Deadlifts on which day?

Options
harlequin0318
harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Should I do my deadlifts on leg day, or back day....or a separate day altogether? I do a 3 day split because I am only able to get to the gym 3 days a week...so I'm hoping to get a general consensus for the latter

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If I do a 3 day split I do 1 heavy deadlift day and on my heavy squat day I do deadlifts at about 65% of my 1RM for assistance work. So I am doing them 2 times a week
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    Twice a week! Now that's dedication
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Stiff legged deads on your legs day for your hamstrings and glutes, and deadlifts on your back day. Though I would not recommend doing them on consecutive days.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 3-days a week, I think you'd benefit more from a full-body A/B-style program than a body part split, especially if you're trying to create the split yourself.
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    I do chest/tri, back/bi, legs/shoulders for my split - it's pretty generic I thought
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    On a 3 day split I would put them on back day
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    I do chest/tri, back/bi, legs/shoulders for my split - it's pretty generic I thought

I just meant that if you have to ask which day to put deads, you may benefit more from a predesigned program :)
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I just meant that if you have to ask which day to put deads, you may benefit more from a predesigned program :)

I gotcha:)
    some people do it on back and others on leg day, and others twice a week like irishman213. Ill have to test it out and see what works best

• PwrLftr82
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I gotcha:)
    some people do it on back and others on leg day, and others twice a week like irishman213. Ill have to test it out and see what works best

I agree re: SLDL on leg day and regular deads on back day, though. If you're squatting heavy on leg day, you probably won't have the energy for nice heavy conventional deads.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I do full body so I don't have to pick.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm following NROL so right now it's combined with dynamic lunges, step ups and reverse incline crunches. number of sets and rest betwenn switches based on the week.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Squat and back. Bench and shoulders, deads and biceps I guess. You could try doing 3 body parts per workout if you have the time. Your tris will get work from the chest and shoulder days
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

That's a tough one bc your deadlifts are going to have an impact on your squats and your squats are going to have an impact on your deadlifts. You could move your days around EXCEPT for the fact that chest/tri will have an impact on your shoulders and vice versa.

It's like you have a push/pull split with just shoulders tacked on to leg day. I wonder if you would get greater impact of you moved your main shoulder lift (I'm guessing shoulder or military press) to chest/tri day and ancillary shoulder or chest lifts tacked on to your leg day. Then go
    day 1: Back/bi (plus deadlifts as your main CNS strain lift for that day)
    day 2: Chest/ Tri (plus military or shoulder press) (Main Chest and Main shoulder for main CNS strain lifts for day)
    day 3: Legs plus nice to have ancillary lifts. (Squats as main CNS strain lift that day)

That maybe could give you enough spacing in your main lifts and not tear down your CNS too much so you could recover for the next main lifts.

Just thinking out loud.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Should I do my deadlifts on leg day, or back day....or a separate day altogether? I do a 3 day split because I am only able to get to the gym 3 days a week...so I'm hoping to get a general consensus for the latter

I'd do it every day in the gym. One heavy, one medium, one light.

What's "back" day?
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I do my DL's with with my back so I can devote as much potential to my quads as possible. Current split is to devote my first training day to quads and by the third day (with a chest/tri's and rest day intervening) to train hams/back. Again, sparing as much potential for such a big lift.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are tough on your nervous system because they are so intense (if you are doing them heavy). I do them once every other week. The other day I do rack pulls. I would do them on your back day.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Unless you're following a bodybuilding or figure athlete split, try not to look at strength training in-terms of bodyparts, especially when it comes to something like a conventional deadlift. Instead, either do a full-body split like found in StrongLifts5x5 or Starting Strength, or do a conventional DL day where you train around that movement itself.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    212019156 wrote: »
    Deadlifts are tough on your nervous system because they are so intense (if you are doing them heavy). I do them once every other week. The other day I do rack pulls. I would do them on your back day.

I used to do squats, power cleans and deads all on the same day. With supersets off each of the main lifts. It was fine until the lifts got too heavy. Then I went light squats/heavy deads or vice versa. Then finally I had to split them up all together.

Unless she's going very heavy for her, it might not matter when she does them vs that she does them at all
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Stiff legged deads on your legs day for your hamstrings and glutes, and deadlifts on your back day. Though I would not recommend doing them on consecutive days.

This is what I do.
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »

That's a tough one bc your deadlifts are going to have an impact on your squats and your squats are going to have an impact on your deadlifts. You could move your days around EXCEPT for the fact that chest/tri will have an impact on your shoulders and vice versa.

It's like you have a push/pull split with just shoulders tacked on to leg day. I wonder if you would get greater impact of you moved your main shoulder lift (I'm guessing shoulder or military press) to chest/tri day and ancillary shoulder or chest lifts tacked on to your leg day. Then go
    day 1: Back/bi (plus deadlifts as your main CNS strain lift for that day)
    day 2: Chest/ Tri (plus military or shoulder press) (Main Chest and Main shoulder for main CNS strain lifts for day)
    day 3: Legs plus nice to have ancillary lifts. (Squats as main CNS strain lift that day)

That maybe could give you enough spacing in your main lifts and not tear down your CNS too much so you could recover for the next main lifts.

Just thinking out loud.

This makes the most sense for my schedule.