Tall Women?!

Options
Are there any other tall women out there struggling to settle on a weight and calorie goal?? I'm 20 years old and 6'1" and mfp had me on 1300 calories which seems like wayyyy too little for me, so I upped it to 1500 but I'm still feeling hungry a lot and often go over my daily limit. I weigh 190 pounds but have very little fat left to lose, maybe 10 pounds. Are there any other tall women out there with advice?

Replies

• It's not about your height though. Being taller or shorter shouldn't affect the amount of food your body needs, though changes in your body appearance are probably less noticeable due to the fact they spread out a little bit more. Either way, maybe you have fast metabolism, or live a more active life and your organism just needs more calories. It also depends on the food that you're eating, as generally you can eat much more veggies and fruit for the same amount of calories as you get in a little bit of 'junk'. Hope it helps a little, either way, your height is not a determining factor in the amount of calories you need to consume.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's not about your height though. Being taller or shorter shouldn't affect the amount of food your body needs, though changes in your body appearance are probably less noticeable due to the fact they spread out a little bit more. Either way, maybe you have fast metabolism, or live a more active life and your organism just needs more calories. It also depends on the food that you're eating, as generally you can eat much more veggies and fruit for the same amount of calories as you get in a little bit of 'junk'. Hope it helps a little, either way, your height is not a determining factor in the amount of calories you need to consume.

Sorry, that is not right. Actually your height which you enter in your Settings and Update Diet/Fitness Profile does affect the calories alloted. For example when I enter my stats including 5'8" I get 1390 cals and if I change ONLY the height to 6'1" then I get 1490 cals, so that is just a fact.
    Search Community topics "sexy-pants" and that thread gives advice about finding an appropriate caloric deficit to lose weight. Anyway if you want to eat more, either exercise more (which will probably make you more hungry) or change your goal in Settings Update Diet/Fitness Profile to lose less rapidly, eg. to lose 0.5lbs per week- that will cause allotment of more calories. It is good to lose gradually anyway if you want to keep it off permanently.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and when losing, I net 1500, meaning I total between 2000 and 2800 with exercise calories.
    To the person who said height does not make a difference...wrong. Do some research before posting such misinformation.
  • marisarinde
    marisarinde Posts: 54
    Options
    I have the opposite problem! I'm 5'10", HW 180, LW 120, aiming for 135-145 (almost 10 pounds away from 145, more focused on body composition though now). MFP keeps telling me I'm not eating enough! I try to exercise every day, and even then it doesn't take much to make me feel full, so MFP thinks I should be consuming more calories when in reality I don't need to. I don't wanna push myself when I'm already full, ya know? Good luck though :)
  • kitaemma
    kitaemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem! I feel like I'm not making much progress right now but good luck to you too :)
  • kitaemma
    kitaemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you! ill go check out that thread right now
  • Ambergrace24
    Ambergrace24 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11, I started out weight 326 and a size 26, I have lost nearly 88 pounds, and now I wear a size 16. I am not sure what my goal weight should be? Any suggestions?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It's not about your height though. Being taller or shorter shouldn't affect the amount of food your body needs, though changes in your body appearance are probably less noticeable due to the fact they spread out a little bit more. Either way, maybe you have fast metabolism, or live a more active life and your organism just needs more calories. It also depends on the food that you're eating, as generally you can eat much more veggies and fruit for the same amount of calories as you get in a little bit of 'junk'. Hope it helps a little, either way, your height is not a determining factor in the amount of calories you need to consume.

Ridiculous! I'm 6'5" and I can assure you that I burn more calories than a 4'1" person, if for no other reason than I have a lot more blood to circulate.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 5 so around average height I consume 1660 calories and lose 0.5lbs a week so height is deffo a factor I would recommend you chose a number around 1800 and stick with it for a while if you lose weight great if too much higher it if you gain or stall lower it that's how I got my numbers
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    If your still hungry, I would say eat a good few more calories but burn some with added exercise!!

With only 10lbs to lose, set your goals to 0.5lb per week so you can eat more.

Eat lots of good fats, high protein - Should keep you fuller for longer.

Fruit, veggies, nuts etc
  • lisamcintosh1401
    Options
    I'm 6 ft 10 and my calories is 1410......I think it's about right I eat that every day (sometimes over but excercise LOTS)....guessing it will go down as my weight goes down...my 5 ft 5 friend is only on 1200..
  • lisamcintosh1401
    Options
    6 ft 1*** I mean!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I am 6'2" and lose weight at 2350-2500 calories a day.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    5'10" here and losing, albeit slooooowwwly on 2200 a day, burning approx 500 calories in exercise 5-6 days per week. I would eat my own arm on 1400 a day. I think you can eat more.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My suggestion would be to try using the equation thingys to make sure MFP is calculating correctly. Your daily activity level (desk job vs on your feet all day) and how much you want to lose per week (I'd say no more than .5 per week since you don't have much to lose) are important. Your height, age, and current weight are also in the equation and will effect the output.

The more you exercise the more you can eat (however you will also be hungrier, that one gets me all the time). Choosing healthy food, drinking enough water, getting enough sleep and reducing stress can effect your body's ability to lose weight and the hunger feeling more than you might realize.
  • whiskeybiz11
    whiskeybiz11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11, I started out weight 326 and a size 26, I have lost nearly 88 pounds, and now I wear a size 16. I am not sure what my goal weight should be? Any suggestions?

Whoa, amazing job! I'm 6'1" and went from 267 to 193 almost 8 years ago on Weight Watchers. I'm 38, so it's harder to maintain and I saw some creep back up so here I am with MFP :) I've noticed my body likes to hang around the 202-208 range and anything lower than that I really really have to work at. I still want to enjoy life too, ya know?!

So my advice - listen to your body - it's not a number on the scale or a size dress that should define your "goal"! Choose a NSV - running a 10k is mine (and I HATE running!) but it makes me feel strong and healthy...oh, and wearing clothes without Spanx is another slightly vain goal, but that'll feel GREAT!

Good luck!
  • whiskeybiz11
    whiskeybiz11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kitaemma wrote: »
    Are there any other tall women out there struggling to settle on a weight and calorie goal?? I'm 20 years old and 6'1" and mfp had me on 1300 calories which seems like wayyyy too little for me, so I upped it to 1500 but I'm still feeling hungry a lot and often go over my daily limit. I weigh 190 pounds but have very little fat left to lose, maybe 10 pounds. Are there any other tall women out there with advice?

Age has a lot to do with setting your daily calories just as much as height - witch is why ALL calculators ask you for that information! Also, someone else gave me great advice - if you have very little to lose (you say maybe 10 lbs?), then you should set your loss goal at 1 lb/week. Yes, you may be tempted to do 2 lbs/week, but that's for people with more than 50 lbs to lose! Cutting calories too aggressively will throw your body into starvation mode.

Good luck, from one Tall Girl to another! :)