Can't lose stomach fat? Need help!

Options
Some background info: I used to be very overweight until November of last year when I went on a diet and exercise regime. Since then I have lost 20 kgs / 44 lbs. I'm quite happy with my whole body but I have very annoying and stubborn stomach fat.

I do 1 hour of treadmill 5-7 days a week. Until recently my diet was really bad, I was restricting very heavily, but I've increased my intake to a normal amount now and I do my best to stick to healthy foods with the occasional cheat meal. Despite all this my stomach won't budge. It's really affecting my mood and making me very unhappy with myself. I'm thinking of incorporating HIIT into my workout, will this help? I'm desperate and will take any suggestions at this point.

Replies

• DanielleH1213
    DanielleH1213 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Incorporate some type of training other than cardio.
  • mariams99
    mariams99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym though. The only possibility is doing aerobics once a week, will this help??
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    you dont need a gym membership to do weights and strength training. There are TONS of videos on youtube you can reference. If you dont have free weights, use canned goods, or sugar sacks or flour, books... whatever...
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    You can even use your own body weight to start with and add on to it by putting weight in a backpack for things like push ups or even pull ups you can do from an overhanging bar in a play ground. Build muscle and you will burn more fat overall. However, no one can recommend anything to you that will target the stomach fat. Your body has to decide where it burns the excess fat from and the stomach area is usually a problem for many people. Eating less sugary items will also help as it has been shown that sugar increases your bodies glycemic index which leads to fat storage typically around the torso or abdomen area.
  • Jamess8300
    Options
    Just add push ups and sit ups and do as many sets you can for the max amount of reps you can do.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    you don't need a gym for strength training. Your body is its own gym, squats, lunges, reverse crunches, bicycle crunches and planks. Then just finding something heavier and lifting it.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Also, stress can lead to difficulties cutting belly fat. Not sure how it all works but it has something to do with hormone imbalances. I've heard a lot of people recommending large doses of vitamin C to stabilize your body as well as fruits and vegetables high in anti-oxidants but I'm not a nutritionist. You might seek advice from one.
  • mariams99
    mariams99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the help! Does anyone have any easy strength training workouts I can do at home? I don't have any equipment and I'm pretty much a beginner to strength training apart from abdominal exercises!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You can't target fat loss in particular places on the body. As long as you are eating at a calorie deficiency, your body will eventually burn fat on your stomach. You just need to have patience.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    the only way to drop stomach fat is to drop weight. period.

it is the last one to go .. but just keep dieting steadily and you will get there. It took me ~5 months to get rid of a respectable beer belly. well most of it, I never got to the 6 pack stage. Now I have it again due to the fact I quit smoking, back to dieting again, hopefully for good this time.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This is literally the 2nd thread in the announcements on this page.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    mariams99 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the help! Does anyone have any easy strength training workouts I can do at home? I don't have any equipment and I'm pretty much a beginner to strength training apart from abdominal exercises!

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-ultimate-bodyweight-workout-routine/

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
  • anglergirl3
    anglergirl3 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Some great free apps for your smartphone for workouts at home or traveling: "Workouts" and "PumpUp" - you can customize to what part of your body you want to target for each workout and shows you how to do the exercise.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss thus far!

Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce. Fat loss comes from eating in a calorie deficit. There are plenty of body weight workouts that you can find online. Convict training is good. You just have to keep at it and be patient.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 33lbs and have only just started to lose belly fat and im in healthy weight. Every body is different but calorie deficit is how you lose fat off the body as when your body needs energy if you are at calorific deficit it will eat into fat stores these will be from all over I lost on upper arms then legs bum thighs and then back neck shoulders hips and pretty much everywhere but the tummy until now
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    This is literally the 2nd thread in the announcements on this page.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

^This.