ZUMBA/CARDIO DANCE

Options
Hey! So I figured that I would ask you all this and see what your responses are. I have a small class that I have to provide some working out activities for them to do. I do know some zumba, but I doubt its really appropriate enough.... It's got to be somewhat low key and easy. Does anyone know any good youtube videos??? Zumba or Cardio dance ones! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can't teach Zumba unless you are a licensed instructor, it's a big no no! But there are tons of dance cardio videos on Youtube that you could learn and then do, but you can't refer to it as Zumba.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Zumba Gold is Zumba for seniors, and Zimbini and Zumba kids are for the rugrats. Both of those probably have some videos showing a toned-down version of cardio dance. I believe you can't call it Zumba unless you're licensed, but there's no reason you can't do the same stuff. It's not like their choreo is patented :)
  • mizzlady524
    mizzlady524 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can make it just a cardio dance class and just use different dance moves, squats, lunges, grapevines, etc. Watch any dance video to get ideas. Best wishes!
  • mizzlady524
    mizzlady524 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ecuachic17 has good videos you could watch.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You can't teach a Zumba class without an instructors license. You also really shouldn't be teaching a group fitness class without a group fitness certification. The best thing to do is to become licensed in a format and get your group fitness crrtificstion because otherwise you can easily lead your class participants into injuries.
  • LMYERS94
    LMYERS94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is only a one time thing, and I'm not really teaching it just trying to get people to be more active. It's for a project at school where we go and just kinda do some type of thing to get them moving and show them the importance of adding physical activity to their daily lives. just asking for some good online videos to show them that they could follow.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How old are the kids? Depending on age they don't really "follow" a structured class/routine the first time you teach them. I teach Jazzercise & when I taught a Jrs class we did some routines choreographed for them, broken down in bits & then put together over several classes, but also did some stuff they would think of as play instead of exercise.

Example...a relay where they had to run the length of the gym (or half the length if they were small). The starting person was dressed in a straw hat, sunglasses, lei. Once they got to the opposite end of the gym they had to pass those things to the next person who then had to run & pass to the person on the opposite end.

Jazzercise choreography is copyrighted so check to be sure Zumba isn't although maybe it won't matter for a 1-time thing.