Is couch to 5k possible

Options
_kingbooble
_kingbooble Posts: 25 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Is there a safe weight to start the couch to 5k. I am 223lbs at mo and have been walking for about a year and am able to walk in the 3-4mph area and can easily do 5-8 miles I am reaching the point where I am feeling that I can go faster walking but am concerned running may do damage?

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    search. c2 5k.
    thousands heavier than you have done it.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you feel you can do it, try it. That`s what I find, if I feel I can do more I do and if I fail just take a step back and build up to it again
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try it. If you find that one of the days it is a little too much, then go back to the day before.
    If it's not for you, then stop.
    But who knows, you might love it!
  • fevdean38
    fevdean38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was 245lb at 23 years old when i first started running, it was a real struggle at first but i kept at it.
    I'm now 39 and running 10-12k once a week and 5k 4-5 times a week.
    If you feel you can do it then go for it.
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K back in April with 2 dodgy knees and a dodgy ankle but the gradual progression through it has helped to strengthen them. (and the ankle brace and knee supports I use each run)

Most of my "runs" back then were more like a steady plod but I'm still going 3 to 4 times a week running my 5k route.

If you do decide to go for it then don't beat yourself up if you have a "failed" run, just do that session again another day, and again and again if need be until you feel confident to go onto the next session - we all have bad runs sometimes (I had an epic fail on the last day where I didn't even make it to 1.5K)

Most importantly if you do get an injury make sure it has completely healed before you go out again otherwise you risk making the injury worse. I have had a pulled muscle a couple of months ago which took over 2 weeks to heal, but the effort put in before then is not lost.

If you are at all unsure then check with your doctor.

Most of all have fun, the sense of achievement at the end of each run in the programme is great.

Best of luck
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible. It will take work, but you can do it!
  • trfree1
    trfree1 Posts: 12
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was in your same situation. In July, I had been walking 5-6 miles daily for close to a year. I decided one day to jog to the end of the block. I was huffing and puffing but I decided to just start jogging a few blocks of every walk so they would be more efficient and take less time. By end of July I was jogging a mile without stopping. I kept at it and over the next 4 weeks increased distance slowly so that by the time I turned 50 on Sept 10th, I was jogging 3 miles 5-6 days per week at a steady 12 min per mile pace! I had never run before in my life and never dreamed I could do it. So....the answer is YES! Good shoes, strength training, stretching and hydration are key. Go for it!! Oh and at the time weighed 235ish and now am down to 216. Had lost 70 lbs with tracking and walking, and now am at 92 lb weight loss from my heaviest a year ago.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've gone running at 240lbs, so you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you focus on the correct stride (basically "learn to run", a bad technique could easily jar your joints and lead to all the problems you worry about) and get a good pair of running shoes that are suited to your gait. Get to a decent running shop that will do gait analysis and ask them to fit you up with a good pair of shoes.

If you don't quite feel ready to hit the tarmac, get on a treadmill, they are sprung so are much easier on the legs and will allow you to reach a decent level of fitness before you outgrow it and want to get outdoors.

Work up slowly and find a realistic plan and stick to it, there's nothing worse than pushing yourself too quickly and winding up with an injury.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about physical injury or increasing the intensity of your workouts consult with your doctor.

But yes, many heavier than you and probably more out of shape than you have completed a 5k. Alot of people who think they can't do it, can do it. I am a big advocate of signing up for races and events and finishing them. Coming in last place is better than not finishing which always trumps never even starting. Everyone starts somewhere. Best of luck :)
  • _kingbooble
    Options
    Many thanks for all the answers and support!

I don't know why I have been worried giving it a go guess thought being this weight would foobar the knees and ankles, but shall take on board the advice to start carefully and not over do it. I am going to look into some running shoes. Where I would run is a grassland mostly and hopefully better for the body. I have had a couple of test outs maybe only 20 paces but feel I could do a bit more so we'll see :smiley:
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I started close to 300 pounds with the c25k, and others have started higher than me. If you are concerned just take it slow, and then go even slower. I did get sidelined by an injury for a while, but that was mostly because I wasn't stretching, not because of my weight. Now at 273, and almost fully recovered, my physical therapist gave me the go ahead to run again. So go slow, and make sure to stretch!!!
  • _kingbooble
    Options
    Ok I have C25K on my Runkeeper :) So here we go......
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    The biggest reason people get injured when starting running is going too fast. Now C25K helps you with not progressing too quickly, but you also should start at a slower pace as well. Don't try to sprint the running segments. Even if your run pace is as slow as your walking pace, it's ok. Take it slow and you'll progress over time.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    good luck
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    It worked for me! And I didn't learn until much later how important it is to stretch AFTER your run. If you will do that, you will eliminate most of the soreness and "lead leg" feelings the next day. Plus it just feels really good to stretch it out. You can do it!
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The biggest reason people get injured when starting running is going too fast. Now C25K helps you with not progressing too quickly, but you also should start at a slower pace as well. Don't try to sprint the running segments. Even if your run pace is as slow as your walking pace, it's ok. Take it slow and you'll progress over time.

This x2
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just give yourself to repeat days/weeks as needed. I have frequently found I need to do Week 5 Twice before I'm ready to move on...
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Of course it's possible. It will take work, but you can do it!

Lis stop with the abuse already!?!

WTF!