43 lbs lost in 3 weeks

Options
rcookenc
rcookenc Posts: 31
edited November 2014 in Success Stories
Hello everyone, my name is Roger, I am a 47 y/o male from North Carolina and I weighed 547 lbs (bmi=74.2) at my first bariatric clinic appt. 4 weeks ago. They wont allow surgery on anyone over a bmi of 70, so I have to lose about 50 lbs to qualify. I have another appt. with them for a nutrition evaluation on Monday the 10th, but I didn't want to wait for that-so I started a diet plan myself to get a head start. All the online charts and calorie counters say to maintain my weight of 547, that I was eating around 4800 calories a day. So I checked and saw that I should be eating 1500 a day if I was at normal weight, so I set my goal at 1500 calories a day. By reading from some literature I got from the bariatric clinic and online sites, I noticed that PROTEIN was very important. So I set out to eat between 80-100 grams of protein a day, while keeping under 1500 calories a day, and watching my fat and sugar intake too. Well yesterday I went to my regular doctor and when I weighed in I was astonished. I have only been on my diet for a full 3 weeks and just started my 4th week. I knew I had lost some, I was expecting around 10-15 lbs.... I lost 43 lbs!!!!!!! I am so excited and pumped up :smiley: Also, my bmi is now under the 70 mark :smiley: I do think tho, that I am not gonna have the surgery right away. The more weight I can lose before it, the better. And who knows, I may not even need to have surgery if I can keep losing the weight myself. Guess I just needed a little motivation. And if I do get to a point where I stop losing it myself, then I can still go ahead with the surgery then at that time. Oh, one other thing-I feel that using the daily food log on myfitnesspal was very helpful for me. I love that you can just search for the foods you eat and it has all the numbers for you. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say Hello to everyone. Thought I would share a bit of good news on my progress. Hopefully I will sharing a lot more success. If anyone wants to ask me anything or wants to know more about my diet plan, just ask.

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    When I saw the title of this thread my instant reaction was to call BS. Glad I clicked and read :smile: Great job! Can you imagine if you can do this all yourself and not even need the surgery?
    Please check back, I'd be really interested to hear about your journey
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My mom had bariatric surgery, and she had a lot of problems (mostly due to adherence issues with the very strict diet after the surgery). She lost a lot of her hair, had vitamin deficiency, and has since gained weight back. It's definitely a tool and needs hard work.

You've already shown that you can do the hard work on your own, and it seems to be paying off. You're eating at a pretty large deficit, and that will likely get harder to maintain the more you lose (but you have a lot of extra weight right now and can likely tolerate the big deficit). Definitely focus on protein intake and talk to your doctor about what exercises you'd be able to add in. When you can, I'd look into a progressive resistance program to help retain muscle mass as you lose (especially important due to the large deficit), but again get clearance from the doctor first.

Congrats on getting it done on your own, and keep it up!
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Outstanding. And I applaud you on taking the first steps to change for yourself and have decided to hold off on the surgery. Like you said, if you need it great, but I think you might have more positive effects mentally if you could do it without. Not that it is easy, either way, but a lot less expensive? Best of luck, look forward to seeing you around on the site.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! Great job!! Can't wait to hear more about your journey.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My goodness! That is fantastic! Very inspiring, great job :)
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    That's great. I think it's great that you are reconsidering the surgery. If you can lose what is needed to have surgery then you can do this in a healthy way yourself. Please do remember though that that kind of loss isn't going to be the norm and another thing to remember is that the slower you lose the weight by making small dietary changes the more likely you are to keep it off because you aren't making drastic unhealthy changes to your life that you can't sustain. Since you have a lot to lose you may also want to consider strength training. By adding that to a slower weight loss you will help to curb some of the loose skin issues you will encounter. I have a friend that did the surgery and she didn't exercise at all and she has probably 10lbs of excess skin and insurance won't cover the removal of it. Good luck.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Excellent work. Refreshing to read this instead of the usual BRO SCIENCE that is a cancer on these boards.
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    that is so amazing to hear!!! keep up the good work, you can definitely do this!!! :)
  • Shaq70
    Shaq70 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well done Roger fantastic results keep up the good work
  • ymarq84
    ymarq84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OMG, I am so excited for you. I know that you must feel great! Keep up the good work. :smiley:
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    That is great I also hesitated to click when I saw the title and I am glad I did. If you even remotely feel you can do this yourself I say go for it. The sense of accomplishment is overwhelming either way but if you can do it on your own the freedom of all the restrictions after you are done may be worth it. I never considered the surgery because honestly it SCARED ME. And so went on my own increasing exercise and managing food till I have lost about 180 pounds and now live my life on my own terms. Either way great job on the start and keep it up. Good health and good Losing
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm speechless. That's absolutely fantastic, well done!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    First congrats on taking that first step to a healthy lifestyle! My first reaction is you are eating way too little and need to slow the loss - however, I do realize that sometimes when we are larger (been there) the more we can lose in the first few months, the more likely we are to continue. Stay healthy my friend - and you can do this without surgery!

20757594.png
  • Madascala
    Madascala Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! I'm a nurse and I agree with you that, if your doctor is in agreement with it, you should try to lose the weight on your own for as long as you can and postpone surgery. I have known people that have had bariatric surgery and yes, they did lose a tremendous amount of weight, but post-surgery there were complications and then hair loss, "dumping syndrome" and then you still have to cope with behavior modification, food addiction issues, changing how and what you eat, and even more drastic change than if you just followed a healthy plan like you are doing now. Our bodies want to be healthy and are surprisingly strong and resilient if we will just be kind and help them out by giving proper fuel and moving them. Good luck to you!
  • chubbywolfe
    chubbywolfe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!!
  • gcwillig
    gcwillig Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! Congratulations! It is hard work, but you can do this.
  • rcookenc
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful comments, encouragement, and advice. I really appreciate it :smiley: I realize that I wont be losing that amount of weight all the time. But maybe I can lose another 100 and get down to around 400 before it starts to slow down. When I get down to that 400 area, I feel I should then be able to start some sort of exercise plan.
  • VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    rcookenc wrote: »
    Hello everyone, my name is Roger, I am a 47 y/o male from North Carolina and I weighed 547 lbs (bmi=74.2) at my first bariatric clinic appt. 4 weeks ago. They wont allow surgery on anyone over a bmi of 70, so I have to lose about 50 lbs to qualify. I have another appt. with them for a nutrition evaluation on Monday the 10th, but I didn't want to wait for that-so I started a diet plan myself to get a head start. All the online charts and calorie counters say to maintain my weight of 547, that I was eating around 4800 calories a day. So I checked and saw that I should be eating 1500 a day if I was at normal weight, so I set my goal at 1500 calories a day. By reading from some literature I got from the bariatric clinic and online sites, I noticed that PROTEIN was very important. So I set out to eat between 80-100 grams of protein a day, while keeping under 1500 calories a day, and watching my fat and sugar intake too. Well yesterday I went to my regular doctor and when I weighed in I was astonished. I have only been on my diet for a full 3 weeks and just started my 4th week. I knew I had lost some, I was expecting around 10-15 lbs.... I lost 43 lbs!!!!!!! I am so excited and pumped up :smiley: Also, my bmi is now under the 70 mark :smiley: I do think tho, that I am not gonna have the surgery right away. The more weight I can lose before it, the better. And who knows, I may not even need to have surgery if I can keep losing the weight myself. Guess I just needed a little motivation. And if I do get to a point where I stop losing it myself, then I can still go ahead with the surgery then at that time. Oh, one other thing-I feel that using the daily food log on myfitnesspal was very helpful for me. I love that you can just search for the foods you eat and it has all the numbers for you. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say Hello to everyone. Thought I would share a bit of good news on my progress. Hopefully I will sharing a lot more success. If anyone wants to ask me anything or wants to know more about my diet plan, just ask.

Awesome job! Good for you for taking it on by the horns and going for it. I'm pulling for your continued success on your journey to health. Hang in there, Man!
  • rcookenc
    rcookenc Posts: 31
    edited November 2014
    Options
    gonna try and see if I can post a pic of one of my daily food logs so you can see what I eat.
    photo.php?fbid=1520304864893413&set=a.1380904278833473.1073741829.100007417416758&type=1&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1520304864893413&set=a.1380904278833473.1073741829.100007417416758&type=1&theater
  • rcookenc
    Options
    let me know if the img or the link or both work
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!