Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Who is baking in the morning? I haven't put anything in the oven since last February.

TWSS

*quite* the dry spell.
    Awkward.

If that were true I don't know WHAT I'd be doing, considering what all this fitness has done to my drive.
    lol.

I can only imagine. I'd add more, but only people wanting to know that are buying the movies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I love the egg mcmuffin... good combo of protein fats and carbs.... personally, i take two. If you are worried about sodium, try to get other foods high in magnesium and potassium later in your diet and drink plenty of water.

Does the magnesium and potassium in your diet help even out sodium?

Magnesium and Potassium are some of your electrolytes (along with sodium and calcium) but these two element help maintain and level out your electrolyte balance.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have a sandwich. You aren't limited to "breakfast food", make a sandwich the night before and have it in the fridge. Bake some savoury muffins for the week.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Have a sandwich. You aren't limited to "breakfast food", make a sandwich the night before and have it in the fridge. Bake some savoury muffins for the week.

BK serves burgers for breakfast now.

angry whopper > croissandwich

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

BK serves burgers for breakfast now.

angry whopper > croissandwich

angry whopper on a croissant > angry whopper > croissandwich

I just doubled down.
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/breakfast-breakfast-sandwich-maker-25475.html

You can make your own breakfast sandwich each morning quickly and easily if you don't want to make ahead for the week.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Going to McD's isn't going to automatically make you gain weight. There are some breakfast choices that aren't to bad like the egg mcmuffin (300 cal, I believe). If you like the Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl, why not find a good breakfast casserole recipe that you can tweak the ingredients of to make lower in sodium?

I used to make one with a dozen eggs, a couple boxes of spinach, feta and some ham or turkey pepperoni. Even threw in some hashbrowns a time or two. I'll admit I got tired of it after a while but after writing all of that, it sounds pretty good and I think I'll start making it again. :)
  • calebsmommie1
    calebsmommie1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As for time, quit making excuses. I raised two daughters alone who were 14 months apart in age. That means when I had a one year old, I also had a 2.5 year old. I still managed to eat something before breakfast at home at the kitchen table before packing everyone up to go to school and work. Among other things, do you really want to start feeding that stuff to your child?

Uh, good for you. And who says I feed that to my child? My child actually eats very well, better than me actually.

To everyone else who choose to reserve judgment, thank you for your suggestions. I have done the make-ahead burritos and egg muffins. I just need to find a way to jazz it up because they start to get so lame. Maybe I'll go with the non-breakfast food idea.
  • Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I make a large batch of breakfast burritos then freeze them. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half to fix them all but then you have a homemade breakfast at your disposal every morning for very cheap. You can also modify the ingredients to your dietary needs.

Here's the recipe if you're interested:
    18 burrito sized flour tortillas (you can use whole wheat)
    18 whole eggs (you can use egg whites if you prefer)
    splash of milk
    salt & pepper to taste
    15 slices of bacon, cooked and cooled (can use turkey bacon)
    7 cups hash browns
    cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Cook the bacon (I cook mine in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until crisp); scramble the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper; fry the hashbrowns; and shred the cheese. Let everything cool before you assemble.
    2. In each burrito use about 1/2 cup eggs, 1/4 cup hash browns, 2 tbsp bacon and a sprinkle of cheese.
    3. Wrap each burrito in clear cellophane then place them all in an airtight container or large ziplock storage bag.
    4. To reheat, defrost in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes then cook on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until inside is warmed through.

I shop at Aldi and was able to purchase all the food I needed to make these for around $13.00...divide that by 18 and you have $0.73 burritos :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    http://beautyandbedlam.com/baked-eggs-in-muffin-tins-homemade-egg-mcmuffins/

you can add basil or any sort of seasoning- my friend added a little bit of cheese.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Beat 3 eggs, toss in some pre chopped onions and peppers. Nuke it for 90 seconds.

1/3 cup quick oats, 2/3 cup water, add some fruit if you want. Nuke it for 90 seconds.

BAM!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean it is so easy to just run through a drive thru. All frozen stuff is loaded in sodium and so is McDonalds. I can't eat first thing in the morning I need to be awake at least 2 hours before I can eat. I started making breakfast cookies they are easy to throw in my bag and aren't super sweet because they have no added sugar. I also have made a cheese and sausage open faced mcmuffin. I make them on the weekends and they freeze really well. I just pop it in the microwave at work and I have an easy breakfast. I also will make zuchinni muffins with a little flax seed and that is good too
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I try to prep a batch (dozen) egg muffins on sunday for the week. It takes less then ten minutes to prep, 20 minutes in the oven and you have breakfast on the go.

all you have to do is take out muffin bakeware, chop up whatever veggies you have on hand, put them in each spot, take either egg whites or a dozen eggs (blend them) and pour them over the veggies.

You can add cheese or any spices you like. But, it's seriously the easiest thing to make and it's breakfast on the go.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The cost of eating breakfast on the road is prohibitive for me. I'm super cheap. I get microwave bacon and just put that on a fried egg with some toast. Frying an egg only takes a minute or two. Or I microwave the egg in a tupperware for a minute and put melty cheese on top.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If you have to hit McD's, I recommend that Sausage Burrito and a coffee with cream, no sugar, off the value menu. This is a breakfast that is about 350 calories. The price is even better, $2.00 + tax. They probably lose money on this deal. And there are worse breakfasts. I'm a tall guy and just over 200lbs and it is enough food to keep me going until lunch. I get this when I did not have time to make my own breakfast at home.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    There's different variations for homemade quick meals you can make. You can mix eggs with all sorts of things, like ham, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, cheese. You can even eat them on different breads, like English muffins, bagels, different types of bread, pita breads, etc.

The egg white sandwhich at Mickey D's isn't too high in calories either, btw.
  • Milvardea
    Milvardea Posts: 52
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you don't like sweets for breakfast, that's an easy fix.
    -Try making your own egg muffin sandwiches at home and freezing them or refrigerating them. Reheat in the microwave.
    -Make a mix of 1/2 of unflavored, plain oatmeal, with 1 teaspoon of dried milk. Mix in hot water in the morning and add 1 tablespoon of a nut butter. Savory oatmeal is a thing too!
    -Don't eat breakfast for breakfast. Instead, eat a sandwich, salad, or leftovers.
    -Smoothies. Plain greek yogurt with fruit might not work because they are too sweet, but what about tomato juice and veggies?
    -Make your own trail mix.

There are so many things you can do, and all of them are really easy. It sounds like you are just making excuses for yourself so that you can keep eating McDonalds without guilt. If you want to keep eating it, just keep your calories down the rest of the day. No biggie. But I would cut it down to 2 or 3 times a week instead.

But, if it is not effecting your weightloss, who cares what you eat? I eat Sheetz MTO food once a week, and I'm still losing weight (1 pound a week), so what you eat isn't always super important, just so long as you keep it under control.

Oh, and last time I checked, McDonalds had the Egg White Delight and the Sausage Burrito and Yogurt and Orange Juice and apple slices. You could make a halfway decent meal out of those. Most restaurants now-a-days have lower calorie options. You just have to watch the salt.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I make a large batch of breakfast burritos then freeze them. It takes about an hour to an hour and a half to fix them all but then you have a homemade breakfast at your disposal every morning for very cheap. You can also modify the ingredients to your dietary needs.

splash of milk
    salt & pepper to taste
    7 cups hash browns
    cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Cook the bacon (I cook mine in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until crisp); scramble the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper; fry the hashbrowns; and shred the cheese. Let everything cool before you assemble.
    2. In each burrito use about 1/2 cup eggs, 1/4 cup hash browns, 2 tbsp bacon and a sprinkle of cheese.
    3. Wrap each burrito in clear cellophane then place them all in an airtight container or large ziplock storage bag.
    4. To reheat, defrost in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes then cook on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until inside is warmed through.

I shop at Aldi and was able to purchase all the food I needed to make these for around $13.00...divide that by 18 and you have $0.73 burritos :)

splash of milk
    salt & pepper to taste
    7 cups hash browns
    cheddar cheese, shredded

Totally trying this weekend!

• creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I finally got my husband to start eating breakfast a couple of months ago and he has never eaten breakfast. I was making these one day and he asked if I could start making them for him too. Absolutely!

Whole grain sandwich thin
    Egg (whole egg for him egg beaters for me) - I use an egg pan (T-fal at Walmart for about $5) and it makes the perfect size egg for the sandwich thin
    2 slices of Butterball thin and crisp turkey back
    Cheese (optional)

About 200 cal without the cheese.

These can also be made ahead if it's easier. I ususally do a couple of days worth of the eggs at a time and just get it from the fridge when assembling the sandwich.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm a working mom of a 2 year old as well!! and it's hard.

I also prefer savory, but I've been drinking a fruit smoothie first thing in the morning just to get eating fruit out of the way, cause I don't really like fruit....and its lower in calories so I can stuff my face during lunch and or dinner.

I do love making breakfast sandwiches and burritos though.