Should you see a doctor before taking an Iron supplement?

Options
doug0915
doug0915 Posts: 13
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
One of the things I notice when tracking my nutrition is that I almost never get the 100% (I hover around 50% for the week) of Iron (I'm currently on a 1500 calorie a day diet to lose weight)

Last time I had my blood work done my Doctor never mentioned an Iron deficiency.

I'm a guy (since it seems that matters as Women seem to have more Iron problems).

I'm don't THINK I'm anemic, but wonder if taking an Iron supplement to make up the differenice is something I should hold off on until talking to my doctor first?

Thanks for any help on this!

BTW..same deal on Calcium. I take a multivitamin but it does not seem to make up the Calcium or Iron deficit.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Why not just take a multivitamin? That should give you the iron you are lacking in your diet.
  • doug0915
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Why not just take a multivitamin? That should give you the iron you are lacking in your diet.

:) Just edited my post. I do (mega men) but it doesn't seem to make up the difference.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    This is something I'd like to know as well, personally. I don't really know how to help, but just thought I'd let you know that instant Cream of Wheat has 50% of your daily iron needs and only 100 calories per sachet! It's a lifesaver for me. :)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    MFP is not accurate at tracking iron and most micronutrients. Most entries are user generated so many people don't enter iron Also iron is not legally required on food labeling in most countries so with these two things it is only rarely included on the database. If you believe you may have an iron deficiency go speak to your doctor over dosing on iron is not good and very dangerous. In all likelihood you're iron levels are fine
  • doug0915
    Options
    Ubik42 wrote: »
    MFP is not accurate at tracking iron and most micronutrients. Most entries are user generated so many people don't enter iron Also iron is not legally required on food labeling in most countries so with these two things it is only rarely included on the database. If you believe you may have an iron deficiency go speak to your doctor over dosing on iron is not good and very dangerous. In all likelihood you're iron levels are fine

Well, I scan most of my food with the app. I guess in my circumstance I actually go for accurate measures (as can be measured on the side of a box that is). That's Interesting on the labeling.

Thanks for the Info. I'm due to talk to the doctor soon anyhow.

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, talk to your doctor first, and I'm 99.9% certain the answer will be no.
  • doug0915
    Options
    This is something I'd like to know as well, personally. I don't really know how to help, but just thought I'd let you know that instant Cream of Wheat has 50% of your daily iron needs and only 100 calories per sachet! It's a lifesaver for me. :)

Love Cream of Wheat myself :) But it's such a simple carbohydrate that it goes through me like ramen noodles...in that i'm hungry in a half hour.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    doug0915 wrote: »

Love Cream of Wheat myself :) But it's such a simple carbohydrate

No it's not

• rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    +1 on going to see the doc before taking an iron supplement. It's one that you have to be more careful about (and IIRC men are at higher risk for taking too much - you don't lose blood on a regular basis so your RDA is much lower). You may want to address it through diet - red meat, lentils, etc...
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Iron is something that is harmful even in mild excess so it's something I would not supplement unless there was a documented medical need. One way to get a quick free idea of your iron is to donate blood (and hey, you get to save several lives in the process!). I know a few people who found out they were low that way and I found out that mine was fine even though according to my MFP reports I am usually not more than 50% for iron.
  • doug0915
    Options
    doug0915 wrote: »

Love Cream of Wheat myself :) But it's such a simple carbohydrate

No it's not

Just did some research on that. Seems like Cream of Wheat is somewhere in between. Not much fiber, but good in the areas you mentioned.