Does eating organic help with weight loss?

Options
A friend of mine advised me to eat only organic food, he said it cleared up his skin, and helped him to get in shape too. Of course it he was exercising as well, but he swears that eating organic also did a huge part in helping him toning up.
I've already lost 12 lbs without eating organic food, although it took me a long time, like over 6 month. I'm just curious, if anyone else find that eating organic helps them loss weight?

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well it certainly makes you lose weight in your wallet...
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Of course not.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    organic foods tend to be more expensive. A calorie is a calorie--regardless if it's an organically grown one or a commercially grown one.
  • ht1211
    ht1211 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOL! That's why I have so much hesitation switching my diet to all organic.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not calorie-wise. If you eat at a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. In theory, of course, somebody could lose weight living entirely on Twinkies. But for a lot of people, eating organic or more organic comes with a generally raised level of awareness about health, and paying more attention in general can translate into weight loss. Maybe that's what's going on with your friend.

If the issue is the wallet -- there's a reason Whole Foods is called Whole Paycheck, LOL -- there are online searches that can tell you which foods are most useful to buy organic. Here's a quick run-down from the Environmental Working Group.

* Foods with most pesticide residue (presumably in the US but probably holds true across the board):

apples, strawberries, grapes, celery, peaches, spinach, sweet bell peppers, imported nectarines, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, imported snap peas and potatoes

* Least pesticide residue:

avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, cabbage, frozen sweet peas, onions, asparagus, mangoes, papayas, kiwis, eggplant, grapefruit, cantaloupe, cauliflower and sweet potatoes.

I don't live in a "developed country," and the level of pesticide residue in many of our veggies and fruits is horrifying. Controls are presumably a lot better in the US (and particularly in Europe), but still, I'm not convinced that all the stuff flying from the major agricultural producers in the third world to where most of you all live is always 100 percent at the level it's supposed to be at.

FWIW, the foods here that test with less pesticides are the ones grown in-season. Just FYI.

But calorie for calorie, it's the same. Extra pesticides won't give you any extra calories :smile:

• ht1211
    ht1211 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not calorie-wise. If you eat at a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. In theory, of course, somebody could lose weight living entirely on Twinkies. But for a lot of people, eating organic or more organic comes with a generally raised level of awareness about health, and paying more attention in general can translate into weight loss. Maybe that's what's going on with your friend.

If the issue is the wallet -- there's a reason Whole Foods is called Whole Paycheck, LOL -- there are online searches that can tell you which foods are most useful to buy organic. Here's a quick run-down from the Environmental Working Group.

* Foods with most pesticide residue (presumably in the US but probably holds true across the board):

apples, strawberries, grapes, celery, peaches, spinach, sweet bell peppers, imported nectarines, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, imported snap peas and potatoes

* Least pesticide residue:

avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, cabbage, frozen sweet peas, onions, asparagus, mangoes, papayas, kiwis, eggplant, grapefruit, cantaloupe, cauliflower and sweet potatoes.

I don't live in a "developed country," and the level of pesticide residue in many of our veggies and fruits is horrifying. Controls are presumably a lot better in the US (and particularly in Europe), but still, I'm not convinced that all the stuff flying from the major agricultural producers in the third world to where most of you all live is always 100 percent at the level it's supposed to be at.

FWIW, the foods here that test with less pesticides are the ones grown in-season. Just FYI.

But calorie for calorie, it's the same. Extra pesticides won't give you any extra calories :smile:

Thanks! This is really helpful.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Eating organic makes me feel better and when I feel good I do better things for myself. So in that respect it helps me loose weight. If you know how to shop organic, it's not too expensive. I feed my family of 4 organic food for approx. $400 a month. Kroger has a lot more options for affordable organic choices. Before that I was spending 600+ a month at Whole Foods.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    placebo effect of stuff like this is huge. but no. no benes from organic apart from conscience.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    hh3sxcqfxahv.jpg

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I buy organic cheesecake at my natural foods store. But I haven't lost any weight. Help?
  • janyben
    janyben Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's not about eating organic to lose more weight... it's the fact that you are eating foods without any pesticides and preservatives in/on it. In other words, you're putting less chemicals in your body when you only eat organic foods. So, while eating organic foods over non-organic foods won't make you lose more weight, it will make you healthier because you won't be putting as much chemicals in your body. And with less chemicals, yes it can do things like make your skin clearer, your hair and nails stronger, etc... You'll be healthier - but not necessarily skinnier!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    nope
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Eating less and moving more is the only formula for losing weight.