PCOS: Caloric intake lower than 1200 cals

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    I would believe BCP is birth control pills -- I've taken them off and on but am currently off. They're commonly prescribed to alleviate the symptoms, and before I started exercising they were a Godsend.
  • Hols969
    Hols969 Posts: 8 Member
    We do need to eat less than a non pcos lady to get the same results as we naturally store fat very efficiently (lucky us). If we ate the RDA to maintain we would still gain 2lb a month so a stone a year. I tend to stick to around 1200-1400 calories a day and do 45-60 mins exercise.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    F&?%$ no.

Less than 1200 calories is not a way to have appropriate nutrition. When I eat less then 1500 calories I feel fatigue and life is not worth living
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I have read a few articles in medical journals where they measured women ( not obese ) with pcos and found they have lower basal metabolic rate than women without. therefore what would normal cause weight loss for women without pcos will not do the same for pcos women. Articles concluded that women basal metabolic rate is much lower and to increase it women have to add exercise to daily calorie loss,

This would suggest that pcos women who are not obese ( because if obese then your basal metabolic rate will be higher ) will need to take in less than 1200 calories to achieve a deficit in calorie intake.

I have been on a 1000 and hit 900 some days and only just lose enough weight compared to my friends. I exercise 3 times a week and it seems to make no difference.

You should work on tyour matabolism instead of shooting it to hell. It is the only way if you want to lose the weight long term
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    I also have PCOS and have never heard of this. My Endrocronologist never really did anything for my PCOS. He didn't put me on any meds for my insulin or even birth control pills (I can't take hormonal birth control pills due to previous blood clots). I have heard that low carb eating is best for PCOS patients, but he never told me this either. I was put on a 1200 calorie diet and lost about 20 pounds in 6 months (very slow to lose).
    He was totally against me having WLS, but wouldn't recommend anything else I could do to get the weight off (I was 325 pounds when I had WLS in November). Now that I have WLS, I have lost 70 pounds in 4 1/2 months, but that is slower than a lot of WLS patients. I think it is due to the calorie issue where we require less calories and have to cut more calories to lose weight.
    I know when I was on birth control pills in the past, I lost weight more easily because my hormones were under control. I can't take hormonal birth control now because I had a blood clot in 2006. The weight really piled on after I had to stop the birth control pills and now it is much harder to get the weight back off even after WLS.
    I have been doing a higher protein and lower carb diet since WLS (protein over 50 grams per day and carbs around 60 grams per day. I have switched things around with my carbs to see what works best for me and this works better for me than ultra low carb seems to.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    I have heard of this, it was recommended at about 800 calories. The theory is new and based on research regarding Insulin resistance and VLCD's and the results of the many gastric bypass surgeries that have shown when you eat less than a certain amount of calories you are no longer insulin resistant or diabetic.

Not sure about eating back exercise calories though I was bombarded with so much information totally new to when I was first diagnosed 14 years ago that I forgot to ask.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Save for later
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Absolutely. For some women with PCOS, it is the ONLY way to lose weight. I had tried fora while sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and exercising up to two hours a day but my weight loss still stopped. I'm going back to the ONLY weight loss plan that has worked for me before, which is staying under 1000 a day and exercising at least 30-60 minutes daily.

Of COURSE you can't get the nutrition you need. You MUST eat 2000+ calories a day to get the nutrition you need. This is why every dieter, even an extreme one, should take a complete multivitamin. It's absolutely, completely impossible to get your daily requirements when dieting even at 1500 calories. Nutritionists have tried to figure out a way and they can't.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    That sounds awfully low, they should look at you, as if you are prediabetic, do they recommend such a low amount for people suffering from type 2 diabeties? I doubt it

My dr told me low GI, or limit carbs.

I had success with low GI but it was hard to maintain after a while (then when you mix it with GL eee)

I've found restricting carbs alot easier, since its alot easier to monitor through MFP.

My weight loss took years , which is annoying people without PCOS where getting rid of double the weight, however since it took them less time, they had a tendency to get back to old habits and gain back.
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    I've read about a a few studies citing good weight loss after a short term VLCD. I too have PCOS and struggle to lose a pound never mind the 30 that needs to go. The only time in the past 4 months that I have lost is when I did a juicing fast for 10 days. it was drastic. I'm going to try something like <800 and see how it goes.
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    I have PCOS and am on Metformin and Spironolactone. I am losing on 1600-1800 net calories a day (I exercise a lot, 300-500 cals per day, I usually eat about half back). I limit carbs - I am gluten-sensitive and so don't eat gluten at all, and that makes it a lot easier to cut carbs.

I would not recommend anyone go on an under-1200 calorie per day diet without medical supervision. Please remember, a lot of the medical studies that get published - ESPECIALLY about PCOS - involve under 50 people in a sample cohort. Extrapolating results for a very small number of people to a larger population is not that easy. It has been shown that weight loss surgery is effective for PCOSers, but then, WLS is effective for almost everyone. I would NOT try to effect WLS/VLCD results on your own, without a doctor supervising. There are structured, supervised programs out there if you want to go that low.

I will just throw out there that going gluten-free helped both my weight loss and my overall health tremendously. There is a link between PCOS and gluten sensitivity, you can Google to read more. If PCOS is an autoimmune disease, as a lot of people think it is, being in a constant state of inflammation from what you eat (gluten) definitely does not help things. I am not making recommendations, just reporting my experience.
  • vcuchick
    vcuchick Posts: 29 Member
    Hi y'all!! I have PCOS. Diagnosed at 18, now 34. Most of my GYN MDs never told me anything like that... I've been battling weight loss/gain for 20 years. But I recently finished a medical weight loss program at a local hospital and I was under the care of a Bariatrician. (Physician who specializes in weight loss and the effect of weight and I learned LOADS of what PCOS does to the body.) Not only does it make it MUCH more difficult for us to lose weight and keep it off, because of that insuline sensitivity and extra body fat (Which makes it's own estrogene thereby compounding the problems! yikes stripes!)

We have a double whammy when it comes to weight loss. Originally, she had me on 800 cal diet for 4 weeks to kick start the process, then weaned me up to 1100-1200 max. (of course I was under MD suppervision in the process) (I've still got a ways to go...lost about 38 lbs so far...want to get to 100lbs lost) But a 1200 cal/day diet is not as restrive as you think. There's a great YouTube video on what a 1200 cal/day diet looks like. It's suprizing how much food there is!

PCOS is almost like having diabetes without having it. :/

The most useful thing I learned from my new MD is that with PCOS, we are SUPER sensitive to complex carbs and refined sugars. I limit my carbs and sugars (since carbs really are sugars at the basic level.) I treat it almost like an allergy. I have taken most complex carbs and refined sugars out of my diet. This is where the energy comes in. I used to be a 2 cup coffee/day girl. Now I don't even have to drink coffee anymore and I have LOADS of energy. The carbs in your system act almost like a drug...making you sluggish and "gloopy" and you don't even realize it...I took carbs out and I found my whole system has improved. Then when I do eat carbs in large quantities, I feel it. I feel gross & sluggish and wonder why I ever lived that way to begin with! I have changed my diet and almost follow an Atkins-esque type diet. Lean protein, veggies...my carbs come in the form of nuts, and whole grains, and beans (in moderation).

I would HIGHLY recommend trying it for a month. Takes some getting used to but there are so many great low-cal/low-carb recipe websites out there that you can do it without even missing it! You'll be amazed at how much better you feel. All of my PCOS symptoms have improved in only 12 weeks and I'm off ALL my medications!
  • vcuchick
    vcuchick Posts: 29 Member
    I agree! *bump*
    I have PCOS and am on Metformin and Spironolactone. I am losing on 1600-1800 net calories a day (I exercise a lot, 300-500 cals per day, I usually eat about half back). I limit carbs - I am gluten-sensitive and so don't eat gluten at all, and that makes it a lot easier to cut carbs.

I would not recommend anyone go on an under-1200 calorie per day diet without medical supervision. Please remember, a lot of the medical studies that get published - ESPECIALLY about PCOS - involve under 50 people in a sample cohort. Extrapolating results for a very small number of people to a larger population is not that easy. It has been shown that weight loss surgery is effective for PCOSers, but then, WLS is effective for almost everyone. I would NOT try to effect WLS/VLCD results on your own, without a doctor supervising. There are structured, supervised programs out there if you want to go that low.

I will just throw out there that going gluten-free helped both my weight loss and my overall health tremendously. There is a link between PCOS and gluten sensitivity, you can Google to read more. If PCOS is an autoimmune disease, as a lot of people think it is, being in a constant state of inflammation from what you eat (gluten) definitely does not help things. I am not making recommendations, just reporting my experience.
  • Mrsnewlywed
    Mrsnewlywed Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I have PCOS and try to stay current on related research. There is an interesting study out of the University of Athens in Greece regarding this topic. The study found that women with PCOS and insulin resistance had a much lower BMR (basal metabolic rate, or the amount of calories you burn when at rest, just to keep your internal organs running, heart rate, etc.) than a woman without these conditions. Significantly lower! Which means that a woman with PCOS and insulin resistance who is trying to lose weight, which can feel nearly impossible, needs a calorie deficit that reflects HER BMR- sorry this is so long, but to answer your question, no it would not be unheard of for a doctor to suggest this level of caloric intake. The key is to eat a low carb, low glycemic index diet, and get a lot of exercise. This is what works best for me, and it definitely gives me more energy. I aim for about 1200 kcals/day intake, and burn about 300-500 calories at the gym 5-6 days a week (I don't eat back my calories). Hope this helps! Glad to see people are talking about PCOS, so many women have it and so much more research is needed!
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    I have pcos. I only lose on a diet of 1000 to 1200 a day. I am on bcp which has helped me tremendously as well. I workout five days a week for at least 30 min. And I rarely eat back my exercise calories. I keep my sugar low and my carbs low. After five years of trying different things, this is what works for me and is the only way I have started losing weight. I currently weigh 186 down from 203. And I am 5'2".
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    I have pcos. I only lose on a diet of 1000 to 1200 a day. I am on bcp which has helped me tremendously as well. I workout five days a week for at least 30 min. And I rarely eat back my exercise calories. I keep my sugar low and my carbs low. After five years of trying different things, this is what works for me and is the only way I have started losing weight. I currently weigh 186 down from 203. And I am 5'2".

BCP do nothing but mask your symptoms. There are A LOT more treatments out there to help regulate insulin and in turn hormones. Talk to your doctor about more treatment options. If they say you only need BCP - find a new doctor. The years that my doctor ignored my diagnosis and kept me on BCP were the worst of my life. You may find that you do not need to eat so low. I am losing weight and eating a lot more than 1200 calories a day.
  • 4bettermenow
    blbst36 wrote: »

BCP do nothing but mask your symptoms. There are A LOT more treatments out there to help regulate insulin and in turn hormones. Talk to your doctor about more treatment options. If they say you only need BCP - find a new doctor. The years that my doctor ignored my diagnosis and kept me on BCP were the worst of my life. You may find that you do not need to eat so low. I am losing weight and eating a lot more than 1200 calories a day.

I understand what you are saying, but they truly have been lifesaving for me in the last three months. After five years of horrific struggles and trying different things, it is better for to stick with my drs treatment plan and I am losing weight with it. When I get to a better weight range for me, I will look at other options.
  • 4bettermenow

And eating low doesn't bother me. I am not starving during the day, I have energy to do my workout and if I find that I am hungry, I will eat a bit more. But for the most part, 1000-1200 works for me.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member

I understand what you are saying, but they truly have been lifesaving for me in the last three months. After five years of horrific struggles and trying different things, it is better for to stick with my drs treatment plan and I am losing weight with it. When I get to a better weight range for me, I will look at other options.

I feel the same way you do. I know it only masks the symptoms, but it also has reduced the hair growth on my neck, my cramps aren't as bad, and it makes me feel normal. By normal I mean I don't get the hormonal crazies that come with getting my period sporadically. It also kick started my ovulation so it's good to know that when it comes time to try for kids, I may have a chance! In addition to BCP I do a semi-low carb/high fat diet and exercise. So I use bcp in conjunction with diet and exercise.

Haven't heard of consuming less than 1200 calories though.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    My doctor put me on BCP because of my PCOS. I haven't started them yet b/c I'm training for a half-marathon that's on Nov. 22nd. My fear is more weight gain and throw my cycle all off. Does one BCP better for PCOS than another? I also have uterine fibroid tumors so I know a hysterectomy is in my future but for now, should the BCP help?