Abs - boooooo

Options
I don't like doing abs. I just don't. My older brother and I have had this conversation over and over, and neither of us like doing them. But, at the same time, they should get worked just like any other muscle in your body you're looking to build up and strengthen.

So where can I fit them in my day? How often and which workouts should I do? I hit the gym on lunch each day doing either weights or cardio. I'm currently cutting BF, so I'm maintaining a deficit in calories and doing some general lifting to maintain muscle mass as I cut the fat. I'm not a morning workout person, and when I get home I've got pregnant wife and a 2 year to have fun with. It's tough to get it in then.

So I was thinking about what time of the day that I am literally doing "nothing". Each night after my son goes to bed, the wife and I usually hang out on the couch laying with each other just watching some TV....until she eventually passes out shortly after cause of pregnant tiredness.

I'm wondering....who else does something similar to this? Your day has wound down, and now you're relaxing on the couch with not a whole lot going on. Do you also wish you could fit abs in, but don't really like to? Well then you should add me!! I need a reminder and kick in the *kitten* to get off that couch at night when nothing is going on and do 10-15 minutes of abs workouts.

Sort of sounds like a support group huh?

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I hate it too.
    Try Pilates. It is all body but focuses a lot on the core.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You know that every full body move in the weight room works your abs right? You know that you dont have to work them out isolated right? You know that if you do too much isolated work on your abs, on top of everything else you're already doing in the weight room, you might be overworking them a little.

i dont know though, i dont know wha tyou mean by working your abs. It might be a 3000 crunch weekend like i used to do.

all that did was make my stomach muscles bigger and wider instead of lowering my bf% and exposing my waist line - which is what i really wanted. but that is my own personal experience and not a guideline for others.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You don't need to work abs every day. That would be like working chest every day.

The big compound moves (squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups) all work your abs pretty well especially if you make sure to engage your core.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    front squats
    hanging leg raises

boom- abs done.
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A few responses. I know doing ab workouts doesn't lower bf% (not sure where that is in my post) and I wasn't intending or explaining I wanted to do them everyday either. I understand compound lifts engage your core, but I'd like to do some isolated workouts on them also.

I posted asking about others that didn't like doing ab workouts and had a similar late night routine that might want to motivate each other. I understand this is a public forum, but how about we get some posts actually related to this question instead of unrelated unwanted advice that doesn't relate to the topic?

mseel, not a huge fan of Pilates but thanks for the recommendation!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    geebus

planks
    push ups
    push up/up downs
    side plank twists
    mountain climbers
    spiders
    weight drags
    leg raise on the floor (back flat on the floor- raise legs up to 90* then down to 6")
    just holding 6" off the ground
    hello dolly's
    steam engines
    iron cross
    pikes

as for where to fit them in to your day? we aren't you- we don't know you're day- we don't know where you can fit ab work in- that's on you buddy.
  • rgauthier20420
    Options
    Jo, thanks for some recommended moves. You posted as a was typing a response so. A few on the list I've never heard of, but I'll take a look.

As for the time, I'll be looking to throw in a few moves at night when everything has quieted down after the day. Again, sort of looking for other that might have a similar situation/schedule and looking fit some in to help for motivation.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A few responses. I know doing ab workouts doesn't lower bf% (not sure where that is in my post) and I wasn't intending or explaining I wanted to do them everyday either. I understand compound lifts engage your core, but I'd like to do some isolated workouts on them also.

I posted asking about others that didn't like doing ab workouts and had a similar late night routine that might want to motivate each other. I understand this is a public forum, but how about we get some posts actually related to this question instead of unrelated unwanted advice that doesn't relate to the topic?

It's an open forum, so we are adding our opinions that are actually related to the thread.

We don't like working abs, so we make sure they are well engaged doing other activities we already do. That means we don't have to force ourselves into 10 minutes of abs a night. Maybe you can search the groups or start your own for support. That way you can dictate the answers you get and delete other advice that you don't like. Either way our advice still stands as helpful advice, whether it is what you wanted or not.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Well, you did actually ask which exercises you should do in the OP and when you can fit them into your day and how you are crunched for time. Since a bunch of accessory core work is completely unnecessary, of course some of the answers are gonna be not to do them. Saves you time, and solves the problem.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Sorry I veered so far off-topic. I hope you get the bulk you are aiming for!
  • rgauthier20420
    Options
    I can't see that doing zero isolated ab work is a good thing. Sure the core/abs get a workout doing the major lifts that have been mentioned, but I'd can't see that doing isolated ab exercises a couple times a week wouldn't benefit. As it is, other smaller muscles getted worked out during the major lifts, and we still do isolated lifts on those muscles (i.e. biceps and such).

usm, you're right. I don't care to limit the responses. However, being told that amuscle doesn't need to be worked because it get's indirectly worked by doing other lifts is stupid (in my mind), and I don't plan on heading that advice :smiley:
  • yoovie
    Options
    Well, USMCMP would know better than most, with all the records she holds.
  • rgauthier20420
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Sorry I veered so far off-topic. I hope you get the bulk you are aiming for!

No problem at all! I'm currently cutting right now and down to 17% per my gyms measurement device. Looking to get close to 10% if possible and then begin a bulk regimen. Hoping to get to try 5x5 if my knees can handle it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I can't see that doing zero isolated ab work is a good thing. Sure the core/abs get a workout doing the major lifts that have been mentioned, but I'd can't see that doing isolated ab exercises a couple times a week wouldn't benefit. As it is, other smaller muscles getted worked out during the major lifts, and we still do isolated lifts on those muscles (i.e. biceps and such).

usm, you're right. I don't care to limit the responses. However, being told that amuscle doesn't need to be worked because it get's indirectly worked by doing other lifts is stupid (in my mind), and I don't plan on heading that advice :smiley:

You made it sound like you were going to do accessory work every day or close to it in the OP. Of course, a little accessory work isn't a bad thing, but why not just fit 5-10 minutes in at the gym at lunch a couple times per week while you rest on another exercise or something like that?

• yoovie
    Options
    yeah - accessory work is great, I thought you were going to the gym to 'do abs' for an hour O_O
  • rgauthier20420
    Options
    I am doing mostly accessory work during lunch breaks, but I've only got 30 minutes to workout on lunch, and it's spent on whatever the workout is that day. I'm crunched for time on lunch and that's sort of why I'm looking at just slipping 5-10 minutes of a few ab moves a couple times a week at night.
  • rgauthier20420
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    yeah - accessory work is great, I thought you were going to the gym to 'do abs' for an hour O_O

Haha no :smile: