Anyone out there deal with SAD?

Options
2»

Replies

• stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    warriorguy wrote: »
    Make sure vitamin supplements are what you need....like E, B12, B6, B1, folic acid, Hawthorn Berry, and ask doctor if hormone therapy is needed.

Wow! So all those supplements help with SAD? I didn't know! I'm currently taking a prenatal, D3, and iron. I might have to check into some of those others also! Thanks for the heads-up!
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    scg17 wrote: »
    I have just regular old depression, but maybe my tips will help? I do Vitamin D every single day (typically takes me a month to feel a difference), I work out at least every other day, I shoot for 8 hrs of sleep each night, and I try to incorporate hot yoga (or even heated restorative yoga) it makes me feel better down to my bones to be so warm. I try to plan really healthy meals and cook in bulk, so I have good, warm stuff readily available when I'm tired or down.

Thanks scg,
    I like your ideas :wink:
  • StephanieStC
    StephanieStC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take 3000 mg (3 pills) of fish oil each day. This has been proven to be as effective as a low dose of anti-depressants. It gives me a higher, more stable (mood-wise) base from which I operate. I do it all year long.

Also, start your day with a smoothie that you have added some spices to - like a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and a tbl of chia seeds. They give you energy. You will feel great in no time!
  • mandy462
    mandy462 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    for those of you using light therapy, any make & model suggestions?
  • stillbattlingthebulge
    Options
    mandy462 wrote: »
    for those of you using light therapy, any make & model suggestions?

Thanks, Mandy, for asking! I have been wondering the sane thing!
  • Ibyzr
    Ibyzr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with SAD a few years ago, and was prescribed a light box. My insurance covered it <---lucky. It is a SunRayII and is ginormous and bright. I use it every morning for an hour or two while I work, and it helps soooo much. I have a windowless office and I pretty much shut my door(which allows me alone time to catch up in the morning as well).

The power of the bulb is what makes it work. You can get lights over the counter, but they might not be strong enough to make much of a difference. Do some google.