Eating enough

Options
Hi!
I was wondering how the calorie intake system works. My calorie intake is about 1600 and when I run,
I run 500 of them off, which means my calorie intake goes to 2100
Does it mean that I should eat 2100 calories now ? I'm actually confused how many calories I should eat, cause I don't want to eat the calories back after a run, but I want to make sure that I also eat enough so my body still will function.

Replies

• karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    You need to provide your stats so people can help you :)

Goal weight
    Do you workout? If so, what kind and how many times a week for how long each time?
    What are your goals? (lose weight / build muscle / maintain weight, etc.)

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    1600 calories is a great calorie limit for a woman. Stick with that and do not eat back your exercise calories and you will start losing at a healthy rate. So just eat the 1600 per day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Go to one of the calorie calculators to see what your maintenance calories or use MFP.
    Decide how much you want to lose per week. The more you wnat to lose per week the less calories you get to eat.

Dont go below 1200. Safe weight loss is .5-2lb a week.

The deficit is the difference between your maintenance and what your target calories are assuming that is a lesser number. For instance if your maint cals were 2100 and you decided on 1600 then that would be 500 calories a day you are foregoing, which equates to 3500 a week, which = 1lb of theoretical weight loss.

The exercise calories work on the same basis. You can eat them all back if you want to or choose to eat back none or some. the first point to note is that you need to be sure the number you have for calories burned is accurate. MFP estimates are often overstated as do machines and people often overstate the effort they are putting in. A HRM might give you a better estimate if set up properly but they are only estimates.

This is why some people who choose to eat back eat a % to take into account any overestimations.

My approach is to eat back if I feel hungry and not to eat back if Im not. Its your choice and there is no hard and fast rule. 1600 is a nice number which id feel happy you had the chance of getting enough nutrition from.
  • JulieeeeJ
    Options
    1600 calories is a great calorie limit for a woman. Stick with that and do not eat back your exercise calories and you will start losing at a healthy rate. So just eat the 1600 per day.

Thank you! But why does MFP suggest me to eat more when I burn them off ?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    JulieeeeJ wrote: »

You initially gave it an activity level and a desired weight loss rate, from which it calculated your food intake without exercise. On days you exercise MFP increases your food allowance in order to maintain the original rate of loss.

It's like a reward driven hamster wheel. Do exercise, log it, get more food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

how can you possibly say that when you know NOTHING about the OP!?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Because the advice you are quoting is terrible...
  • JulieeeeJ
    Options

OP?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

OP?

OP = Original Poster = you @JulieeeeJ
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    wow- this got out of hand fast :\
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

You initially gave it an activity level and a desired weight loss rate, from which it calculated your food intake without exercise. On days you exercise MFP increases your food allowance in order to maintain the original rate of loss.

It's like a reward driven hamster wheel. Do exercise, log it, get more food.

Or an actual hamster wheel, If that's what you use for exercise. Which would be pretty cool

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    wow- this got out of hand fast :\

how is this "out of hand" AT ALL? ONE person offered advice based on absolutely zero information and was scolded... if you think that's "out of hand" then I'm not sure the forums going to be your cup of tea
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I was going to ask the same thing. Must have a crystal ball of nutrition and health.

Also I love when people say "Burn the calories off" We don't eat calories we eat nutrients. Sure calories are important as well as hormonal balance and stress (more important?).
    My wristwatch for instance is 35,000 calories when placed in a bomb calorimeter. So if I eat it today, will I gain 10-11lbs of fat tomorrow?
  • yourpalsoap
    Options

yeh, also, if you're eating 1600 calories and then burning off 500 that takes your intake down to 1100 - which isn't great. It's not a problem if it's a one-off but if you do 500-calorie runs multiple times a week without fuelling your body enough, you're probably going to get tired and give up. whether you eat back ALL of your exercise calories, half of them, etc is up to you ... but I wouldn't recommend taking in 1100 calories a day all of the time.
  • JulieeeeJ
    Options

yeh, also, if you're eating 1600 calories and then burning off 500 that takes your intake down to 1100 - which isn't great. It's not a problem if it's a one-off but if you do 500-calorie runs multiple times a week without fuelling your body enough, you're probably going to get tired and give up. whether you eat back ALL of your exercise calories, half of them, etc is up to you ... but I wouldn't recommend taking in 1100 calories a day all of the time.

Thank you!! This was exactly what I was searching for. So if my daily calorie intake is 1600 , that means on a day when I burn off 500, I will eat 2100 so I get the 1600 calories?
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Thank you!! This was exactly what I was searching for. So if my daily calorie intake is 1600 , that means on a day when I burn off 500, I will eat 2100 so I get the 1600 calories?

Yes. As long as in your original settings, you chose your activity level before working out. For example, I workout every day, but I put my activity level to sedentary because my daily activities are quite sedentary (Stay at home mom). MFP calculated my calorie allowance based on that. Then when I workout and log it, I have to eat a bit more to hit my calorie allowance because my workout burned calories and puts me under my allowance. If you included your workouts in your activity level to begin with, your calorie allowance already took it into account and you should not treat your burn as new calories to use.

You'll find that some people will tell you to eat the calories back, some will tell you not to. What I try to do is to eat only a part of them back, mainly because exercise calories are never accurate and I don't want to overeat but I don't want my net calorie intake to be under 1200 calories (my allowance is 1400)
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This is a good point.

I'm currently doing a cut while maintain cardio. Trying to lose some of what I gained while training for a marathon. I'm lifting three days a week and doing cardio 3/4 days a week. For me, I want to maintain strength in the gym (continue to lift a the weight I was doing before being on a calorie defect). While eating at a defect (-500 cals/week) and running 3/4 times (~-2,000 calories on light run weeks) will help change the scale numbers quicker I plan on eating back calories from cardio to help maintain strength and keep toning. At least, this is the majority of what I've read affirms.

After long runs (8 miles tends to burn 1400 for me) I tend to not want to eat another set of meals. This where peanut butter, nuts, oats, cheese, (and for some) avocados help. I'll also add an extra half serving to things. 1.5 servings of pasta/sauce/cheese/chicken to make up for it.

I also like using my blender for smoothies. Banana/nut butter/milk/and a protein source like chia or hemp seeds are an easy way to make up for calories.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So with the amount of advice being given, some by average Joes/Jane's, others by students of nutrition/kinesiology, OP goes for the "advice she's looking for."

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Yes
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So with the amount of advice being given, some by average Joes/Jane's, others by students of nutrition/kinesiology, OP goes for the "advice she's looking for."

stop acting like you're surprised by that!

:smiley: