Net calories, weight loss and eating disorders.

Options
Hi guys,
I'm 5'4 and ~145lbs. I'm hoping to get down to 120-125lbs. MFP told me to eat around 1300 calories a day. What does this mean in terms of exercising as well? I have a history of disordered eating and I'm not sure if how I'm seeing these numbers is rational or not. I'm happiest when my net cals are under 500. Is that reasonable? I'm eating over 1,000 a day, but I exercise typically 6 days a week and usually burn 200-800 calories depending on how much of a workout I get in. I don't own a scale, so I can only weigh in when I go somewhere that has one, but I haven't noticed any significant loss. I've finally gotten better control over myself recently, so a lack of weight loss is due to not sticking to healthy foods consistently. I'm really anxious that if my net calories exceed 500 a day that I will gain weight.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor. He can give you a good target goal weight and tell you how many calories to eat a day. He can also recommend a dietician - with any luck, one who specializes in EDs.

If you have a therapist, touch base with them.

Once ana/mia, always ana/mia. You have to be careful when losing or you'll end up slipping into bad habits. Never, ever skip a meal.

Good luck!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Your fear of gaining over a 500 cal net for the day is telling me you need to speak to a professional. It sounds like your disordered eating still has a strong hold over you, and you should not be pursuing any weight loss without the guidance of professionals.

You need to be eating far more than 1,000 calories per day, and net far more than 500.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You should see your doctor. He can give you a good target goal weight and tell you how many calories to eat a day. He can also recommend a dietician - with any luck, one who specializes in EDs.

Once ana/mia, always ana/mia. [\b] You have to be careful when losing or you'll end up slipping into bad habits. Never, ever skip a meal.

Good luck!

Not true at all. 10 years ago I was diagnosed with bulimia. I was considered "recovered" a year later. Now I have absolutely no symptoms and able to begin weightloss is a healthy manner. Recovery is possible.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Once ana/mia, always ana/mia. [\b] You have to be careful when losing or you'll end up slipping into bad habits. Never, ever skip a meal.

Good luck!

Not true at all. 10 years ago I was diagnosed with bulimia. I was considered "recovered" a year later. Now I have absolutely no symptoms and able to begin weightloss is a healthy manner. Recovery is possible.

Eating disorders never go away. It is good that you are in a good place for you. But this is not possible for everyone. You are still in recovery, albiet in a healthy place.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Eating disorders never go away. It is good that you are in a good place for you. But this is not possible for everyone. You are still in recovery, albiet in a healthy place.

No I am not in recovery. If you were to look in my medical file it says "recovered" not "in recovery". There is a HUGE difference. If someone asked for med medical problems they would get a list of: bp type II, and severe allergies. Nothing about an ED.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Good luck!

No I am not in recovery. If you were to look in my medical file it says "recovered" not "in recovery". There is a HUGE difference. If someone asked for med medical problems they would get a list of: bp type II, and severe allergies. Nothing about an ED.

Yes but I think what she means is that it is always possible for an eating disorder to start up again. My sister is a good example of this. From age 15 -18 She was recovering on and off. She got back to being a healthy weight for a few years and she no longer had to seek therapy then she had some issues with study and went back into her eating disorder for another 4 years until she was hospitalized. This went on until she was 30 and now she's a healthy weight again and has been for the last 2 years. =)

I think what Kalikel was getting at is that if you had an eating disorder and recovered. You can still fall back into it one day, which is why if you start to think you are falling back into it, you should seek help ASAP to get help ASAP so it doesn't take over your life. If it's a false alarm then no ones going to think you're silly, they'll be happy that you are on track and you determined to stay healthy.

It's tough recovering from eating disorders. So well done! I guess it's one of those large obstacles in life and having fought through it must have been hard but i'd imagine you are now stronger =). I hope you all the best with your journey! (*)

^This.

I hate to use this comparison but it's just like when you quit smoking. After a year, your insurance will allow you to claim yourself as a non-smoker, but that doesn't mean you don't face triggers every now and again that might lead you to start up once more.

You can be doing very well and "declared" recovered from your eating disorder medically, but psychologically, it is always something you have to make sure you don't fall back into because of triggers and resurfacing habits/negative thoughts.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    OP, if you aren't currently working with a therapist/counselor/psychologist, then I highly suggest you consider seeing one as soon as possible.

Here's a link that might be able to help you:

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I'm 5'4 and ~145lbs. I'm hoping to get down to 120-125lbs. MFP told me to eat around 1300 calories a day. What does this mean in terms of exercising as well? I have a history of disordered eating and I'm not sure if how I'm seeing these numbers is rational or not. I'm happiest when my net cals are under 500. Is that reasonable? I'm eating over 1,000 a day, but I exercise typically 6 days a week and usually burn 200-800 calories depending on how much of a workout I get in. I don't own a scale, so I can only weigh in when I go somewhere that has one, but I haven't noticed any significant loss. I've finally gotten better control over myself recently, so a lack of weight loss is due to not sticking to healthy foods consistently. I'm really anxious that if my net calories exceed 500 a day that I will gain weight.
    Hi Katie,
    I advise that you speak with your doctor about getting into a program that treats eating disorders. You say you have a history of disordered eating, but it sounds to me like your eating disorder is very much in the here and now.

500 calories is not enough fuel for your body to get you across the street, so to speak. In fact, even 1,000 per day is way too low. Exercising creates even a bigger calorie deficit.

The best of luck to you.

• SLLRunner
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Never mind. :)

• katiehunter921
    katiehunter921 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies y'all. My ED was never enough to qualify for hospitalization. I was never that good at it. My mom once threatened to take me to the hospital after I dropped some weight, but I was still in a healthy weight range so its not like they would have done anything. I can't really afford to see a doctor, but I can go to counseling on campus for free. Maybe I'll look into that.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies y'all. My ED was never enough to qualify for hospitalization. I was never that good at it. My mom once threatened to take me to the hospital after I dropped some weight, but I was still in a healthy weight range so its not like they would have done anything. I can't really afford to see a doctor, but I can go to counseling on campus for free. Maybe I'll look into that.

Please do. You mentioned that you weren't sure if the way you were seeing the numbers was rational, I can assure you that what you describe is not rational. Take care of yourself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Awesome decision, good luck!
  • missiontofitness
    Options

So glad you're looking into counseling on campus. Good luck!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Great job in reaching out for counseling. Not enough people can recognize the need for it in themselves.

As for the technical side of things, when MFP tells you to eat 1300 calories. They mean you should net 1300 calories. If you do 400 calories of exercise that day, you should eat 1700 calories (1700-400=1300 net). MFP already has the required deficit built in, so if you change that deficit with exercise, you should make up for it with more food.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Katie,

I am so glad that you'll be looking into counseling on campus. :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Just want to say that this answer made my day. I really hope that you go and that things get better :) Best of luck to you OP! :):flowerforyou:

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You're probably just trying to make light of the situation, but phrasing it like this is a little red flag. Going to see a counselor could really be helpful. If for no other reason, college is wicked expensive these days, and you should take advantage of every single resource they will give you for free!

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Good luck!

It is my personal opinion that there are no ex-alcoholics and no ex-ana/mias. Once it's been a part of you, you need to stay on guard, especially when participating in the behavior that took you down that road.

Alcoholics shouldn't drink. If they do, they should keep a serious eye on how much, why they're drinking, if they're enjoying it too much, if they're letting it go too far.

Ana/mia people shouldn't restrict. If they do, they should keep a serious eye on how much they're restricting, if they're fasting, how much they're liking the fasting, if they're doing too much exercise, etc.

I honestly believe that once you've recovered, you should never miss a meal, even if it's a tiny one. The fasting is too addicting for most, especially once you throw in exercise. If you purge, even ONCE, you should immediately set up appointments with the doctor, therapist and nutritionist.

Might there be exceptions? There might. But making sure you never skip a meal won't hurt you. Fasting could.

People with a history of ana/mia should have their weight loss journey overseen by a doctor. Everyone should! But they, especially, should. It's the smart way to stay healthy.

I appreciate other viewpoints. I think it's really good for people who are interested in this stuff to get different viewpoints! So, yay diversity there. :)

That's my viewpoint.

• skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Great decision to see a counselor. If you're willing to do the work, you can get past this. And part of your recovery will be learning that you can change your body without feeling bad about yourself. But that might be down the road for you. If you're struggling with guilt, anxiety, and fixating over calories, MFP might not be the place for you right now. Best of luck in your recovery- it will be hard, but you can do it, and there's a good chance that it will be the hardest thing you ever do. Once you beat this, you can do anything. Take care and be well.