College weight loss: Impossible?

Options
I am 22 and in college trying to lose weight that I've struggled with most of my life. I really need motivation to keep myself going. Anyone have any suggestions??

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Walk to class, eat healthy lunches, and avoid the boozing/partying - that will help you lose weight AND help your grades ;)

My dorm was about 2km from my classes, dining hall was halfway in between, so I logged easily 6km every day. Lost a load of weight without even realizing it was coming off.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It is totally possible. When I went to college I actually lost 20 lbs!!! At the college I went to it was manditory for the freshmen to have a gym class and we had to log in so many hours a week, that along with not eating much more then cheese and crackers and some meals from the cafeteria really did it for me. So I suggest finding out if your college has a gym or classes that you can take or audit and go for it. You might want to make healthier food choices then I did but the main thing is to get moving and if you live on campus try walking to all your classes that is a good calorie burner too!!!
    Michelle
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It's possible! Not easy, but possible! I'm in college now. I've lost 10 pounds in the last 4 weeks. You have to make time to go to the gym. That's big. Also, pay attention to what you eat on campus!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Totally possible. I have been doing full time college for a few semesters now, and just started in December trying to lose weight/get fit.

Just gotta stay determined :smile: Act like it is another course, a "eat well and see awesome results" course :wink:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    alcohol is a diet-killer... so find SOBER fun :)

also, I would recommend NOT keeping much food in your dorm/apt/whatever with you if you have a meal plan. try to stick to 3 meals a day vs. 3 meals a day plus late-night-oh-god-I-have-to-finish-this-paper-snacks.
  • jvfletcher
    jvfletcher Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    difficult ...but doable. steer clear of late night treats and boost physical activity
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it would be impossible. I know there's a stereotype about gaining weight at college, but that wasn't my experience at all. I ran a lot, didn't eat a pizza and ice cream every night, and I've never been a drinker. So yes, you can stay healthy at college. Just make healthy choices! Good luck!
  • boxingday2010
    Options
    It's not impossible but it is hard. Watch what you eat, thatI depends if you have a school meal plan or do it yourself. IBut make time to get to the gym and to be as active as possible. Another suggestion is to join an intermural sports team, if nothing else it's a great way to meet friends who like to being active and maybe even can motivate you. Definitely watch out for late night meals, all the pizza places had cheap pizza deals for us college students. It's easy to pack on the pounds with lots of beer followed up by beer munchies. But that's why it's nice to have sites like these to track your progress.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i'm in college and i lost all my 63 lbs to date during this time. though i graduate soon :)

if your college has a gym with membership covered by mandatory fees, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!!! mine does, and i only started using it regularly halfway through my junior year. GOD i wish i would have started earlier, especially when i had more time as a freshman/sophomore!!! i was able to find some free classes as well to make work outs more interesting and learn new things!

on that note, if you need more credits for financial aid or have the extra time in your schedule to, take a 1 or 2 credit PE department course! i took self-defense and volleyball. another fun way to schedule in extra workouts!

when it comes to partying, offer to be the designated driver! then you and your friends will be safe and you have an excuse not to drink.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Agreed, take advantage of your gym!! And don't skip meals. Keeping your metabolism going strong and keeping from starving will help you stick with your diet. :)
  • southernstrix
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! It's definitely difficult, and I am not trying to make excuses at all, but when you have a campus that is only a mile distance all the way around and a cafeteria that does not care about tasty health options, it's horrible. I did really well last semester and dropped about 40 pounds from August until February, but I am finding my schedule to be the worst factor. I do NOT to mornings and so I have all morning classes this semester making me have to eat breakfast (which I haven't done since I was 7) and seriously cutting into my sleep time. I think this site has helped the most though. I really like the idea of not having any snack foods in my room, so other than my morning cereal, I think I am going to cut them out. Thanks guys! :)