Female bulk

Options
clemdomino
clemdomino Posts: 9
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Hi there

I'm trying to bulk up but having a hard time with my macros. Current caloric goal is 2070, 255 carbs / 135 protein / 55 fats.

Most of the time at the end of the day I've hit my carbs & protein ratios, but still am in a caloric deficit because of the remaining fats. I know I should up my fat intake and plan my meals in advance to avoid this, but what should I do if it happens again? I mean, I can't DRINK an olive oil bottle...

I'm new to bodybuilding so I'm here to learn. Should I reach my calorie target OR my macros?

Thank you

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Eat an avocado, keep your yolks in your eggs...thats all i got
  • clemdomino
    Options
    Yes, but that's what I was talking about when I wrote about planning :)
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Bacon is the answer to everything

Bumping for additional help
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try nut butters, avocados, nuts. I wouldn't overly worry about it, you're hitting your protein and staying under on the calories.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Fats are actually pretty important. Peanut Butter, oils, avocados, ets are all great sources.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A handfull of nuts before bed
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you want to bulk, you need to eat a calorie surplus. Fats are very important so make sure you eat enough of them. Bacon, cheese, eggs, nuts, coconut/olive oil, etc.

If you hit your macros you will also reach your calorie target.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You pretty much answered your own question, planning meals in advance can really help. Try pre-logging your day (even if it is just a rough backbone). Aim to hit your protein and fat goals, then fill the rest with carbs. Your fats aren't set too high that I don't think that should be very hard to hit. I don't know what is in your diary but adding nut butters with fruit, olive oil with salad or in cooking, avocados to sandwiches or salads, whole milk or ice cream always helps too.
    Hitting your macros exactly is unnecessary... the main aim is to be at a calorie surplus for sure.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You might get additional help in the Gaining Weight section of the forums.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you in surplus with 2070? That seems low for a bulk.
  • clemdomino
    Options
    Sardelsa thank you, yep I think the main goal is to hit my 2070 target. I'm very skinny, my trainer put me on this diet Singingflutelady... Do you think it's too low? I'm an ectomorph and find it REALLY hard to gain, but maybe current diet is the cause ...
  • amycgarcia
    amycgarcia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Our Macros are pretty close :) I'm doing 125P/50F/275C. I usually save some carbs for an after dinner treat and if I need more fat, PB is good but sometimes too high in protein, in which case I go for dark chocolate chips!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    clemdomino wrote: »
    Sardelsa thank you, yep I think the main goal is to hit my 2070 target. I'm very skinny, my trainer put me on this diet Singingflutelady... Do you think it's too low? I'm an ectomorph and find it REALLY hard to gain, but maybe current diet is the cause ...

What is your maintenance? Eat 125-250 calories above that every day and lift the *kitten* out of everything. Some girls even eat more. If you don't know your maintenance, you really should test it and figure it out.

Also agree with MrM27, no such thing as an ectomorph.

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    clemdomino wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm trying to bulk up but having a hard time with my macros. Current caloric goal is 2070, 255 carbs / 135 protein / 55 fats.

Most of the time at the end of the day I've hit my carbs & protein ratios, but still am in a caloric deficit because of the remaining fats. I know I should up my fat intake and plan my meals in advance to avoid this, but what should I do if it happens again? I mean, I can't DRINK an olive oil bottle...

I'm new to bodybuilding so I'm here to learn. Should I reach my calorie target OR my macros?

Thank you

And to answer your OP, you should hit both your calories and macros. Plan to go into the red every day. Your macros look fine. Don't know how much you weigh, but hitting a minimum of 135 grams of protein and 55 grams of fat sounds reasonable. Again, it would help if we knew your weight as your protein minimum is usually set some where around 0.8 - 1.0 grams per pound of body weight and fats are a minimum of 0.35 - 0.45 grams per pound of body weight.

As far as fats - you've been given a lot of good ideas. I love cream cheese, quest bars and gelato.

• jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    some folks add coconut oil to protein shakes, grass fed butter to veggie, cheese please
    55 fats -damn i just read that
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Unless you are sedentary, really short or really light, I am guessing that 2070 calories is not an amount you would bulk on. I suggest going to a TDEE calculator such as IIFYM and find your maintenance and eat above that. Also, fat, just keep a stash of nuts around or throw in a few tbsp of nut butter before bed, or even have some ice cream or dark chocolate.