Increasing Calories for Christmas?

Options
Hey there.
So I'm going to up my calories for over christmas(starting maybe the 20th December). Ill be switching from losing to mantaining then back again afterwards.
First off, is this a good idea/healthy?
Also, should I slowly increase like start a few weeks before and increase or does it matter?
My calorie intake now is 1210 and will be 2100.(both according to mfp)

Replies

• skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think you can enjoy yourself at the holidays. My strategy has been to think of them as just one day (Or Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, if you're really festive :)) Treating them as a day or two has worked for me. This may not be helpful since you asked for experience increasing starting December 20, but that's what worked for me! Another option might be increasing to 2100 on the day or days you celebrate, and increasing to say 1700 on the other days. These are just ideas--I'm not a nutritionist!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You won't gain fat eating at maintenance, so that's totally fine.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm going to maintenance starting at Thanksgiving and through the end of the year. I've been at this since January and need/want an extended break. If you are at the point where you need a break, or maybe your life would just be much easier/more enjoyable if you upped to maintenance for awhile, I think it is a good idea to do so. I'm not sure how much you have to lose but I've lost 52 pounds so far and I have to say that allowing myself flexibility like this is what has kept me on track.
  • Ciara108
    Ciara108 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think you can enjoy yourself at the holidays. My strategy has been to think of them as just one day (Or Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, if you're really festive :)) Treating them as a day or two has worked for me. This may not be helpful since you asked for experience increasing starting December 20, but that's what worked for me! Another option might be increasing to 2100 on the day or days you celebrate, and increasing to say 1700 on the other days. These are just ideas--I'm not a nutritionist!

See, I'd usually be like Christmas is just one day. But last year I missed Christmas due to being in hospital so I'm trying to make this year extra special so I'm like extending the celebration of it.
    I do like you idea of just going to 1700 but would the jump up be bad for my body since I'm at 1210 now, should I graduate it up and back down or will it be fine?
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I decided to "maintain" last year and ended up gaining several pounds back by New Years because I overdid it. So this year, I'm doing what skinnyforhi suggested and just treating the holidays as individual days. If it's a holiday or if I'm going to a holiday dinner on a given day, I'll splurge and not worry a lot about how much I eat. But on the majority of days throughout Nov and Dec, I'll be sticking to my regular number of calories.
  • ggirard27
    ggirard27 Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm actually planning to do pretty much what you mentioned, with slight modifications.
    I'm on 1210 calories at the moment, I will reach/beat my goal weight by December 21st.

The week starting December 7, I will increase to around 1500 calories.

The week starting December 14, I will increase to around 1800 calories.

Finally, the week starting December 21st, I will increase to maintenance, which will be approximately 2100 calories.

I think that increasing gradually will help the transition back to maintenance.
  • Ciara108
    Options
    JulieAnn72 wrote: »
    I decided to "maintain" last year and ended up gaining several pounds back by New Years because I overdid it. So this year, I'm doing what skinnyforhi suggested and just treating the holidays as individual days. If it's a holiday or if I'm going to a holiday dinner on a given day, I'll splurge and not worry a lot about how much I eat. But on the majority of days throughout Nov and Dec, I'll be sticking to my regular number of calories.

Thanks, it's great to hear from someone who actually tried it. Maybe if I do stick to Christmas day only as like a cheat day and try to maintain my calorie intake as it is for the other days but I'd be a lot more relaxed for the time between Christmas and New Years and not get bogged down if I go over, what do you think?
  • Ciara108
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm going to maintenance starting at Thanksgiving and through the end of the year. I've been at this since January and need/want an extended break. If you are at the point where you need a break, or maybe your life would just be much easier/more enjoyable if you upped to maintenance for awhile, I think it is a good idea to do so. I'm not sure how much you have to lose but I've lost 52 pounds so far and I have to say that allowing myself flexibility like this is what has kept me on track.

I've only been doing this since August. Is it too soon to take a break, tbh I just want to enjoy Christmas without worrying too much about what I eat but still to be within a healthy limit.
    Could you keep me updated on how your doing after thanksgiving(which I have no idea when it is cause, I live in Ireland and we don't celebrate it) and if you gained any from just maintaining?
  • Ciara108
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ok that's good, I was thinking the jump in calories might cause some gain. Thanks :smile:
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ciara108 wrote: »

See, I'd usually be like Christmas is just one day. But last year I missed Christmas due to being in hospital so I'm trying to make this year extra special so I'm like extending the celebration of it.
    I do like you idea of just going to 1700 but would the jump up be bad for my body since I'm at 1210 now, should I graduate it up and back down or will it be fine?

I'm glad you are healthy this year! Just eat at maintenance and enjoy--it sounds like you have lots of reasons to celebrate.

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    If you can have the rational conversation with yourself that, "self, you are going to eat at maintenance for these days, and then after that, we're right back on track," then go for it. I will usually have a few days each month were I eat at maintenance or above, due to traveling, visiting family and/or special days. I have noticed that even on those days, it's still less than I would have been eating at this time last year, so I figure it's definitely a sign that I've made real changes and progress.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I've only been doing this since August. Is it too soon to take a break, tbh I just want to enjoy Christmas without worrying too much about what I eat but still to be within a healthy limit.
    Could you keep me updated on how your doing after thanksgiving(which I have no idea when it is cause, I live in Ireland and we don't celebrate it) and if you gained any from just maintaining?

I've taken three different one week maintenance breaks this year. Each time, I've still tracked my food (measure, log, etc.) and I've never gained weight during any of them. Our Thanksgiving is November 27 this year. I'm actually planning to do maintenance through January 31 so it will be a longer break but I'm confident that I won't gain. I'm going a bit longer than just the holidays because I've met my initial goal and want to increase how much I can lift a bit before trying to lose another 10(ish) pounds. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I need that break and between the holidays, vacation, and that, I'm just going to do it.

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Ok that's good, I was thinking the jump in calories might cause some gain. Thanks :smile:

Well, it will, but it's not fat. Expect to put on about 5 lbs...this is just because your glycogen stores will be full. It's water weight, and will drop back off when you return to a deficit.
  • Ciara108
    Options

I've taken three different one week maintenance breaks this year. Each time, I've still tracked my food (measure, log, etc.) and I've never gained weight during any of them. Our Thanksgiving is November 27 this year. I'm actually planning to do maintenance through January 31 so it will be a longer break but I'm confident that I won't gain. I'm going a bit longer than just the holidays because I've met my initial goal and want to increase how much I can lift a bit before trying to lose another 10(ish) pounds. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I need that break and between the holidays, vacation, and that, I'm just going to do it.

Defiantly sounds like it a well deserved break! Congrats on hitting your goal!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You will gain some water weight - so be prepared for that. But you will not gain any fat at maintenance so long as you are weighing and measuring everything and logging accurately.
  • Ciara108
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

Well, it will, but it's not fat. Expect to put on about 5 lbs...this is just because your glycogen stores will be full. It's water weight, and will drop back off when you return to a deficit.

Ok that actually gives me a much better understanding and now I'll be aware if that does happen that it is just water, thanks!
  • Ciara108
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    If you can have the rational conversation with yourself that, "self, you are going to eat at maintenance for these days, and then after that, we're right back on track," then go for it. I will usually have a few days each month were I eat at maintenance or above, due to traveling, visiting family and/or special days. I have noticed that even on those days, it's still less than I would have been eating at this time last year, so I figure it's definitely a sign that I've made real changes and progress.

Honestly I think that I can do that, I have good self control.
    That's great, hopefully that'll happen for me!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Also, I just want to throw it out there, but you can certainly eat more than 1210 calories to lose weight. Again, just throwing it out there, it's up to you. I'd rather eat as much as possible and still lose weight when cutting, but that's just me.
  • Ciara108
    Options
    ggirard27 wrote: »
    I'm actually planning to do pretty much what you mentioned, with slight modifications.
    I'm on 1210 calories at the moment, I will reach/beat my goal weight by December 21st.

Finally, the week starting December 21st, I will increase to maintenance, which will be approximately 2100 calories.

See I'd only be mantaining for a few days cause I havnt hit my goal yet, then I'd be going back to 1210, do you think I should still graduate it or I'll be fine?
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    ggirard27 wrote: »

See I'd only be mantaining for a few days cause I havnt hit my goal yet, then I'd be going back to 1210, do you think I should still graduate it or I'll be fine?

You'll be fine. You don't need to increase or decrease gradually.