Extreme bloating after eating a muffin... after avoiding cake for a few months.

jumprope61
jumprope61 Posts: 9
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone! This is my first MFP post and I'd appreciated any advice :)

A few hours ago, I made chocolate muffins. Half an hour later I changed into my workout gear and my abdomen was HUGE. I looked 6 months pregnant and have never seen my abdomen so large lol. It has gone down significantly a few hours later but I am still bloated. The muffin consisted of 1 cup wholewheat flour/ 1/4 cup white flour, coconut oil, cocoa powder, zucchini, egg, bicarb soda, coconut based milk and honey. I have been cutting back on the carb dense foods I used to enjoy such as cakes of late but thought I'd treat myself with a slightly healthier muffin. I'm not sure if it is the flour as I did have a slice of bread this morning and only experienced mild bloat.

Is it normal for your body to react in this way after avoiding cake/biscuits etc for so long (5 months)? I only did so because I realised that what I thought was a pot belly was partially extreme bloating. Once I gradually cut these foods out, I saw a great difference in my body shape.

Thanks for your help! :)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Body dysmorphia + psychosomatic reaction
  • Acg67 wrote: »

Wow, Dr. Acg67. Thank you for your diagnosis!
  • Acg67
    jumprope61 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

You're very welcome. I take it you will answer everyone sarcastically until someone gives you the answer you were originally looking for, thus giving you some self validation?
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    That was a pretty extreme answer. I have my cheat days on Saturdays and I get as bloated as you say... Maybe not six months pregnant-looking, but I do get your point. It'll go away by tomorrow. It always does with me (although the extra pound of the cheat day does stay lol). Don't stress about it.

You're very welcome. I take it you will answer everyone sarcastically until someone gives you the answer you were originally looking for, thus giving you some self validation?

I have no idea why you're being so antagonistic. I asked a question. You posted a ridiculous answer diagnosing me with a mental health problem.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Body+Dysmorphic+Disorder
    A new term for me.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/999910
    Jumprope61 while I do not know the cause you are not the first case of this reported here.
  • That was a pretty extreme answer. I have my cheat days on Saturdays and I get as bloated as you say... Maybe not six months pregnant-looking, but I do get your point. It'll go away by tomorrow. It always does with me (although the extra pound of the cheat day does stay lol). Don't stress about it.

I don't know what I did to solicit such a response... I didn't really expect that kind of reception as I've read a few pages on the site already and people seem friendly. It's good to know that it's common. Thanks.
  • http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Body+Dysmorphic+Disorder
    A new term for me.

Jumprope61 while I do not know the cause you are not the first case of this reported here.

Thanks for the link! I'll try to slowly introduce more carbs into my diet again. It could be because I had the 2 muffins all of a sudden.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

he_s_right_you_know_by_nightdemon12-d70r777.jpg

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Body+Dysmorphic+Disorder
    A new term for me.

Thanks for the link! I'll try to slowly introduce more carbs into my diet again. It could be because I had the 2 muffins all of a sudden.

It's not the muffins, it's your mindset :)

Please don't joke or make light of BDD. It's a very real and painful disorder to live with.

To the OP: the bloating may have to do the carbs, but it's probably just a coincidence due to a number of factors. Did you drink anything carbonated? Chew gum? Use fake sugars in the muffin? I wouldn't worry about it for. Maybe when you try another muffin you will see the same effect again, and can look more closely at the ingredients you used. If you don't have the same reaction, just write this off. Bloating is uncomfortable but not the end of the world.
  • jumprope61
    jumprope61 Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    baum7934 wrote: »

Please don't joke or make light of BDD. It's a very real and painful disorder to live with.

To the OP: the bloating may have to do the carbs, but it's probably just a coincidence due to a number of factors. Did you drink anything carbonated? Chew gum? Use fake sugars in the muffin? I wouldn't worry about it for. Maybe when you try another muffin you will see the same effect again, and can look more closely at the ingredients you used. If you don't have the same reaction, just write this off. Bloating is uncomfortable but not the end of the world.

I'm really amazed that 2 members have diagnosed me with BDD solely based on the fact that I've asked other members whether or not the degree of bloating I experienced after eating 2 pieces of cake is normal.... Wow.

Thanks for your advice.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    For me, eating wheat used to cause bloating and extreme pain. The solution for me was to cut out the wheat and the difference was amazing. I certainly don't miss that dreadful bloated feeling and being doubled up with pain. Someone said "bloating is uncomfortable but not the end of the world." Has to be a male who said that, try fitting into a tight dress when you look like you are 6 months pregnant - that is not all in your mind because the bloody zip won't even do up.
  • LeenaGee wrote: »
    For me, eating wheat used to cause bloating and extreme pain. The solution for me was to cut out the wheat and the difference was amazing. I certainly don't miss that dreadful bloated feeling and being doubled up with pain. Someone said "bloating is uncomfortable but not the end of the world." Has to be a male who said that, try fitting into a tight dress when you look like you are 6 months pregnant - that is not all in your mind because the bloody zip won't even do up.

Nope. I'm definitely female. I am bloated nearly daily, any time I eat. Doesn't matter if it's vegetables, just lean protein, carbs. There are times when it is obviously undesirable (like fitting into a tight dress-- why I don't wear tight dresses maybe?) but 1 instance of bloating that the OP has experienced (for just a few hours) is nothing to worry about. Pretty normal to have times when you're bloated after eating.
  • Acg67

I have no idea why you're being so antagonistic. I asked a question. You posted a ridiculous answer diagnosing me with a mental health problem.

May I ask how many children you have to know what you'd look like 6 months pregnant? In no way were you totally exaggerating how bad your bloating was and seeing something in the mirror that truly wasn't there? Zero percent chance of that, correct?

Are you familiar with post hoc ergo propter hoc?

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member

May I ask how many children you have to know what you'd look like 6 months pregnant? In no way were you totally exaggerating how bad your bloating was and seeing something in the mirror that truly wasn't there? Zero percent chance of that, correct?

Are you familiar with post hoc ergo propter hoc?

If I looked 6 months pregnant I'd be carting my rear to the ER. I know what I looked like at 6 months along both times...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Sounds like it's all in your head.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »

You shouldn't have gone there. Enjoy your flags
    No. You.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »

You shouldn't have gone there. Enjoy your flags

Picture0003.jpg

Oh irony.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I have to agree if eating 1 muffin is causing you to look 6 months pregnant you need to seek a Physician..thats a Gastro issue and probably not something to make light of if your tummy is growing that large.