Hunger after workout

Options
Why is it that when I am finished working out I am starving? Can someone help me out?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that. Wasn't actually hungry, just was thinking I was hungry.

It's a great method to put weight on, if you don't have it under control. If your eating is on point, then you know what the score is.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're exercising on an empty stomach, or your workout sessions are too long? Maybe you're not eating enough during the day?
  • chereedoggett
    chereedoggett Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes Cherimoose, I think you are right. I will pay attention to my pre workout meals. Thanks to both of you
  • Tourn85
    Tourn85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of chocolate milk
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Tourn85 wrote: »
    Drink a glass of chocolate milk

chocolate milk is a time honored tool for lifters who are in a bulk cycle.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    I use proteins shake before and after in few words strength and recovery!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am finding that if I have some protein before I workout, I can control it after. Otherwise, I will eat what I just burned off.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    People tend to mistake thirst for hunger. Try drinking some more water after your workout and see if that helps. I work out first thing in the morning with just a cup of coffee in my system and don't get very hungry because I make sure to drink enough water afterward. My workout consists of a 4-5 mile run.
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you eat a slower digesting carb pre-workout that should help with your post workout hunger! You're body probably is just looking for extra fuel to burn giving you a "hungry" feeling.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Eat a big pile of nonstarchy vegetables after your work out! :D
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I find it depends, very much, on the type of workout I'm doing. It's worst if it's a new type of exercise for me, or a very intense exercise. Drink some water after, and a protein shake might help.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    TNFirefly wrote: »
    I am finding that if I have some protein before I workout, I can control it after. Otherwise, I will eat what I just burned off.

If you have your calories set up here for xx lbs per week, then it's totally fine to eat what you just exercised off. I don't get particularly hungry after a workout anymore. A good time to stuff your face with micronutrient rich veggies though. The calorie per volume is really low.