wanting to build

I am 44 (today!!) female, I weigh 150 lbs and I am trying to lose weight, but more than that, I am interested in lifting weights. I <3 LOVE <3 it :smile: I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything special, a program perhaps? I belong to a gym, I go 4-5 days a week. Currently, I do "machine weights" arms on Mondays & Thursdays, legs on Tuesdays & Fridays and sometimes a cardio-only day on Wednesdays. (rest Sat & Sun) I have been going to the gym for 3 years and honestly, I do not feel like I have made much progress. I did have 3 months that I didn't go because I had surgery, but that was a while ago, and I'm faithful now. I want to have definition in my arms, shoulders, back; my legs are actually pretty good, I am happy with my calves, etc. so not really "worried" about that aspect.

I do 4 sets of 5 reps each exercise as heavy as I can. I do a push exercise, then a pull. (so example would be bicep curl 5 reps, then directly into tricep extension 5 reps, then back to the curl, etc. until I have done 4 sets each; then I move into a different set of 2 "opposite" exercises.) hope that makes sense ;)

If anyone has suggestions for "routines" or programs, I would appreciate it. TFS

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Well, you say you've lifted for 3 years which should put you solidly into the intermediate or even advanced lifter category BUT I didn't see any numbers lifted for the major lifts so I can't be sure. Have you done any programs in the past? If not, why not just start with any beginner program that looks good? New Rules Of Lifting, Strong Curves, Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Icecream Fitness, Candito's Beginner program, you name it.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited November 2014
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Well, you say you've lifted for 3 years which should put you solidly into the intermediate or even advanced lifter category BUT I didn't see any numbers lifted for the major lifts so I can't be sure. Have you done any programs in the past? If not, why not just start with any beginner program that looks good? New Rules Of Lifting, Strong Curves, Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Icecream Fitness, Candito's Beginner program, you name it.

oh, i am sure i "should" be advanced but i'm not sure! LOL i don't have my notebook in front of me so not sure on how much i'm lifting, but it's not much. i do recall that i do 130 on the lat pulldown.

i have never done a program. i only go and do whatever i feel like. it's only recently that i even started doing the 5X4 and writing down my weights, reps, sets, etc. thanks for the suggestions. i will definitely look into all those! :smiley:

**Edited to change weight, i typed it wrong :wink:

• TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member

^^^^^ This and stay away from the machines. Free weights are your friend! Sumo's, deadlifts, squats, bench press, shoulder presses, arnold presses, walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, hip thrusts.....the list goes on.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member

oh, i am sure i "should" be advanced but i'm not sure! LOL i don't have my notebook in front of me so not sure on how much i'm lifting, but it's not much. i do recall that i do 130 on the lat pulldown.

i have never done a program. i only go and do whatever i feel like. it's only recently that i even started doing the 5X4 and writing down my weights, reps, sets, etc. thanks for the suggestions. i will definitely look into all those! :smiley:

**Edited to change weight, i typed it wrong :wink:

Good on your 130 lat pull
  • emkohler77
    emkohler77 Posts: 34 Member
    Yeah, it sounds like it's time to leave what you're doing behind and get some sessions with a trainer to start lifting dumbbells and barbells. Bodyweight exercises are also great if done with good form. Good luck!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    emkohler77 wrote: »
    Yeah, it sounds like it's time to leave what you're doing behind and get some sessions with a trainer to start lifting dumbbells and barbells. Bodyweight exercises are also great if done with good form. Good luck!

thank you - i will start thursday! (still sore from yesterday's arms! LOL)
    i appreciate everyone's input. i have a training session from my gym that i haven't used yet, so it might be time to put that into action and change things up. :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    emkohler77 wrote: »

thank you - i will start thursday! (still sore from yesterday's arms! LOL)
    i appreciate everyone's input. i have a training session from my gym that i haven't used yet, so it might be time to put that into action and change things up. :smile:

Yeah! Just let them know you're interested in lifting heavier and getting off the machines. They're probably going to do some fitness testing anyway, but they should at least have it in mind. Sometimes you get a second free too, where you really do a workout.