High protein diet

Options
I have never followed this type of diet because of confusing information. But I understand it can curb a sweet tooth. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Can you provide a little more information? I don't know that I've heard of a high protein diet curbing a sweet tooth, per say, but cutting out all sugar sure does for me. I usually follow a lower carb (and therefore a higher protein and fat) diet when I'm trying to lose weight. I do it mostly because it curbs my desire for sugar and "junk food" and that helps me lose weight overall.
  • tommyr91w
    tommyr91w Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that a diet higher in protein curbs my sugar cravings exactly, but I have found it to be more filling, so it fills that role in a way.

There are other benefits, including the fact that protein assists in muscle repair and growth if you're exercising as part of your weight loss plan. Also, protein is not readily stored in the body. Unlike fats and sugars, excess protein is excreted instead of converted into fat stores or glycogen deposits.

All in all, it's a good tool for weight loss. But like all things, it's best done in moderation. You should be aiming to get about 25%-35% of your daily calories from protein if you're looking to lose weight. You'll find if you do this, your sugar cravings may decrease just as a byproduct of your hunger being satisfied on a more consistent basis. Remember to consult a doctor if you have any kind of kidney or liver problems before starting a high protein diet.
  • elicederoos
    Options
    Hello - I do the low carb diet bc it really works but I am more of a salt person then sweet. But one of my favorite low carb desserts is frozen cool whip (use like ice cream) - a handful of salted nuts warmed in a small bit of butter sprinkled over top...sweet and savory
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    twrivalis wrote: »
    Also, protein is not readily stored in the body. Unlike fats and sugars, excess protein is excreted instead of converted into fat stores or glycogen deposits.

oh

• me29ba
    Options
    i get around 200 grams of protein a day and still have to fight myself away from the sweets.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I follow a high protein diet and split my calories 40-40-20 between Protein-Carbs-Fats. On non-training days I lower the carbs even further (maybe 45-25-30). I think it also keeps my metabolism guessing (which is a good thing). The higher protein and fat keeps me satiated. I try to have not to ever eat high carb / high fat anything. Either high carb / low fat or low carb / high fat. Of course, low carb / low fat (e.g., protein) is great!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Like, chocolate protein bars?
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    imo, the appetite suppression that supposedly comes from a low carb diet is an illusion. With your diet rather limited, you get so bored and tired of eating the same old things - that the thought of another bunless hamburger makes you gag. So you eat less...and voila! you lose weight.
    No diet will curb a sweet tooth. Only mental resolve will.
  • macigoodsauce
    macigoodsauce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information about protein. I had read about protein curbing a sweet tooth but I see that would be a good debate. I will follow the good suggestions y'all have given