Deadlifts on which day?

Options

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your input everyone, I really appreciate it.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Stiff legged deads on your legs day for your hamstrings and glutes, and deadlifts on your back day. Though I would not recommend doing them on consecutive days.

I typically do this as well
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I only deadlift once per week, although I am not opposed to doing some lighter SLDL's another time per week. I don't have a "back day" or a "leg" day but I just try to avoid heavy squats and deads on the same day. I often OHP on the same day I do deadlifts. I also wouldn't put them on consecutive days if they're both heavy. I squat almost every day though, so I just space out my heaviest squats a few days after my deads.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Stiff legged deads on your legs day for your hamstrings and glutes, and deadlifts on your back day. Though I would not recommend doing them on consecutive days.

I do this too.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Agreed. When starting out it probably doesn't matter much.
    [quote=
    Unless she's going very heavy for her, it might not matter when she does them vs that she does them at all[/quote]

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you're training 3 days per week you really should think about either a full body set-up or full body/upper/lower or something of the sort. Splitting it the way you are with only 3 training days only provides you with stimulus once per week per muscle group.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Should I do my deadlifts on leg day, or back day....or a separate day altogether? I do a 3 day split because I am only able to get to the gym 3 days a week...so I'm hoping to get a general consensus for the latter

Unless you're following a bodybuilding or figure athlete split, try not to look at strength training in-terms of bodyparts, especially when it comes to something like a conventional deadlift. Instead, either do a full-body split like found in StrongLifts5x5 or Starting Strength, or do a conventional DL day where you train around that movement itself.

Sam's the man. stole the words right out of my mouth.
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Every day
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I do deadlifts on their own day. I do a 4 day split.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'd say back day. That's what my husband does.

I do a 4-day split, but I really just have two upper body days and two lower body days as opposed to the typical back/bi, chest/tri bro-split. On Tuesdays, squats are my main lift but I do Romanian deadlifts with a relatively light amount of weight as an accessory lift. On Fridays, deadlifts are my main lift, so I go a lot heavier and do traditional deadlifts on that day, along with some squat variation (usually split squats) as an accessory lift with lighter weight.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    If you're training 3 days per week you really should think about either a full body set-up or full body/upper/lower or something of the sort. Splitting it the way you are with only 3 training days only provides you with stimulus once per week per muscle group.

Yeah I found out myself that for a nice good progression I have to train muscle more than once a week.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Should I do my deadlifts on leg day, or back day....or a separate day altogether? I do a 3 day split because I am only able to get to the gym 3 days a week...so I'm hoping to get a general consensus for the latter

Unless you're following a bodybuilding or figure athlete split, try not to look at strength training in-terms of bodyparts, especially when it comes to something like a conventional deadlift. Instead, either do a full-body split like found in StrongLifts5x5 or Starting Strength, or do a conventional DL day where you train around that movement itself.

You made me blush Jo. :o
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I do mine on back day. Squats and deadlifts are both big lifts so I split them up.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i do the same 3 day split as you do....i do dead lifts on my leg days....i work out anywhere between 5-6 days a week.....rotate the 3 days. for each muscle group i vary the exercises each day so i wouldnt do the same type of dead lifts every leg day....muscle confusion!!
  • alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do upper/lower split for four total workouts per week. On one leg day I do heavy squats and hamstring assistance work, on the other, heavy DL with quad assistance work. I believe the DL should be first-and-foremost a leg exercise, even though it obviously works the entire posterior chain. I suspect that trying to target your back with deads, rather than your legs, leaves you more susceptible to back injury at high weights.

check it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9y7-rWhdgA
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you. I should specify that yes I'm only able to get to the gym three days a week- but that's for heavier weight. I do body weight exercises on my overnight shifts at work with a rest day once a week - which I end up riding my horse, so it's like a second leg day. I've had a lot of progress with the 3 day split so far - as far a strength goes. I feel like stonglifts doesn't have enough isolation - and that's the point that I am at because I want to see more definition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

You made me blush Jo. :o

o:)<3o:)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm doing it wrong after reading all these. I have a day for hamstrings, focusing on deadlifts, a day for quads with squats, then back/tri, and chest/bi. Ugh. I will never figure this out.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    back/tri and chest/bi? Switch that to back/bi and chest/tri if you are doing that split
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    back/tri and chest/bi? Switch that to back/bi and chest/tri if you are doing that split

That's what I thought...I don't know why my trainer set it that way.