Abdomen strengthening advice

Options
Hi ladies and gents!

A little help?

I have a very weak core/abdomen as I have had a diaphragmatic hernia as a child.
That has left me with very poor muscle tone and strength in my abdomen.

What exercise is best for strengthening it?
I'm sure sit ups are a myth, but am I wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Replies

• kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    PLANKS, PLANKS and more PLANKS :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Pilates
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have a DVD that showed me a lot of moves (Bob Harper Totally Ripped Core). There are a ton of different moves and only a few situps at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RALniLPoD3I
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Sit ups and crunches are fine so are any of the many variations. Planks are good as well. Then there is the twisting exercises like Russian twists and windshield wipers. Other good ones would be hanging leg raises, dragon flags, reverse sit up.

Really all of them work for engaging the muscles and making them stronger through there particular range of motion.

Heavy compound lifts like the squat, deadlifts, over head press, pull over, bench press all work those muscles also. Many people have really strong cores and dont do any direct ab work other than the heavy compound weight lifting.

• MikeyOreo
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! :)

Miss Sofa King I'll definitely be looking at that vid!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Heavy compound lifts like the squat, deadlifts, over head press, pull over, bench press all work those muscles also. Many people have really strong cores and dont do any direct ab work other than the heavy compound weight lifting.

I like this answer the best. Develop a strong body to have a strong core.

Keep in mind that ab exercises don't selectively reduce ab fat, if that's what you mean by "poor muscle tone".

• MikeyOreo
    Options
    No I mean I have a lack of abdominal muscle because of my birth condition.
    More effecting my left side.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite are lemon squeezers, jack knifes, leg raises, throwdowns, and bicycles.