for you. :smile:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jennyhoon wrote: »

They don't mention a single thing because they afraid you may stop your healthy eating habit.
    That or they might think it's rude or they feel guilty for how they treated me before.

That's awful :(.

Not really. I know the progress I've made.

However, a lot of my friends used to pester me about "eating enough" when I was a perfectly healthy weight (although I was a little "top" heavy). Having food constantly shoved in my face was rather annoying.

Then after, I met my husband, I got extermely lazy and continued to eat like I was active. This caused me to gain about 50lbs. When I started to get ready to do something about it, I found out I was pregnant with my first. The pregnancy didn't go well and I rapidly gained weight (60lbs in 34 weeks). As soon as I was deemed well enough, I started working on my weight. I was at the 90lbs lost mark last year, but ended up pregnant again and now I'm almost back to where I left off.

My mom, loves to commit and tell people. She wants to lose weight as well.

My aunt wants me to stop, even though I still have around 25lbs to lose just to get to the high end of the healthy bmi range for my height. She actually wanted me to stop when I was still in the obese range.

My grandmother is (like my mom) also very supportive and recently surprised me with a subscription to Cooking Light magazine.

• Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I was very large when I started but it took almost 50 lbs before anyone noticed. I think it just depends on your body type and how you carry your weight and also how often you are around people. The more you are around them it takes them longer to notice usually :)
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am 15 pounds down from my highest weight 235 lbs. Not many people around me are noticing my loss. How much weight did you guys lose before other people (not family) started noticing your loss?
    I was way fat - 278 pounds, and nobody noticed until I reached that first 20 pound lost mark.
    That's when people noticed and commented. After 40 pounds gone, I became a local weight loss rock star...EVERYBODY NOTICED...but after 90+ pounds gone...
    NOTHING!
    I wondered about that, then it hit me. Nobody recognizes me like this. I am truly a new person!
    And so too will you be a new creation. Good Luck <3
    ydnw9s0j3sdr.jpg

• cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I am down 40 pounds & 5 dress sizes, but aside from family, hardly anyone has noticed. I am down to a size 14 & lost 15% of my total body weight and am 1/2 way to goal.... Not sure what that "magic" number will??
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I don't count people who knew I was trying to lose weight, but I was down 14lb when a coworker commented. That was felt pretty awesome. After that people starting noticing a lot.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I hit about 35 pounds lost that people commented. At 50 pounds one person said your so skinny...are you well? The best was after I hurt my shoulder weight lifting. I started walking a lot, started here and moved on to running. I went back to the gym without my signature beer gut and was greeted to "well look at skinny". All wanted to know how I did it.
  • vgravedo
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I weighed 220lbs! I think it was when I got down in the 190's that people really noticed. I loved that. Then I lost (with a lot of work) to be 152lbs. Then I too got pregnant (second time) and went back up to 190lbs. This was about 5 years ago. In between then I got back down to the 150s and was happy at that weight even if it was more than my BMI recommended, which is 145lbs tops. I am now currently 190lbs and starting all over again. I am looking forward to getting down to the 150s again.
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had lost at least 40 lbs and nobody (outside of family) had said anything. People immediately started commenting when I bought new clothes.

I think co-workers and friends see you in the same clothes and don't over analyze your figure day-to-day. However when you have a new shirt/outfit they actually take a moment to pause and see how it looks on you and then... 'wow, you look great in that shirt.'
  • vgravedo
    Options
    AShannon54 wrote: »
    I had lost at least 40 lbs and nobody (outside of family) had said anything. People immediately started commenting when I bought new clothes.

I think co-workers and friends see you in the same clothes and don't over analyze your figure day-to-day. However when you have a new shirt/outfit they actually take a moment to pause and see how it looks on you and then... 'wow, you look great in that shirt.'

I agree. I once worked with a co-worker, who was a nurse and she wore scrubs and I had noticed that her scrubs were super baggy on her one day. Then, one day she wore new fitted scrubs and that's when I asked her if she had lost a lot of weight because she looked amazing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    50# down is when hubby's co-workers started asking him about me. "Has she lost weight?"
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!