• countryboy1975
    Options
    Ecig
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I never started

d272419bff4ec100d75eac6ce43dbe83c3a8ab5fc6fbbb40f6728abbb01aa4db.jpg

I smoked for 23 years. I LOVED cigarettes. LOVED them. I would've rather had a pack of Marlboro Lights Menthol than my next breath of air. My mother in law passing away last year after having battled lung cancer and living with COPD wasn't enough to get me to quit. I'd been under a lot of stress this summer, and had gotten up to about a pack and a half a day. I *knew* I needed to quit because I was having trouble breathing, and I just didn't feel good. I'm in my mid 30's, so, it wasn't going to be long before it started to catch up with me. Ironically enough, I'd had a change in medication and it didn't take long before it started affecting the way things taste. I went out for my nightly cigarette, something I used to love, and savor, and I remember thinking to myself, I don't even want this. I took I think three draws off of it. It didn't even taste good. I threw it out.

Until last night, I hadn't had a cigarette since. I *thought* I wanted one. Nope. I took two draws off it, and it tasted absolutely horrible. Put it out. Just wasn't the same. I didn't get the enjoyment that I once loved from smoking, nor did it taste the same that it once did. I honestly don't believe I'll ever go back. I have used the e-cigs in the past, but right now, I'm thankful that I've given up the habit. Best of luck to your boyfriend and brother. I know it's not easy. I'd tried several times before, and with the exception of when I was pregnant/nursing, I've never been able to put them down.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    By never starting.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Smoke a pack a day for 25 years. Quit cold Turkey using whyquit.com. It's easier than losing weight because you can almost avoid smokes- you can't with food.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Srsly, my grandma was a chain smoker and even before she died of lung cancer from it, I decided long before that it appeared to be a very hard thing to quit so I'd be better off never starting it. Unfortunately I did not apply the same logic to chocolate. *eats another halloween oreo*
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To the ones saying they never started, would you go to an A.A. meeting and tell them you never started?

ETA: I used Nicotrol inhalers. They worked awesome for me, but not every method works for every person.
  • jt_alucard
    jt_alucard Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    working on it now...using a e cig for bad days...havne't bought a pack in over a week.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you quitters!!!! :) (we really need better smilies on here!!)
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I stopped with an ecig back in Feb, and the help and support of a group on line called healthunlocked. Amazing folk on there :)
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I slowed and down and used some lubricant. :#
  • sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey, it wasn't difficult for me.

But I had to have made up my mind already that I wanted to quit... until I had done that, I wasn't going to quit.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    I started cut cigarettes and I used nicotine cewh gums I stopped in 3 months and I started trekking to get oxygen in my lunges, I stayed vegetarian for a while otherwise I would crave cigarettes!!

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I tried everything except prescriptions. from the patch, gum, lozenges - nothing distracted me from wanting the real thing....until I got a Vape. So, I'm technically still "smoking", but it's actually vaping a flavor at 0mg of nicotene
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I was never a heavy smoker, so we picked a day and stopped cold turkey. My husband had a much harder time. He took to eating ice cream sundaes whenever the cravings got too bad ( mind you he was a 2+ pack a day smoker). Forty pounds later, he was free of cigarettes, took up running, and is now a workaholic marathoner. Smoking just got too inconvenient and socially awkward in the "new world"
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey but bribed myself for positive reinforcement. In the 80s, my two pack a day habit cost about EUR 40, so the price of a new CD. On Saturday, I would buy myself a little gift with the cigarette money (typically a CD) and my contract with myself was to not smoke for the week until the gift was paid for. As time went by, I bought bigger gifts with longer periods of cigarette money. For example designer shoes with three months of cigarette money. About a year and half in, I could stop bribing myself. It took about two years before I stopped thinking about cigarettes completely.
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    I quit a little over a year ago with an ecig. If you go that route, buy a REAL set up.
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I quit with an e-cig as well. I used that for about 8 months and then stopped using that as well. Lasted 1.5 year but then stress got the better of me and I started smoking again. I'm currently doing the e-cig quit again. Day 3...so far, so good.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. Both my parents smoked all theire lives. 2 Packs. Pall Malls. after 35 years my Dad came home and said "I quit today." He never smoked again and didn't seem to have a problem. My Mom decided she would quit. Took her a year, with many failings and she was a bltch most of the time. After my Dad died, my Mom started smoking again.
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I got seriously sick and couldn't breathe. After that I reevaluated my smoking habits and quit cold turkey. That was in March of this year.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    My last cigarette was September 25, 2012. I was a 2-3 PAD and had tried to quit on multiple occasions using various things like gum, patches, prescription meds, etc. Ultimately it was the e-cig that did the trick.

When I picked up the e-cig (not one of the cigarette looking kind...I wanted something completely different) I determined that I would never pick up another cigarette ever again...and I haven't. The first couple weeks were tough...the ecig helped for sure, but I still wanted the real thing..but it helped a lot.

After a couple of months or so I decided to lower the amount of nicotine...then a couple months later I lowered it again...and again until I was at zero nicotine. I did this over the course of about 6 months. I was at zero nicotine for a month or so when my battery went out...I just decided at that point that I was done altogether.

More than two years later, I'm a completely different person. I still get a craving now and then...especially when I'm out in the mountains around a campfire or something...but by and large I don't think about it much anymore at all.