Sweet tooth - How do give up sugar-y treats.

Options
Hi, guys. Lately I've been under a lot of stress and (of course) my way of dealing with that was sugar treats. (Chocolate, cupcakes, twix/bounty, m&m) and for the last month or so I've really let myself go. It would go like a whole day without eating, then making myself sick to the stomach of eating all at once. Result = Gained 5 kgs. and now I know I have a problem and I want to stop and reverse the gaining process. It's like the more sugar I have the more I want of it. What's your way to deal with that? Dark chocolate? Fruits? Please I really need some advices :(

Replies

• vgravedo
    Options
    I recently went cold turkey with candy and real sugar. I think what helps with my cravings is to mix cocoa powder (no sugar), stevia, and plain yogurt (no sugar) together and it tastes like chocolate pudding....best way for me to beat my sugar cravings.
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If sugar is your weakness - I would cut it out completely for at least a month or so and then slowly reintroduce only natural sugars like fruits. Moderation might not be the easiest method for you to start off with as temptation of having those foods around will likely drive you a little mad.

If you want sweets, force yourself to have a glass of water instead. That's my suggestion. At least until you have the cravings under control.

You can do it - if you want to.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The first thing I'll suggest is not going all day without eating. Eat 3 balanced meals a day and healthy snacks and you won't feel the need to go running to the junk food. Whenever I go long periods without eating I tend to go for chocolate and crisps over veg and meat. Junk food and fast food seems the easiest way to stop the hunger when you're really hungry. Start planning your meals. Plan for 3 meals a day and snacks in between.

The second suggestion is not to just cut out junk food, replace it. I replaced my sugar cravings from jellies to fruit. I always keep a tin of fruit cocktail in a light syrup in my presses for when the cravings get bad. It's better than chocolate!

If you live alone and have control over what food comes into the house, then stop buying junk food. Stock up on fruit for when the cravings come around (which will be a lot less once you start eating meals during the day). If you don't have control over what comes into the house then this is going to be a lot more tougher, but possible! I don't have control over the food in my house, so I had to learn to just resist the junk and sugar and learn to be happy with my fruit. Over time you'll start craving fruit instead of the junk :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I didn't I just logged everything worked out extra if my calories were too high. Focus on calories as a whole once you master that then start on the macro and micro numbers. Good Luck
    29509743.png
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i don't cut anything from my diet. i just make sure i have room for it in my daily calorie allowance and macros.

if i feel like a snickers, i have a snickers.

stay at a healthy caloric deficit and you will lose weight.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's definitely true that the more sugar you eat it, the more you want it. The best advice I can give is to just not keep any around your house, or at least keep it out of sight until you've gotten over the cravings.

You might want to just want to temporarily get rid of all of your "highly processed" carb snacks for a little while. Use fruit or tea to satisfy your sweet tooth in the meantime. And definitely never go to the grocery store hungry!
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    For me...I just told myself I'm not buying it again. And I keep to that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup. I stopped buying it. I found other snacks and treats. I went pretty well cold turkey. It sucked for a while. But I'm so so very glad I did it.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    It sounds overly simple to say I'm not buying it again, but for me that's why it works. It's a simple rule to keep. When you go to the supermarket, stick to your grocery list and don't buy anything extra. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It would go like a whole day without eating, then making myself sick to the stomach of eating all at once. Result = Gained 5 kgs. and now I know I have a problem and I want to stop and reverse the gaining process. It's like the more sugar I have the more I want of it. What's your way to deal with that?

I used to do something similar in that I'd be stressed at work and have nothing I wanted to eat at the office so I'd go all day without eating and go home and not feel like cooking or even really eating home cooked food and plus it would seem too late to have dinner, so I'd buy a pint of ice cream and just eat that.

My way of dealing with that--in addition to just being more organized so worst case I can whip up an omelet quickly--is not to go so long without eating. If I know it's going to be hard to get in regular meals or I'll be working past my normal dinner, I make sure I have something to eat anyway, ideally a packed dinner, but if not at least greek yogurt and fruit.

Not sure why you are going all day without eating, but that seems like a big part of the problem.
  • jeanniedep
    Options
    It seems to be a cycle with me as well. If I binge on sugar then I keep wanting it! I've found that eating well and including only a little bit of sugar (chocolate with 75% cocoa is really good and low sugar) then I don't crave sugar as much. You can eat a bit of sweets but then get back to good food. Also it takes a few days to wean off of all of the sugar so forgive yourself if the first few days are rough.