Vegan weight loss - 80/10/10 vs High Fat Vegan lifestyle

Options
Hi All :)

I have recently adapted a vegan lifestyle but am very confused by the differing vegan "weighs" of eating (hehe sorry couldn't resist the pun)! After packing on a whopping 15kg last year I was drawn to the vegan weigh of life because it really makes sense to me. I was wandering which vegan way of eating is best for weight loss and how many calories one can consume as a vegan? Is it 1200 like standard weight loss diets? Is it better to be a high carb vegan focusing on fruit and veg and not including olive oil, nuts, avocados etc?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The best way is the way that works for you. What ratio you eat makes no difference to your weightloss what matters is the calorie deficit. The amount of calories you can eat as a Vegan will be the same as you could of eating animal products. Eating as a Vegan is no magic way to lose weight. I am a long term Vegan (for ethical Reasons) I got fat being a Vegan. You can have un healthy Vegan diets the same as you can have Healthy diets with Animal products.

Type your numbers into MFP that'll give you the Calorie amount eat some of your exercise calories back and you'll lose weight. Aim to have a proportion of wholeffoods but don't exclude things you like. You want to be able to eat like this for the rest of your life so excluding stuff will just make you want it more. Anything in moderation is the best advice.
  • kpolninja
    kpolninja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Finding what works for you is the best way - but I will say what works for me (the only thing) is following the ideas of caloric density from Jeff Novic. You can look him up on youtube.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    The best way is the way that works for you. What ratio you eat makes no difference to your weightloss what matters is the calorie deficit. The amount of calories you can eat as a Vegan will be the same as you could of eating animal products. Eating as a Vegan is no magic way to lose weight. I am a long term Vegan (for ethical Reasons) I got fat being a Vegan. You can have un healthy Vegan diets the same as you can have Healthy diets with Animal products.

Type your numbers into MFP that'll give you the Calorie amount eat some of your exercise calories back and you'll lose weight. Aim to have a proportion of wholeffoods but don't exclude things you like. You want to be able to eat like this for the rest of your life so excluding stuff will just make you want it more. Anything in moderation is the best advice.

So much this.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes your body feel best. Some people thrive on high carb, others on low carb. I always recommend more than 1200 calories on ANY diet, but on a vegan diet your calorie needs will be the same as on an omnivore diet. I just stopped being vegan after 8 months, but I still love the lifestyle and respect all those who do it. Just make sure you're getting all of your calcium, B12, and omega fatty acid requirements! Those were the most difficult for me.