Bike recommendations?

Options
Looking for some bikes for my hubby and I, don't want to spend more than $400 together, but don't want no cheap Walmart bikes. Any suggestions? Just something to get a good workout on, riding the local trails maybe a few hours a week.

Replies

• rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Maybe try Craigslist? It'll be tough to get 2 new bikes for that price point brand new. Good luck looking, it's a great workout!
  • johanneleger
    johanneleger Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to see the answer to your question. I have tried jogging and it's too hard on my knees. So I'm thinking biking would be better. Good luck on your "quest" of finding the right bikes.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I agree, craigs list, and your price point will not get you much. You might get lucky though.
    You may also want to visit any stores near where you live that RENT bikes. They often sell the old models.
  • jasonandabby
    Options
    I would save your money and get a good bike from a local bike store. Walmart bikes, although they say Mongoose or Schwinn are not high quality bikes. I had one and the derailers were not consistent and when shifting gears it wasn't smooth. You also need to decide if you want a mountain bike or a road bike.
    You can try craigslist but younmay pay 150.00 for a bike that will require that much or more to fix.
    The reason I suggest a NEW bike from a bike from a bike store is that they normally fit the bike to your size, they offer an adjustment after a few weeks of riding and then usually a free tune up after 4-6 months of riding.

I may not have answered your question, but without knowing what type of riding you will be doing it iskinda difficult. However I would suggest staying away from Walmart, yardsales and craigslist. You will be better off in the long run if you buy new bikes, even if it takes a couple of months to save up for them.

Better yet, have a yardsale this weekend and go buy new bikes with the proceeds.

Let me know what you decide.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used to own a top of the line bike and had all the best stuff on it, now I own one of those Wal-Mart bikes LOL. They are not as bad as they used to be, they carry some with schimano parts and some actual quality bikes if you pick right. The issue with those bikes is they most of the time have assosciates that know nothing about bikes building them, my husband got me one for my birthday and I spent about a week tweaking and adjusting the breaks and the gears and such and now you wouldnt be able to tell cuz it rides like a dream.

If he can or you know someone who can, it is actually worth the time and trouble if you need to spend little cash.
  • Emily102102
    Emily102102 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I read you don't want tn cheap walmart bike but I just wanted to say that I just bought my sister a bike from walmart (comfort I think it was called & it is suposed to be for causal rides or off roading she said she loves it..... the way the seat & handle bars are it keeps your back at more of an upright position has the springs for a smoother ride... she hasn't takin if hill climbing or off roading yet but she loves it... just thought I'd share that with ya hope you find what your looking for :)
  • jeseka619
    jeseka619 Posts: 21
    Options
    We do paved trails and even some of the wood trails in our area all of the time and we got bikes at Sports Authority a few years ago for about 200-250 each. Becuase we don't do rough trail riding or racing, etc they are perfect for us. We've done up to 30 mile trips on them - they're perfect and we didn't have to spend a ton. I don't think you need something super fancy/expensive if you are just looking for something to use a few times a week for recreation.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    try craigslist and go for brands like Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized.....those are nice quality bikes that you can pick up on craigslist for one to two hundred. My husband got a Gary Fisher on craiglist for 125 and it's an awesome bike! I bought my boys' bikes..a Trek and a Giant for around a hundred each.

Trust me on this one, and this is experience speaking, you are far more likely to stick with bicycling with a quality bike that fits you WELL. Take the time to go to a real bike store and have them fit you to a size and type of bike. Or test ride several different kinds of bikes before you pick one to buy. You'll know the type you like as soon as you ride it. I ride 4-5 times a week, now up to 20 miles at a time, and I know I wouldn't be doing it on a cheap bike. And I wouldn't have even started biking if I had a road bike, they just don't feel right to me. I like dirt-bike/ hybrids, with a more upright seating position...but not a cruiser, that's too upright! :)~
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I have a $150 Wal-mart Schwinn that I have almost 500 miles on. I also got a cateye enduro to go with it so I could track my speed and distance. 500 miles and still going strong. Can't beat that deal i don't think.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Windi38- what bike do you have?

I bought a Walmart bike a few years ago that was terrible to ride. I tried adjusting the gears and made it worse! The price of bringing it in to get adjusted isn't worth the price of the bike. And now it sits in the garage collecting dust.

Maybe the Schwinn ones aren't too bad, but I just hate Walmart anyway for a lot of reasons. Would rather buy from a local bike shop.