HELP- Gallbladder, what fat% should I be eating?

Options
I just found I have a poorly functioning gallbladder and until I have surgery to remove it, I was wondering what % fat I should be setting in my goals to maintain a low fat diet to help control my gallbladder issues. I set it to 20% fat, 30% protein, 50% carbohydrates for the time being since I wasn't sure and am still only eating clear liquids today. The bigger concern comes when I start eating regular foods again. Also I am a vegetarian. Any input/suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Lots of people without a gall bladder eat high fat without issue. What did the doctor say to do until removed? And if you're putting off dealing with gall bladder removal, don't. My mom's SO didn't deal with it and it killed his pancreas and him. A bad gall bladder can also cause major liver stress.
  • r99samigrl
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat low fat until its out. They said that should help with inflammation and symptoms. Just not sure how low I should be aiming for. I know the body needs some fat so I can't be trying to eat fat free everything! I just though since I already use MYF to track my other nutritionals,I could use it for this too and save myself some hassle. And I won't put it off, I was in ED today where they found the problem. I follow up with my GI doc next week to set up surgery (they could have taken it out today as much pain as its causing me!)
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hi. My best advice would be to check with your doctor about what makes sense for your situation.

Beyond that, I am an RN, and for most folks with gallbladder issues, the following applies (but again, check with your doctor): Your body still needs fats to function. 20% is very reasonable.You will tolerate some fats better than others... it's kind of trial and error.

And from the web:
    Gall Bladder Diet:
    People with gall bladder disease should follow a diet that includes starchy foods like rice, cereals, bread, vegetables, and fruit. It is important that you cut down on red meats or, better yet, stop eating it entirely. You should also avoid refined, fatty and fried foods containing saturated fats, trans fats, hydrogenated fats and partially-hydrogenated fats.

Here's a list of what you should eat -

* Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. The keyword is 'fresh'. Fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. The organic kind.
    * Eat plenty of green leafy salads and lace them with olive oil, flax oil and vinegar.
    * Cook your food – vegetables and lean meats - using spices, ginger, and turmeric. These are good aids for digestion and have antiseptic properties as well.
    * Eat low-fat dairy products. Include low fat cottage cheese and low-fat milk in your meals.
    * Eat whole-grain bread.
    * Eat lean meats in moderation.
    * Eat smaller meals rather then large meals.
    * Eat your last meal of the day several hours before you go to bed.
    * Take fish oil capsules. These contain Omega 3 oil, which is excellent for you. It prevents cholesterol build-up in the bile.
    * Drink plenty of water.

Here's a list of fruit and vegetables that are good for you -

* Apples
    * Apricots
    * Lemons
    * Figs
    * Guavas
    * Pears
    * Grapes
    * Currants
    * Prunes
    * Papaya
    * Melons
    * Coconuts
    * Berries
    * Tomatoes
    * Avocados
    * Artichokes
    * Cucumber
    * Beet
    * Sweet Potatoes
    * Carrots
    * Okra
    * Garlic
    * Shallots
    * Celery
    * Swiss Chard
    * Dandelion Greens

Here are some foods you should either avoid or cut down on:

* Eggs
    * Pork
    * Onion
    * Cabbages
    * Cauliflower
    * Legumes
    * Fowl
    * High-fat milk
    * Chocolate
    * Ice-cream
    * Coffee
    * Black Tea
    * Alcohol
    * Soft drinks
    * Sodas
    * Grapefruit
    * Oranges
    * Corn
    * Nuts
    * White Flour
    * Artificial Sweeteners
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't know the percentage of fat, but you will learn your trigger foods. I had my gallbladder removed about 16 years ago and have learned what I cannot eat (sometimes I had to learn the hard way). Saute'd mushrooms - nope. Corn - nope. Dense cheese - nope. Just to name a few. My advice is to keep a serious food journal and write down how you feel later. This will help you identify which foods are setting you off.

On the plus side, the surgery is a piece of cake and you'll be back to normal in no time.

Good luck!
  • r99samigrl
    Options
    Thanks so much! I am also an RN, but when its yourself sometimes its harder to think like a nurse! I normally eat that way (been a vegetarian for 20 years) but the last couple weeks I was on a low residue diet thinking I had a colitis flare. It caused me to have worsening n/v and abdominal pain. Low and behold, it was my gallbladder and the low residue diet was making things worse! Thanks again, I appreciate it :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should talk with your surgeon. He or she will be able to give you the information you need.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My gallbladder failed last year. I found that I did better with low-fat everything, and loads of fruits and veggies. I had a lot of trouble with any meats, so I cut them out. Even now I have to be careful with how much fat I eat, and what I eat. Everyone is different though.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out and I was generally fine if I avoided dairy and greasy fatty foods. I wouldn't worry about the percentage of fat, just avoid anything that's fried or has a lot of oil. I ate a ton of fruit before I had mine out because it was all I could stomach. Also, brown rice. When you are having a gall bladder attack or just pain, apple cider vinegar diluted with a little water works amazing!!!!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    The doctor should have told you what "low fat" means in regard to your condition. Or you should have been given a hard copy of things to do until surgery. You know, like that piece of paper that tells you what to do after a sprain or a cut with infection risk.

The Dr or office staff should have made it very clear what your fat intake should be. Since you're asking us on MFP, I think you should go see another Dr. for a second opinion and see if you are given more info instead of being left hanging with questions.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The doctor should have told you what "low fat" means in regard to your condition. Or you should have been given a hard copy of things to do until surgery. You know, like that piece of paper that tells you what to do after a sprain or a cut with infection risk.

The Dr or office staff should have made it very clear what your fat intake should be. Since you're asking us on MFP, I think you should go see another Dr. for a second opinion and see if you are given more info instead of being left hanging with questions.

My doctor didn't give me anything like that. He just said to eat what worked for me. Every body is different, there isn't going to be a set percentage of anything that works for everyone.
  • r99samigrl
    r99samigrl Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! Started back on solids today and did well with it! Minimal pain and nausea. Using all the helpful hints to make better choices for my gallbladder and overall diet! I appreciate all your support!