Eating exercise calories back

Options
if I am tracking calories in and out (I use a heart rate monitor that counts calories when exercising.) it sounds like I can get pretty accurate with my weight loss. What I really want to know is - Should I eat exercise calories back? I have heard both ways do and don't. Which one is right?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're following the MFP method, you're expected to eat them back, though usually 50-75% due to burn overestimations. With an HRM you might be able to eat them all back.

If you follow the TDEE method, then exercise is already accounted for and you don't eat the burned calories back.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up for you to eat them back.

If your doing the TDEE method then you don't.
  • annenhie
    annenhie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eat about half back. That's the most common tip people have given me here and it has worked well for me.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Well I run and also lift weights and I usually eat about 3/4 of them back. This is a new thing after asking lots of questions on here. I'm happy to eat them because I'm a slow steady kind of girl and I also want to maintain the bit of muscle I'm building. Oh and I lost weight this week doing that ( I had come to a bit of a plateau after 32 kgs lost) I shall see how it goes but I think it's a good plan. I also use a HRM so I know the calories are accurate not the overestimated mfp ones :-)
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific basis for my reply but in my opinion I think it depends on where you have your bmr activity level set. I myself set my activity level at sedentary even though I exercise I lot. For my weight loss goal my daily intake is around 1250. If I burn 800 calories on an 8 mile run I can either eat 2050 calories for the day and still be at a deficit or I can not eat back the 800 calories and be at an even greater deficit for the day. Make sense?
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    I also eat 1470 cals a day and then add on the exercise ones... I'm hungrier on exercise days so it's good :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Edie30 wrote: »
    Well I run and also lift weights and I usually eat about 3/4 of them back. This is a new thing after asking lots of questions on here. I'm happy to eat them because I'm a slow steady kind of girl and I also want to maintain the bit of muscle I'm building. Oh and I lost weight this week doing that ( I had come to a bit of a plateau after 32 kgs lost) I shall see how it goes but I think it's a good plan. I also use a HRM so I know the calories are accurate not the overestimated mfp ones :-)

Just keep in mind that HRMs are not accurate for lifting-- only for steady state cardio.

I ate back every calorie while losing weight and it worked well for me. I'm more of a slow and steady type myself. :flowerforyou:
  • RaceB
    RaceB Posts: 18
    Options
    I guess if you are truly as accurate in your exercise calcs. as you seem to think, you can eat them all back...really. My personal experience is if I eat them back I lose basically nothing...which suggests I'm not getting an accurate read on my exercise burn.

Why not start with eating them all back...give it afew weeks, if 'no joy', then pull back 1/2...etc..
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't seem to lose weight if I eat them back so I don't... unless I happen to eat more that my baseline calories. Like today! When I got to dinnertime and found I didn't have calories left, then I realized I'd been planning all along to eat my exercise calories back today. ;)
  • nicolewhite2444
    Options
    what is the TDEE method?
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I always eat them back, that's what I believe is best for my body. That assumes accurate estimates of course. If you are one of those people who believe they burned 900 calories during a zumba class... than don't. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    what is the TDEE method?

It's where you figure out your approximate Total Daily Energy Expenditure aka TDEE (BMR + Daily Activity + Exercise) and then you take 5-25% off of that number. With this method, you don't have to worry about adding in exercise calories and your goal will be the same every day.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    musimom wrote:
    Should I eat exercise calories back? I have heard both ways do and don't.
    My doctor & dietician told me not to. Think of exercise as a bonus toward weight loss.
    Most weight loss happens from controlling calories in, and it's MUCH easier to not eat 300 calories than it is to exercise them away.

Most people underestimate what they eat, and most machines overestimate calories burned.
    If you're going to occasionally eat them back, only have maybe 1/3 to 1/2, and only once in a while.

51637601.png
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I eat them back. Why? Because i have the mindset that I'm already at goal. When I am at goal I'll be exercising five times a week and eating just like I am now. So why should i do anything different now?

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I eat them if hungry which most of the time I am but I don't eat them all back
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    musimom wrote:
    Should I eat exercise calories back? I have heard both ways do and don't.
    My doctor & dietician told me not to. Think of exercise as a bonus toward weight loss.
    Most weight loss happens from controlling calories in, and it's MUCH easier to not eat 300 calories than it is to exercise them away.

Most people underestimate what they eat, and most machines overestimate calories burned.
    If you're going to occasionally eat them back, only have maybe 1/3 to 1/2, and only once in a while.

51637601.png
    Of course it is easier to not eat it than to exercise it, but that is not the point. One is not a substitution for the other. Exercise is necessary, it is not just a part of weight loss, it is a part of health. And you will never have the body you want without it. Fueling your body properly and working towards building a desired lean muscle mass is more important and more sustainable long term than increasing calorie deficit to a higher degree.
  • AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    NYCNika wrote: »
    Of course it is easier to not eat it than to exercise it, but that is not the point. One is not a substitution for the other. Exercise is necessary, it is not just a part of weight loss, it is a part of health. And you will never have the body you want without it. Fueling your body properly and working towards building a desired lean muscle mass is more important and more sustainable long term than increasing calorie deficit to a higher degree.

QFT.
    While I currently am only eating back half my exercise calories, I think it dépends on how you set up your daily calorie goals. Because if you're eating at a 500+ calorie deficit based on a TDEE calculated assuming a sedentary lifestyle, but in actuality work out 3 times a week, you're likely to be missing some of the nutrients your body needs to repair.