Help with hunger?

Options
What can I do to stop being so hungry all the time? I sometimes can't resist food. I need to lose a lot of weight.

Replies

• r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to eat food which are lower in calorie, yet very filling and full of fiber and protein.
    Like broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, certain fruits like berries...these are some foods which are lower in calories, yet rather filling, considering their portion size.
    Also protein is great for filling up, so things like chicken, fish, eggs...loads of options!
    Drinking enough is important too! It's easy to mistake hunger for thirst.
    Good luck with your journey! Don't get too disheartened!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. If you're exercising and using MFP's setup for calories, this means you can/should be eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories.

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to wait it out and be hungry for a little bit while that happens.
  • GoneGirl50
    GoneGirl50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good advice Dianne, just make sure the fats you choose are healthy fats. Example: throw some avacado in your sandwich or salad. It adds healthy fat, but also keeps you feeling full longer. Meal timing has made all the difference for me.
  • GoneGirl50
    GoneGirl50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I have never been able to stick with 1,200 calories a day. I need a number I can live with, so chose to lose at a slower pace. Also, I've noticed I'm hungrier if I don't exercise for 3 or more days. MFP allows more calories for exercise days. Try warm tea with skim milk, an apple, or almond/coconut milk in the evening. It's low calorie, and you won't go to bed hungry.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are you stats?
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    All of the above, plus learn the difference between being truly hungry and food cravings or thirst. Pay attention to your body over time and you'll learn the difference. Being unable to resist food and being hungry aren't the same thing. You'll be better able to resist overeating food, tough, if you don't let yourself get hungry. Small snacks off and on during the day helps me with that.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Why would asking for stats be reason to flag someone? :huh: It's only to figure out if you're eating the correct amount of calories... and help. Smh... :noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Aim for nutrient dense whole foods. Limit the refined processed carbs which only make you hungrier.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone. You want to find something to do to keep your mind off of food. i eat when I'm bored, tired. Tuesday at noon, Saturday at midnight. I am also an emotional eater so if I don't get involved in activities then I tend to eat hungry or not. Try taking a walk, reading a book, or calling a friend. If you are truly hungry then eat if you engage in an activity you may find that you weren't really hungry just bored. Just a thought. Good luck
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why would asking for stats be reason to flag someone? :huh: It's only to figure out if you're eating the correct amount of calories... and help. Smh... :noway:

Someone is stalking her posts and flagging all of them. I've noticed it in about every single thread she's posted in.
    It's ridiculous that someone would do that.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    chewing sugar free gum helps me.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Choose filling foods that are low in calories - veggies and lean protein are your friends! :-)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I shortened diannethegeek's post below to highlight it. This is awesome advice. I have experienced this on my own journey and have heard it over and over and over again from the multiple Personal Trainers and Nutritionists I've worked with. I even saw an interview with a sports psychologist that emphasized #6.
    My general tips for hunger:
    1. Make sure your calorie goals are accurately set appropriately.
    2. Eat healthy nutrient dense foods.
    3. Drink plenty of water.
    4. Get plenty of rest. Sleep and recovery days are important.
    5. Play around with your meal timings and sizes.
    6. Wait it out. Our bodies get used to a "normal" and retraining that "normal" can be uncomfortable, but it can be done.

Best of luck!!!!