I nearly died 5 days ago...

Options

Replies

• JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    Unless you were in NT, 120KPH is over the speed limit. Doing 120KPH in a 4WD is asking for trouble anyway - they are unstable at speed as the six rollovers attests. I can't see a bitumen surface in the photos which makes the 120KPH even more ill-advised.

With luck, your pains are just minor and will go away by themselves but you must get them checked out to prevent possible troubles later in life.

I hope you choose your drivers more wisely in the future.

Goes without saying however this does not need to be covered as I wasn't driving. We have talked about it with the driver and left it at that.

The roads were sealed. I'm not sure what photo you are looking at but the wreck is sitting in a towing yard.

Thanks for the advice but it's not a recruitment process. She's made a mistake and now has to live with it. If the state government is prepared to give her a license then that's good enough for me.

Cheers
  • JSE81
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    So glad you are ok and being looked after well. It was a pleasure to walk with you and hope we can again one day. {hugs}

I am happy to call you a friend Sue. You are a wonderful person. Same. I'll be in Townsville for the start of the school holidays.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    dude. wow. glad youre ok.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Well wishes on your recovery.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    We might have to do the Lavarack Barracks walk instead of the hill this time while you're still healing.. if you are up to even that by then. Otherwise we'll go for a beer near the beach :)
  • JSE81
    Options
    We might have to do the Lavarack Barracks walk instead of the hill this time while you're still healing.. if you are up to even that by then. Otherwise we'll go for a beer near the beach :)

Sounds good. I'll be having my knee looked at today and requesting an extended medical certificate. I'm hoping my knee is only bruised and doesnt require surgery.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the accident, but truly believe what 'Fantastic' said earlier - if you're saved it means you still have a role to play and people to influence.
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sucks when you almost die. I've done that a couple of times. When I was 17 years old, I had my first grand mal seizure while taking a shower. Cracked the back of my neck on the tub, started turning blue (from what I was told), curled up in the fetal position but somehow I came out of it.

Another time was when my wife was driving and slammed on the brakes going about 80 mph because a dog ran out in the middle of the road. We spin around a couple times until we crossed the median and ended up on the other side of the freeway. A semi was coming straight for us and, luckily for us, he was paying attention and got out of the way or both me and her would have died back then for sure.

It's scary but definitely makes you re-think your life.

8830689.png
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, hope you heal up fast!
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be flippant and say 'cool story bro' but seriously..... cool story bro, that is an amazing, albeit horrific experience, so glad you are taking it so positively, I have had a couple of brushes with death myself and it certainly changes your outlook. Keep safe buddy and I hope your injuries clear up soon.
  • JSE81
    Options
    Thanks. I am literally elated to be alive. I have no grudges or ill feeling towards towards the person that has done this to me just happy I can still go ahead and achieve the things I want to from life.
  • fit_war
    fit_war Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Glad u are ok ☺
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Well I'm annoyed with her sorry.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Wow, crazy pick. Glad you are recovered. Scary.
  • JSE81
    Options
    Well I'm annoyed with her sorry.

A lot of people are. :smile:
  • mockchoc
    Options
    That's because you're such a lovely guy to be honest.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here's to hoping you have a full recovery. :)
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Really glad that you are ok! However, in regards to the girl driving and peoples annoyance... who here has never sped, or pulled a dumb manouver or just temporarily lost concentration? Thankfully - we all do this often, but luckily we usually get away scot free. Sadly accidents do happen - thankfully you all survived and hopefully this girl has learned a lesson.

As an aside, I was in a very serious bike accident about 5 years ago - as a pillion passenger. Totally rider error - my friend was speeding and he messed up badly. He hyper extended his thumb, and I nearly lost both legs. I never harboured one bit of resentment towards him (despite living daily with pain) - I got on the back in jeans, I knew the risk and I didn't ask him to slow down.

However, about two years ago, I was out on my own bike and I passed him on a roundabout. He was repeatedly going round the roundabout far too quickly attempting to get his knee down with a pillion on the back. Once I realised he hadn't learnt from his mistake my resentment kicked in!

Not that I have learned my lesson - I still get on bikes and go too fast - just not normally as a pillon.

It is sad that this has happened, but as stated by the OP - these things do happen, and she has to live with it... lets hope she learns from it. Bloody women drivers LOL
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    JSE81 wrote: »
    raysputin wrote: »
    Unless you were in NT, 120KPH is over the speed limit. Doing 120KPH in a 4WD is asking for trouble anyway - they are unstable at speed as the six rollovers attests. I can't see a bitumen surface in the photos which makes the 120KPH even more ill-advised.

With luck, your pains are just minor and will go away by themselves but you must get them checked out to prevent possible troubles later in life.

I hope you choose your drivers more wisely in the future.

Goes without saying however this does not need to be covered as I wasn't driving. We have talked about it with the driver and left it at that.

The roads were sealed. I'm not sure what photo you are looking at but the wreck is sitting in a towing yard.

Thanks for the advice but it's not a recruitment process. She's made a mistake and now has to live with it. If the state government is prepared to give her a license then that's good enough for me.

Cheers

I was ready to get annoyed with the driver until I realised that 120kph isn't all that fast. It's not in speed-demon-showing-off type territory at all.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    My friend the OP has forgotten to mention she was doing something else while driving so it wasn't the speed so much Oishii.