Are all calories created equal

Options
Have been trying to up my protein and have really noticed I am much fuller and less hungry between meals. But though I have been using a lot of turkey and chicken I've noticed the things I really like that are protein rich like eggs, cheese, seeds, nuts, nut butter are all higher in fat.

So my aim was 40-30-30 carbs-protein-fat but am coming in about 33-33-34 and sometimes the fat is more like 35.

Does this matter? Are all calories really created equal? I cant help thinking of the old adage about eating low fat that was so popular (think Rosemary Conley). Im enjoying how I eat at the moment so would you say those numbers look ok.

And if not where can I make changes. Thanks MFP gods x

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Your numbers are fine.

I'm not going to get into whether all calories are created equal as it will start a shitstorm (although it's going to happen anyway I am sure).
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    First, what is a calorie?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Are you asking about macros? There are some links. I can hunt them down if someone doesn't have them handy.

Here is a great link that talks about a lot of things including macros
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes, all calories (kc) are created equal.

the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water through 1 °C
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    No. For every 100 calories a Twinkie gets a Sno Ball only gets 78. And don't get me started on white chocolate.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just based on the thread title, you're in for a lot of people screaming at each other (and not answering your question). Unless you want to read a ton of MFP drama, you might want to ask the mods to delete this thread and post a new one with a different title.

That said, your macros look fine. You need protein, fat and carbs -- they all do good (and different) things for your body. As long as you come up with a macro split that works for you and keeps you full, and as long as you're within your target calorie goal, you'll be fine.

Calories are units of energy, that's all. They come packaged with other nutrients, and you should get calories from a wide range of sources so that you are getting a wide range of nutrients, but a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Your body doesn't care if you get a calorie from one place or another. However, your body does care that you get Vitamin C on occasion, for example, so when choosing calories it's good to look at the nutrition that comes with them, but those two things are separate issues.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    All of these people that talk about eating all this junk don't even eat it in real life. You can tell they're lying because they all have great bodies, if they ate all of those pop tarts, burgers etc. they wouldn't have ripped abs. I think a lot of people around here try to sabatoge others because they don't want people to achieve what they did.
  • lorib642
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Just based on the thread title, you're in for a lot of people screaming at each other (and not answering your question). Unless you want to read a ton of MFP drama, you might want to ask the mods to delete this thread and post a new one with a different title.

That said, your macros look fine. You need protein, fat and carbs -- they all do good (and different) things for your body. As long as you come up with a macro split that works for you and keeps you full, and as long as you're within your target calorie goal, you'll be fine.

Calories are units of energy, that's all. They come packaged with other nutrients, and you should get calories from a wide range of sources so that you are getting a wide range of nutrients, but a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Your body doesn't care if you get a calorie from one place or another. However, your body does care that you get Vitamin C on occasion, for example, so when choosing calories it's good to look at the nutrition that comes with them, but those two things are separate issues.

^^^
    This

I don't think the question you are asking, are calories equal? Will get you the answer you are looking for.

Yes, calories are equal, but macronutrients protein, carbs, fat are different and micronutrients will be present in different amounts in different foods. The link I posted has some info on how to set your macros.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Your plan will work fine. Macros are processed differently in the body but unless you go to extremes it not a huge factor.

Dont fear the fat because it a necessary part of a healthy diet but again dont take them to extremes. Try to get your fats from a variety of sources. Fish and nuts are great. Try to include nutrient dense food to make sure you are getting your micro nutrients. Protein and fats make you feel full but so can eating your veggies as they are usually low calorie and have fiber. They are great sources of vitamins and minerals.

Including some treats in your diet might help you stick to the diet and are good for mental health and energy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Does this matter? Are all calories really created equal? I cant help thinking of the old adage about eating low fat that was so popular (think Rosemary Conley). Im enjoying how I eat at the moment so would you say those numbers look ok.

I think the question is whether you will gain weight or lose less, despite being in a deficit, because your fat often comes in around 35% of total calories. If so, not at all. In fact, one of the few things that you'd probably find a majority at MFP agreeing upon (not everyone, of course, but the others are wrong) ;-) is that eating fat doesn't make you fat. I don't know who Rosemary Conley is, but she sounds like a Susan Powter, who was a diet guru in the US in the '90s and would scream "fat makes you fat." No, it doesn't. Eating too many calories for your size and activity level (and metabolism) makes you fat.

Many think that eating more fat, like you are, helps with satiation and thus tends to help people maintain a calorie deficit better than eating higher levels of, say, carbs. Not because carbs make you gain weight, but because being satiated on fewer calories makes maintaining a deficit easier. IMO, this is simply something that varies from person to person. I tend to do well eating 30-35% fat, personally, especially when that's combined with a similar amount of protein (and I also tend to prefer many forms of protein that come with some fat, like whole eggs and various cuts of meat that aren't the very leanest.

So to me it sounds like you are doing fine!

Edit: oh, also, unless you are trying for some really precise diet for athletic reasons or to lose that last bit of fat, I tend to think that 33-33-33 is certainly close enough to 40-30-30 macros anyway. I have the same goals and get the same slightly off results all the time, and since I think of my main goal as getting my protein and don't care that much about the ratio of fat and carbs so long as I have energy and they aren't way off that something must be going on with my diet as compared with normal, I consider it consistent with my goals.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A calorie just a measurement of energy. What you get calories from is not all nutritionally equal. But a calorie is a calorie, I suppose...unless you are on different planets and at different altitudes. Then the energy levels might change...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "Calorie" is just a word we use to describe a certain amount of energy. So, in that sense, they're all equal.

Carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram.
    Proteins have 4 calories per gram.
    Fats have 9 calories per gram.

Different foods, obviously have different things in them and will be good or bad for you, accordingly. Google "trans fats" alone and you'll read for days, lol. Healthy food makes a healthy you, but it can't be judged just on carbs, fat and protein.

If you want to eat healthy (and not everyone does and that's a choice everyone makes for themselves!), this is a good, easy start: http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I went over this today.

You FORGOT the BROTEIN.

1g brotein is 4 calories and 2 pumps.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for.your answers. I definitely didn't post this to cause a sh*tstorm or any drama. Like many on this site I am trying to lose weight but I also want to improve my general nutrition and am trying to become fitter and healthier so I've joined a gym and started with a personal trainer.

Those links look really useful I am wanting to read up on nutrition and educate myself generally so I will use them as a starting point. As many of you have answered my question regarding fat levels I will continue as I am then though I do need to up my veggies for vitamins.

And will be sure to look out for the brotein! :)
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thank you all for.your answers. I definitely didn't post this to cause a sh*tstorm or any drama. Like many on this site I am trying to lose weight but I also want to improve my general nutrition and am trying to become fitter and healthier so I've joined a gym and started with a personal trainer.

Those links look really useful I am wanting to read up on nutrition and educate myself generally so I will use them as a starting point. As many of you have answered my question regarding fat levels I will continue as I am then though I do need to up my veggies for vitamins.

And will be sure to look out for the brotein! :)

I am glad you were able to get something out of this. It wasn't you causing drama, it's just the topic. You sound like you are off to a great start. I am pretty new to this, too.

• BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Have been trying to up my protein and have really noticed I am much fuller and less hungry between meals. But though I have been using a lot of turkey and chicken I've noticed the things I really like that are protein rich like eggs, cheese, seeds, nuts, nut butter are all higher in fat.

So my aim was 40-30-30 carbs-protein-fat but am coming in about 33-33-34 and sometimes the fat is more like 35.

Your most important comment is "I'm enjoying how I eat..." So many people get all hung up on the smallest of details. There is NO perfect One fits all Macro-nutrient ratio.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Your most important comment is "I'm enjoying how I eat..." So many people get all hung up on the smallest of details. There is NO perfect One fits all Macro-nutrient ratio.

Ding, ding, ding. Personally I don't like using percentages to calculate my macros. Instead, I know my body needs a minimum amount of fats and protein and I just try to hit those numbers. If I go over I don't really worry about it.