Running twice in one day

Options
I am very out of shape, but I used to be a good runner. With that in mind, I've been focusing on running faster rather than longer, but as a result, I tend to do mostly mile runs. I'm also looking to lose a lot of weight, and I know that running short distances doesn't do me a lot of good for weight loss. Would it be beneficial to run twice per day? I'm thinking once before class around 6 or 7 and again after class between 3 and 5, so almost 12 hours in between runs.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For weight loss I'd recommend getting the distance in, rather than short runs.

If you were talking about more than a mile at a time then there's no reason not to run two, mile long runs. That's only 15-20 minutes at a time.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run completely getting in as many miles as you can either by running/walking/jogging or and combination even if split throughout the day will be beneficial. I fit in as many miles as I could in my free time. Good Luck

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you haven't run in a long time, you should start out with just one run a day until you build up enough stamina. You could get hurt by running twice a day when you body isn't used to it. Get in better shape before jump into twice a day.

Go to Runner's World. They have some articles about running twice a day.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's a mile, that's barely a warm up...
  • RedandBlueRunner
    Options
    You have given little clues as to whether this is the only cardio work you do. I did take a peak at your profile, you are not heavy and very young. My advice is before worrying about your speed and running twice a day. I would work on getting the duration of your runs up to 30-40 minutes. Good luck with your running, running twice a day, two 30 minute sessions is easier on your body than one of 60 minutes.