Gym Troubles

Options
Through my work I get a free gym membership to a small gym in town. I've been going for the past three months and I love being able to use their equipment but it is really frustrating to go there. Every morning when I go there are at least 3 trainers (sometimes 5) crowded around one of their guests. They are always standing on the treadmills next to her and just talking to her, not exercising. One of them is actually her trainer but the others are just there to have a conversation with the gym hottie. They end up taking up 2 of the treadmills (usually one of the better ones and "my" treadmill...you know you have your favorite spot) If they are on the good one I'll usually ask them if I can use it and they will move but they still hang around and talk to her. They end up taking up so much space and I feel like my personal space in invaded by them. The other issue I have is I feel like I'm running with an audience. I know it's a gym and it's only in my head that they're watching me but I get so nervous to run because what if I'm breathing too hard and they judge me for pushing too hard or something. The last and final issue is cologne. Oh my gosh these trainers take showers in their cologne. It makes it nearly impossible to catch my breath when I'm running because my air is cologne fumes.

I don't know what to do about the situation. I feel like I can't complain because it's a free membership but I am just so frustrated with the whole situation. What would you do?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    mention it to the gym management- someone manages those people. Say something casually. I call out trainers all the time if it needs to happen. (cue new trainer- new client- trainer asking new client obviously out of shape to do a weigh that was exceeding the clients capacity- manager knew within the week from what I saw).

Secondly: don't ever. EVER feel sorry or feel judged for asking to use a piece of equipment someone else is just breathing on.

If you need it- ask- then use it to the best of your ability. and don't waste a single nano second thinking of what they think of you breathing to hard.

it's a gym.

You are there to work hard.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    A well placed protein fart always helps me clear the area
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Works every time!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm a fan of chili + dead lifts- I have peace and quiet all night. :D
  • deana727
    deana727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Ok, maybe not this... but at the very least, you are a member. It doesn't matter that you didn't pay for it out of your wallet, you worked for it at your employer, it's part of your compensation, and your employer in some way paid or offered something of value in return to the gym ownership. There. No more excuses. Speak up, you're probably not the only one who has experienced it. For that matter, I'd ask them why they don't get out of the other woman's way. Isn't it obvious she is there to work out? Every one needs personal space.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    deana727 wrote: »

Ok, maybe not this... but at the very least, you are a member. It doesn't matter that you didn't pay for it out of your wallet, you worked for it at your employer, it's part of your compensation, and your employer in some way paid or offered something of value in return to the gym ownership. There. No more excuses. Speak up, you're probably not the only one who has experienced it. For that matter, I'd ask them why they don't get out of the other woman's way. Isn't it obvious she is there to work out? Every one needs personal space.

truth.

just b/c I get free sex with my BF doesn't mean he or I don't reserve the right to complain if things aren't quiet right. communication is key in every relationship- goes both ways.

Free does not mean you lose your right to speak.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Tell them you saw free C4 samples in the lobby.

You won't even see the after image of their shadows anymore.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I know it's a gym and it's only in my head that they're watching me but I get so nervous to run because what if I'm breathing too hard and they judge me for pushing too hard or something.
    I'll give you two words that will improve your life: So what.

If they're watching - so what.

If they're judging - so what.

Stop letting things that don't matter take up space in your brain. Stop letting other people control your emotions.

Odds are that they're caring way too much about the hot girl to worry about you, but even if they are - so freaking what. Let them judge. Who cares.

Ask yourself the "So what?" question. A lot. :)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    What's a treadmill????
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't use the dreadmill. Two problems solved at once!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's not free. It's one of your benefits. You work for it.

Talk to the manager-especially about the cologne. Most places are scent free anyway.

You could always write a letter if you're really uncomfortable speaking up-just make sure it's given straight to the manager. But my suggestion is just to speak up.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Your employer pays a significant amount of money for this membership.
    The gym staff are being unprofessional, and although initially you might be better mentioning it informally, if there is no change you should mention it to your employer.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would do more squats.
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Lift weights instead and your problem is solved. :)
  • alesia9
    Options
    Through my work I get a free gym membership to a small gym in town. I've been going for the past three months and I love being able to use their equipment but it is really frustrating to go there. Every morning when I go there are at least 3 trainers (sometimes 5) crowded around one of their guests. They are always standing on the treadmills next to her and just talking to her, not exercising. One of them is actually her trainer but the others are just there to have a conversation with the gym hottie. They end up taking up 2 of the treadmills (usually one of the better ones and "my" treadmill...you know you have your favorite spot) If they are on the good one I'll usually ask them if I can use it and they will move but they still hang around and talk to her. They end up taking up so much space and I feel like my personal space in invaded by them. The other issue I have is I feel like I'm running with an audience. I know it's a gym and it's only in my head that they're watching me but I get so nervous to run because what if I'm breathing too hard and they judge me for pushing too hard or something. The last and final issue is cologne. Oh my gosh these trainers take showers in their cologne. It makes it nearly impossible to catch my breath when I'm running because my air is cologne fumes.

I don't know what to do about the situation. I feel like I can't complain because it's a free membership but I am just so frustrated with the whole situation. What would you do?

That was a MAJOR turn off for me that ended my gym membership. Aside from the other part where the trainers try to come on to me and get me as a client. Talk to the managers or bring it up to your employer since its a benefit they pay for, for all of the emplyees. Otherwise, have you ever given home workouts a try...free of gawking trainers, judgement-free zone and cologne?
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Seems like they have a lot of deadweight working there, sucking up oxygen.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would mention it to management.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    ugh. such a bummer you're having that experience.

Please speak up to the management -- the gym should be the new version of "Cheers" where it's positive and fun. You're creating magic there. And the trainers of all people should be first on line to cheer you on (or whatever behavior from them you'd prefer, such as 'ignore') -- keep going, keep on rocking and being awesome, and by talking to the management about this situation, you're ultimately making for a better environment!

(squats and weights are also awesome complements. if ever you think of adding those, great. if you like treadmill and get great stuff out of it, that's awesome, too! )

((rats. grumbl grumbl late meetings and report deadlines. i wanna go back to the gym now. ))