Anyone out there deal with SAD?

Options
Seems like I'm already slowing down and feeling extra weepy and craving carbs. Do any of you deal with Seasonal Affective Disorder? How do you cope? Do you have enough energy to exercise? Do you spend time outside every day? Just wondering what works for others. I have been diagnosed with SAD the last 2 winters, and pretty sure it's affecting me again!

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Yes. I live in Vancouver. Nuff said :smile:
    Things that help me:
    -my alarm clock. I have the Phillips one that wakes you up with light gradually increasing in brightness and birds tweeting. Much more natural and less jarring.
    -exercise. I force myself to exercise at least 3 times a week, even if it's just walking.
    -if I get really bad, I use a blue light for just a few moments a day.
    -also if I get really bad, I tan. Yes I know it's horrible but it helps my mood x1,000
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Yes. I live in Vancouver. Nuff said :smile:
    Things that help me:
    -my alarm clock. I have the Phillips one that wakes you up with light gradually increasing in brightness and birds tweeting. Much more natural and less jarring.
    -exercise. I force myself to exercise at least 3 times a week, even if it's just walking.
    -if I get really bad, I use a blue light for just a few moments a day.
    -also if I get really bad, I tan. Yes I know it's horrible but it helps my mood x1,000

all of this. though the alarm clock light I got never worked. I think a lot of Canucks battle this as there is so little daylight here. Take your vitamin D and know that we are here for you :) Spring is coming!!!
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    Thanks Binky! That's exactly the type of tips I'm looking for! I used to live in the sunny south, and ever since I moved north, my body rebels against the winter! That alarm sounds cool! I'll have to check into getting one!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Ah yes, forgot about the vitamin D. I'm terrible at remembering to take it.
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    Thanks, yoyo! I did get my vitamin D out the other day, so I'm taking it. Hoping it makes me feel sunny again!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yep. Northern New England. Though it got to me even Virginia!

I do use a full spectrum light, try to take a walk on sunny days no matter how confounded cold, and get plenty of exercise.
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    Hi, Noel, I have been reading about light therapy, but don't know anyone who uses it! Sounds like you like it?!
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* sufferer here, currently struggling. I do get outside every morning, because we sold my car and I walk to the bus. Being in the Pacific NW doesn't help, and now that to and from work end up mostly dark, I'm making it a point to get outside on my work breaks to get some natural light. I have a lamp on my desk, but it's not a light therapy lamp, as I'm broker than broke. Thank you for this thread, I completely forgot about Vitamin D, and need to start that up again.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I bought a Lumie Clock, which is a dawn simulator, and this has made the most difference to my SAD, as of yet, it's not kicked in for this year - which feels like a minor miracle.

I've used a light box for years and I advocate eating well and making sure I get out into the daylight at some point in the day (lunchtime walks are great) but so far nothing has had an impact like that clock. It's a life changer.
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    rageginger wrote: »
    *raises hand* sufferer here, currently struggling. I do get outside every morning, because we sold my car and I walk to the bus. Being in the Pacific NW doesn't help, and now that to and from work end up mostly dark, I'm making it a point to get outside on my work breaks to get some natural light. I have a lamp on my desk, but it's not a light therapy lamp, as I'm broker than broke. Thank you for this thread, I completely forgot about Vitamin D, and need to start that up again.

I think I will have to join you in the outdoor walks. I have read that time outside within 2 hours of waking helps. (If its light that early, I suppose) I thought I might try to get out there as soon as it's light enough, if I can get the energy mustered up!
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    I bought a Lumie Clock, which is a dawn simulator, and this has made the most difference to my SAD, as of yet, it's not kicked in for this year - which feels like a minor miracle.

I've used a light box for years and I advocate eating well and making sure I get out into the daylight at some point in the day (lunchtime walks are great) but so far nothing has had an impact like that clock. It's a life changer.

Hey, thanks! That sounds like a great idea!
  • webtracer
    webtracer Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm from the South, living in the PNW.

I've never been diagnosed with SAD, but I TOTALLY understand it (after years of not). I get outside as often as I can. At work I walk on my breaks and my lunch.

And, on the rare sunny day, when it's icy out, and the sun doesn't actually warm you - I strip down as far as I can at work (shirtsleeves basically), expose as much skin as I can, spread my arms and soak in as much of that Vitamin D as possible.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hi, Noel, I have been reading about light therapy, but don't know anyone who uses it! Sounds like you like it?!

I do. I have a Happy Light for my desk at work. It's in a windowless cube, so badly needed year round, really. (Does wonders for my plants as well)

I use full-spectrum bulbs in all my lights at home, and am very careful to make sure to open the drapes during the daytime. I'm even considering dawn simulator, but I wake up naturally before the alarm even when it is dark.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Remember your d-drops! Buy a light if you have to, and if you can manage it- go for a walk everyday at lunch throughout the winter. You would be amazed at how just getting fresh air for a few minutes while the sun is still out can help, even on cloudy days.

Mostly I know its coming and I plan for it. This winter I am considering taking a painting course or joining something else community related so I am not cooped up in my house every night. I also tend to do more movie nights or girls nights in the winter time. This year I am in a cube along the office windows so I am hoping that makes a difference.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have just regular old depression, but maybe my tips will help? I do Vitamin D every single day (typically takes me a month to feel a difference), I work out at least every other day, I shoot for 8 hrs of sleep each night, and I try to incorporate hot yoga (or even heated restorative yoga) it makes me feel better down to my bones to be so warm. I try to plan really healthy meals and cook in bulk, so I have good, warm stuff readily available when I'm tired or down.
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! These are great ideas and helps!

Last winter was really really crumby for me. And I'm willing to do a lot to try to ensure that I don't go thru that again! I could hardly even get out of bed in the morning, and even when i did, I could not really function normally. However, towards the end of winter, I did find out that I also was dealing with iron deficiency anemia. I have been taking iron supplements ever since. But I still want to try to be the problems with SAD, for sure since I feel like I can tell it is starting to affect me already!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Seems like I'm already slowing down and feeling extra weepy and craving carbs. Do any of you deal with Seasonal Affective Disorder? How do you cope? Do you have enough energy to exercise? Do you spend time outside every day? Just wondering what works for others. I have been diagnosed with SAD the last 2 winters, and pretty sure it's affecting me again!

My son. We moved to Arizona as a result. Montana has the highest suicide rates among teens in the nation. We tied the light box, extra D3 with vitamin A. Nothing helped. Now, he's a happy camper. It was worth the move. Some people function better in different climates.
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »

My son. We moved to Arizona as a result. Montana has the highest suicide rates among teens in the nation. We tied the light box, extra D3 with vitamin A. Nothing helped. Now, he's a happy camper. It was worth the move. Some people function better in different climates.

Good for you and your son!! :).

My hubby likes MN really well, but knowing that my family is still enjoying sunny 70 degree weather in LA is really hard on me. For sure on a cold, cloudy, drizzly day like we are experiencing!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »

Good for you and your son!! :).

My hubby likes MN really well, but knowing that my family is still enjoying sunny 70 degree weather in LA is really hard on me. For sure on a cold, cloudy, drizzly day like we are experiencing!

I sure miss being up north, but we visit when we can. There's snow in Flag, too. I hope you find something that works.
  • warriorguy
    Options
    Make sure vitamin supplements are what you need....like E, B12, B6, B1, folic acid, Hawthorn Berry, and ask doctor if hormone therapy is needed.