Cardio or Weight Training: Which is better for extreme weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly recommend finding good strength training workouts. In the past I would camp out on cardio machines and go for over an hour a session. After a while of that and no results I signed up with a trainer. This lady has had me doing weights and squats and lunges and assisted pull ups...After only a month I'm seeing and feeling muscles I haven't seen in a long time. Good luck to you and congrats on your success thus far!

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    cardio will give you higher burns and create a bigger net calorie deficit,with diet.
    you will lose muscle as well as fat.
    strength/ weight training needs to play a part too, to reduce muscle loss and further down the road to body shape,as oft stated already.
    combine both .
    i lost 40lbs in 3 months from 2+ hours daily cardio,so have learned the hard way from depleted strength/ performance that i needed to incorporate strength/ core training too.
    i now split 50-50.
    great job on losses so far,good luck in losing the rest.

um...just no
    You can do better than that. Do tell.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Cardio.

But both are good for you. :) The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting around. So, lifting doesn't just help you burn while you do it, in a roundabout way, it will allow you to keep burning more every day. If you keep the muscle you have now, you won't have to worry about adding any when you're done!

But if you're just out to just lose as much weight as you can, just as fast as you can, and don't care about composition as much - Cardio.

FIFY
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cardio will give you higher burns and create a bigger net calorie deficit,with diet.
    strength/ weight training needs to play a part too, to reduce muscle loss and further down the road to body shape,as oft stated already.
    combine both .
    i lost 40lbs in 3 months from 2+ hours daily cardio,so have learned the hard way from depleted strength/ performance that i needed to incorporate strength/ core training too.
    i now split 50-50.

um...just no

Yes, please do....
  • Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Anything that increases your heart rate. Cardio will burn fat until you are done working out (or for a while after). HIIT cardio is different. Weight training will keep burning fat 8 hrs after your workout, so I have heard. I highly suggest you do both. Cardio then weights and then more cardio after.
    Cardio doesn't burn fat. It burns calories. Any physical activity will burn calories, some more than others. The calorie burns help to create a deficit..........some higher than others, but over all fat loss comes from CICO and REST. One burns more calories sleeping for 8 hours than doing 1.5-2 hours of cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Sorry what is CICO?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    adcls3 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Anything that increases your heart rate. Cardio will burn fat until you are done working out (or for a while after). HIIT cardio is different. Weight training will keep burning fat 8 hrs after your workout, so I have heard. I highly suggest you do both. Cardio then weights and then more cardio after.
    Cardio doesn't burn fat. It burns calories. Any physical activity will burn calories, some more than others. The calorie burns help to create a deficit..........some higher than others, but over all fat loss comes from CICO and REST. One burns more calories sleeping for 8 hours than doing 1.5-2 hours of cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Sorry what is CICO?

calories in calories out
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I am in the process of losing a lot of weight. This far, I have lost 65 pounds. I would still like to lose another 70 pounds.

I have my diet down pretty well. I count all my calories, know which foods work well with my body, and don't eat any junk.

I hear both sides of the argument and don't really know which is best. I probably 3/4 of my current total by merely changing diet. I am to a point where the rate at which I am losing is slow enough that I know I need to change my workout priority.

Based on multiple calculators, my BMR range from 2000 on the MFP app, to 2750 on others.

Any information and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Exercise is not necessary to lose weight, as I'm sure you already know. All that is required is a calorie deficit.

However, if you choose to exercise, I suggest your find something you like to do. I heavy weight lift as well as run and do other cardio because I simply love to do them.

In my opinion, heavy weight lifting is one exercise worth doing at any stage of weight loss.

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    combine both .
    i now split 50-50.

um...just no

indeed.feel free to educate us all please.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    combine both .
    i now split 50-50.

um...just no

The real answer is that combining resistance-training and cardio, be it aerobic or anaerobic, will yield that best results in-conjunction with an appropriate nutrition plan that supports weight-loss.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    combine both .
    i now split 50-50.

um...just no

The real answer is that combining resistance-training and cardio, be it aerobic or anaerobic, will yield that best results in-conjunction with an appropriate nutrition plan that supports weight-loss.

which is exactly what i advised.
    maybe you skip read thread,
    question was querying losing fat didnt also lose muscle as highlighted by bm livelaughlov....
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    combine both .
    i now split 50-50.

um...just no

which is exactly what i advised.
    maybe you skip read thread,
    question was querying losing fat didnt also lose muscle as highlighted by bm livelaughlov....

Well at least you know what you did wrong.

• shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dumb question..my legs get a heck of a workout on the treadmill..you mean I'd have to do weight training too, to maintain my leg muscles? Plus I eat some protein after a workout, if that helps. I live in Podunk, Maine with no access to a trainer so the weight machines are kind of intimidating but I have been trying (for my arms).

baf34yil8943.png